Bluefield vs. Weir - Projections and Discussion

Sources

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluefield undoubtedly. I've been told we have more overall team speed than Weir, but like I said earlier, this game will be decided by the passing game. I honestly don't expect Weir to have much success running on us unless they can open up the pass a bit and get our guys to play back on their heels.

Contrary to popular belief in Bluefield, there are those in Monroe County who want to see Bluefield win Saturday because they think last week was a run-up. Personally, I think it was on James Monroe to stop Weir so that a game like that doesn't happen, but they didn't and we've done the same thing to other teams in the past, so I won't say much about that.

Having had time to digest what happened last week, I do think that Bluefield will win a close game against Weir. I was dead wrong when I said that no one was suspended last week, I thought they were injured. Anthony Scarfino and Shariff Mohammad, who were wingback, and blocking back resctfully, and also starting DB's were suspended for a hazing incident that they were stupid enough to film, and that's as far as I'll discuss that. While Weir almost certainly have won anyway, this has to be factored into the blowout, and the 8 TD tosses. James Monroe had everyone against Bluefield.

It's also important that 5 scored came from Weir's # 21 Jack Crow, and IMO, Fred Davis can shut him down 1 on 1. Another thing is that Weir's QB loves to scramble outside the pocket, and I'm not sure that's going to be very healthy against a fast team like this. Weir has VERY good receivers, who could catch a 30 lb. greasy rock, but they're going against a secondary that is probably the fastest they've seen this year.

The 2 biggest things I think Bluefield has going for them is the turnaround that Weir has this week, 2 consecutive 300 mile trips, and probably a lost day of practice on Thanksgiving. Think back to the lst team that made the trip south like this, Martinsburg. The result, Martinsburg got beat by Bluefield. The second is that the element of surprise is gone. I think the Bluefield underestimated Weir last season, and nearly paid the price. This year, there is 0% chance of happening, especially when Weir's beaten the first 2 teams as bad as they have.

If the mentality of the Weir fanbase is any indication to that of the football team, then Weir is drastically underestimating how good Bluefield is. They seem to have this fixation that we aren't as good because we lost Martin, Steele, Mariotti, Pannell, and Williams. I was also told that our offensive line was "soft".

[ QUOTE ]

i'm glad all you people think its going to be a blowout b/c it will be that much sweeter when the riders are headed back north to weirton on i77 thinking about going to wheeling island and you guys are still at mitchell stadium thinking, man that's three years in a row we haven't brought home the title!!!haha...weir will win this ball game!!!im glad you don't give them a chance, b/c noone did last year and remember what happened!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA... Thats funny! Just because you guys scored 60 some points against James Monroe you think you have it in the bag. Well think again my friend. This is not going to be the Mavericks you'll be playing saturday.

nobody said "weir has it in the bag"...i just think that it's funny that everyone in bluefield thinks the beavers are going to have no problem beating weir...nobody gave us a chance last year, and we came down there and took the #1 team at the time to 2 ots....if bluefield comes in thinking they already have it won, it might be another year before bluefield can think "state title!"

[ QUOTE ]

...i just think that it's funny that everyone in bluefield thinks the beavers are going to have no problem beating weir...

[/ QUOTE ]

So by this statement, I take it you have spoken to everyone to Bluefield. You wouldn't be making assumptions based on the statements of a few individuals would you?

so Weir thinks that everyone in Blfd is thinking like SOME people in WEIR??..seems that most of the Weir people think they are gonna roll over the Beavers..yet the Blfd people have given Weir their due in saying this was gonna be a tuff hard game, but some from Weir dont see it that way..it'll be a quiet, solitary ride back up 77...

i just hope this is a good game,i am hoping for a win from the red riders but if Bluefield wins then i wish them the best. i just hate to drive all the way from North Carolina to watch a lop sided game . i personally think it will be a battle. everyone keep they're fingers crossed for some decent weather.....can anyone give me directions to the stadium...i would really appreciate it. thanks <font color="red"> </font>

