Bburg

Dookthecook

Word on street.  Most powerful of Offenses and the D is legit. What a recipe? Some saying GIles very close to making plays on O. Need much work on D. THen again how many can equal talent of Bruins.  I say Giles 8-2  .  Playing well at playoff time. I say Bburg and Salem could be a razzle doozle.

It's gonna take a team with a lot of speed to compete with the Bruins. They are beatable but it's gonna take a special team. Giles was able to move the ball some. Left 2 scores off the board when we got close to or inside the red zone and stalled out. I'm sticking with my 8-2 prediction for Giles with another loss coming to Graham or Glenvar. We have a lot of youth on the defensive side. The coaches will have them ready come playoff time.

3 hours ago, BlackWolf5 said:

What about Richlands you think they stand a chance at upsetting Blacksburg?

I'll reserve judgement until we see how they do against Union, but it certainly doesn't look good as of now. 

I can assure you that Blacksburg is going to score. A lot. If Richlands wants to win, they need to play a possession-type offense and score when they are in the red zone. That's going to be the only way they win, I think. Gotta shorten the game and make sure you come away with points. 

The blues defensive backs looked lost the whole game friday night...not sure whats going on there but a team that can pass the ball will score at will if mance dont figure whats the problem there....worst i seen the db's play at rhs since the late 90s...

I think the perception of Blacksburg by some is that they have speedy Beck and a good line and block well and let him bust lose and TD!  That perception likely should be, a very balanced offensive team that has the best QB Richlands will face all year and they can pass it as good or better than they run the ball. I believe they had more passing yards against Giles than they did rushing yards.  

For Richlands To Win: Long, long, and longer sustained drives on the ground eating up 6 and 7 minutes per possession with no fumbles or giveaways and scoring in the redzone, not kicking field goals, but finishing.  Then, they need 3 Blacksburg turnovers.  If this happens, Richlands can and will win.  I think Blacksburg is to much though.  They can score from the air in a hurry, and as quick as they can on the ground with Beck.  Mance really needs to consider old school Richlands football in this game and limiting the passing game if possible.  If Richlands has 2nd and 5, do not throw the ball.  Force Blacksburg to stop the run.  Never count out Mance and Richlands and those Richlands lineman.  They are as physical as they come and Blacksburg simply is Not going to best or get the better or Richlands up front.  It's just not going to happen.  It may be neutral and a 50-50 even split, but up front, Richlands is always at or near the top.

Final:  Blacksburg 35, Richlands 21

Richlands has always been good against the run....ive seen them hold teams that has ran the ball over everbody to single digits..not sure they have faced a back as good as beck but if history repeats its self beck may have the lowest rushing yards of any game this season...

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

I think the perception of Blacksburg by some is that they have speedy Beck and a good line and block well and let him bust lose and TD!  That perception likely should be, a very balanced offensive team that has the best QB Richlands will face all year and they can pass it as good or better than they run the ball. I believe they had more passing yards against Giles than they did rushing yards.  

For Richlands To Win: Long, long, and longer sustained drives on the ground eating up 6 and 7 minutes per possession with no fumbles or giveaways and scoring in the redzone, not kicking field goals, but finishing.  Then, they need 3 Blacksburg turnovers.  If this happens, Richlands can and will win.  I think Blacksburg is to much though.  They can score from the air in a hurry, and as quick as they can on the ground with Beck.  Mance really needs to consider old school Richlands football in this game and limiting the passing game if possible.  If Richlands has 2nd and 5, do not throw the ball.  Force Blacksburg to stop the run.  Never count out Mance and Richlands and those Richlands lineman.  They are as physical as they come and Blacksburg simply is Not going to best or get the better or Richlands up front.  It's just not going to happen.  It may be neutral and a 50-50 even split, but up front, Richlands is always at or near the top.

1 hour ago, TTownTigers said:

BBURG D is underrated. They have mixture of simply GOOD!  Bburg 42 Richlands 14

If Richlands keys on Beck then Tiquest Terry, Noah Ramsey, and Thomas Coffey will light them up in the secondary. Beck is not the best player on the team, but if he gets past the line of scrimmage and sees daylight then he's gonna turn on the jets and smoke everyone. As far as their qb goes, he cannot run at all but he throws bullets and when you have 3 really good receivers with an accurate qb, and a lightning fast running back you better have a special defense if you plan on holding them under 30 points.

5 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

If Richlands keys on Beck then Tiquest Terry, Noah Ramsey, and Thomas Coffey will light them up in the secondary. Beck is not the best player on the team, but if he gets past the line of scrimmage and sees daylight then he's gonna turn on the jets and smoke everyone. As far as their qb goes, he cannot run at all but he throws bullets and when you have 3 really good receivers with an accurate qb, and a lightning fast running back you better have a special defense if you plan on holding them under 30 points.

Coffey got hurt in the first series and Thad was pretty worried about him after the game. 

1 minute ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I thought that I seen him limping to the sidelines. Hoping it's nothing too serious, he definitely contributed their air attack.

He only had 1 catch Friday. Burg did all that without their top outside threat.

47 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Actually Grant can run and run very well, he just had all night to throw the football and didn't have to run. He had 1 rush for 7 yards.  Ask your friends from Glenvar  how he ran against them.  As for receivers lets mention  Cole Epperly , Hudson, Babcock , Stranaland, and VanGilder.  The Burg  had 8 kids with catches Friday night. And that's without any passes to  Beck.

1 hour ago, 1bburgfan said:

Actually Grant can run and run very well, he just had all night to throw the football and didn't have to run. He had 1 rush for 7 yards.  Ask your friends from Glenvar  how he ran against them.  As for receivers lets mention  Cole Epperly , Hudson, Babcock , Stranaland, and VanGilder.  The Burg  had 8 kids with catches Friday night. And that's without any passes to  Beck.

I forgot about Babcock but as far as the others I'm sure theyre good but they don't stand out like the other I mentioned. And while Grant may be able to run some he isn't a dual threat qb, he's a pocket passer and a very good one at that.

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

I thought Richlands was playing Union next?

They do play Union Friday night.  An announcer mentioned to Coach Mance on his post-game interview about the Blacksburg/Giles game.  His response "I am thinking about Union next week."  Sums it up nicely. 

Blacksburg plays a touch schedule including Salem on it of course, but even with Salem, Blacksburg will likely not face a better offense in Giles than any team it plays all season.  Salem will be right up there of course because you can bet, they have a smooth QB that can throw it well, and Salem is usually very well balanced running and throwing.  Having played Giles, Blacksburg likely has already faced its toughest offense in all 10 regular season games other than Salem.  By the way, Salem will have an equally potent defense to go with that offense.