1a football

chasing6

If all the necessary work is/was put in this off season Honaker should be a much improved football team. That was the youngest team the orange had put on the field in a very long time.

Listen I know Hurley is a scrappy bunch. The always have 2-5 pretty good football players. Brady could start for any school in swva. I guess what I'm trying to say is this news always comes barking out of Hurley and the never live up to the hype.

Ive been on the side of the Hurley hype that you are now and ive made the same argument that you are making. Last years Hurley team was the best that ive seen and this years should be pretty good too.  It should be interesting. If I had to bet my money would be on the Tigers

For what my 2 cents are worth. I believe depth does play a major role, but not in the sense it's being portrayed here. I think if Hurley can get the luck of the draw and avoid injuries then a 20-25 man team could beat Honaker. Since 2005 Hurley has field3e some impressive teams (for 200 kid school) without having stepped over that pedestal. Why? because they have lost a key player or two every year. I really believe if Hurley would've scheduled their tougher opponents earlier in the season we wouldn't be having this discussion now. With that being said, one key injury and the same outcome will once again occur. My opinion, Hurley will fall again to Honaker, just too many games to avoid Injury before they meet.

I disagree. Hurley runs out of gas in the 4th, thats just a fact. Nothing against them but its hard to play every snap for 4 quarters and thats what they've had to do for years. If Hurley could get 7-8 solid(size and ability) linemen so that the OL didn't have to play both ways the whole game they would be much improved but thats a tall order at such a small school

I disagree. Hurley runs out of gas in the 4th, thats just a fact. Nothing against them but its hard to play every snap for 4 quarters and thats what they've had to do for years. If Hurley could get 7-8 solid(size and ability) linemen so that the OL didn't have to play both ways the whole game they would be much improved but thats a tall order at such a small school

This^^^^^^^

Depth, especially up front, is underrated.  Galax had plenty of size and bodies at the beginning of last season but lacked experience in most of them.  As the season progressed, coaching and development galvanized 8 guys into a solid unit that were interchangeable.

Results speak for themselves.  In last seasons playoffs, starter for starter, with the exception of Caleb Spurlin, Hurley had as much talent as Galax regardless of position.  What Hurley lacked that Galax had in spades were replacements in the trenches that were equal in ability and strength to the starters.  Hurley wore down as the game progressed and ultimately lost 28-12.  

Hurley not near as talented up front......Galax along with Spurlin had Echegaurey (72/27) 4 year starter       Edwards(63) 3 year starter    and Brown (69) all 3 were by far the best lineman and most talented lineman on field......not even close 

Sorry but I could not disagree more with your assessment

Hurley not near as talented up front......Galax along with Spurlin had Echegaurey (72/27) 4 year starter Edwards(63) 3 year starter and Brown (69) all 3 were by far the best lineman and most talented lineman on field......not even close

Sorry but I could not disagree more with your assessment

The score was 14-6 well into the 4th quarter. Not very indicative of a team "not near as talented" being that competitive with a team far more talented.

Do not refute that Hurley had talent.....my focus is your statement   "with the exception of Caleb Spurlin Hurley had as much talent as Galax regardless of position".....Galax did not play well that night ...lackluster etc. while Hurley played inspired football.   But the difference in talent was considerable even if it didnt translate to the score thru the first 3 quarters.

Either way it was a good ball game and the point of thread that Hurly struggles with depth is without question.

Do not refute that Hurley had talent.....my focus is your statement "with the exception of Caleb Spurlin Hurley had as much talent as Galax regardless of position".....Galax did not play well that night ...lackluster etc. while Hurley played inspired football. But the difference in talent was considerable even if it didnt translate to the score thru the first 3 quarters.

Either way it was a good ball game and the point of thread that Hurly struggles with depth is without question.

How predictable. At the very least, you could be somewhat original. The "my team didn't play well or they would have destroyed the opponent" argument is lame.

Couldn't one make the argument, Galax was "lackluster" in appearance because the talent Hurley had on the field was limiting opportunities? Isn't that the objective of team compitition?

My initial response was not to short-change Hurley or make excuses for Galax.....I was just many a stating I believe Galax is more more talented  with Echeguary/Edwards/Brown   on the LOS.  Obviously Hurley  was well prepared and played hard.    Mine was just a general observation not intended to provoke or demean anyone. 

Imo Hurley had better Backs(excluding Spurlin) while Galax was much better up front.  Galaxs players were bigger overall. Talent wise though, Hurley was on par overall

How much of what Hurley had last season is coming back?  

I think a potential playoff matchup of Hurley vs Patrick Henry would be awesome to watch with those two rbs.

I think Hurley returns quite a bit. Always hearing they're getting transfers but even if they don't they'll be hard to handle.

• 3 months later...

What I want to know is what happened to Honaker at "the Cliff" Friday night !!   Who was it that said Honaker would take this one !!  Also I was told Honaker really only scored 7 points, the rest were scored by the refs, I'm just saying what I was told so don't shoot the messanger !!