You cannot judge all of Weirton by one or two people who post, I certainly don't judge all of Bluefield by the people who post on this board. The Weir team has nothing but respect for the Beavers and are looking foreward to the game because they like evenly matched competition. As for those Beaver fans who think the game will be a blow out with the Beavers victorious, THINK AGAIN. Both teams are fueled by memories of last year, the games that knocked them out of the championship respectivly. Perhaps Weir will not hold Bluefield to 14 pts, but The Beavers will also not be able to hold Weir to 14pts either.Both teams have explosive offenses and first rate defenses. As for running up the score on other teams, it can hardly be helped. We start substituting at the half and by the end of the game all of the freshmen have played also. They still keep on scoring.What are they to do, stop playing because they feel sorry for the other team? I can hear the coach now, "Don't get that first down, your making the other team feel bad, and if you get a good run, slow down so the other team can catch you." laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif It has been stated that Weir doesn't have much speed, but imagine the score if they did. How much quicker do you think they need to be? When I started reading this board, it seemed the Beaver fans respected Weir; as long as they were playing someone other than Bluefield they had nice things to say. My prediction Weir 35 Bluefield 28. See You Saturday. GO RIDERS!

I think this game is ours for the taking, it just depeneds how we play if we bring our A- game we can still win i believe.....but if we play to our full potential. then i think ill be leaving at half-time like the other 10 games that we blew out opponents.......i say beavers-31 red riders-17

[ QUOTE ]

and you guys will have to buy a ticket to the Island to watch us win number 8 next Friday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound awfully confident.

[ QUOTE ]

They have rose to the challenge all year, and I full expect them to finish the job....12 down 2 more to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought everyone said that last year??? What makes you so sure that you can finish the job? wasnt it 21-20 last year? No one on here has any right to say bluefield is the best in the state until they have held that championship trophy up. And remember just because you have been to the last 2 state championships doesn't mean you have an advantage over the other team. Remember the Buffalo Bills went to the Super Bowl 4 times in a row and did they ever win? NO. Going doesnt mean anything until you win it. Good teams get there but great teams finish it off.

phs tiger, unlike buffalo we are talking about a state championship not the super bowl. but in defense of blfds. state championship record we are 7-3 i think, or something like that. most of the wins being in AAA. what is p.h.s. state championship w-l record. losing is never good but when you have been up state as often as we have your bound to lose a few.

Hey, someone quickly remind me how many state titles Princeton has. Oh yeah, ZERO. Quickly, someone remind me how many times Princeton has played for a state title. Oh yeah, again ZERO. Someone remind me how many times Princeton has even made the state semi-finals in football. Oh yeah, it's that same number of ZERO. Wow, there sure a lot of zeros aren't there?

Who would you rather be, the Bluefield (Buffalo) "Bills" with four state title games losses, but also seven championships or the Princeton (Arizona) Cardinals who have never accomplished anything?

everyone always wants to refer to the Buff Bills when talking about Blfd's championship losses, but they fail to mention the fact that the Beavers have 7 (seven) state titles

I'll have to agree that when you've won 7 titles that does cut you some slack. However, even if Bluefield didn't have any of those titles, that doesn't make this team they have right now any easier to beat, and as much as I hate to say it, I just have a gut feeling that Weir's going to find that out the hard way Saturday. One thing I think I can say with some degree of certainty is that Bluefield won't have to worry about losing 4 in a row next year, because I seriously doubt we'll be talking about them this time next year with the young team they'll have.

regardless of past titles and performances, it will have no bearing on saturdays game... it will boil down to which team has the fewest mental mistakes, penalties, and turnovers. all the talk on any board is just merely opinions of bystanders and its all good, so take it for what its worth... weir will have kudos for their team and blfd the same. i just hope its not a 2ot game...

if it takes 12 ots to win thats fine, but the intensity is agonizing... and makes a win that much sweeter (last yr vs weir) and a loss that much more painfull (last yr poca)...