Grundy's Schedule

jmarcum

Did Grundy pick up Haysi for that final game? The paper said they did but on schedules on this site it said they didnt. Plus they have three byes. If you add haysi they just have two. Why two? Does everyone else have two and if so, why?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone has two...the season is 12 weeks and 10 games...most have either the first or last week off and then one during the season. I guess that is for schedule conflicts to make it easier for teams to set dates.

and as far as i know the Haysi thing is not a done deal yet and if they can find anyone in a 5 state region to play other than Grundy you know they will.

[ QUOTE ]

"and as far as i know the Haysi thing is not a done deal yet and if they can find anyone in a 5 state region to play other than Grundy you know they will."

What is the rationale behind that comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

well they both have the SAME week open right now with only 9 games each...if they wanted to play Grundy don't you think that they would have set it up by now?

In that district 9-1 doesn't mean you make the playoffs...so I'm sure they will try to pick up something they "know" they can win if possible...playing Grundy is not a sure win for them so it would be best to either pick up an easy game or play only 9 since points won't count against you...however picking up a 10th game and winning could help the avg come playoff time.

make sense?

Haysi definitely needs to take what they can get and this is a good chance for them to beef up their schedule a little bit by playing Grundy. They may not have missed the playoffs last season at 9-1 if they would stop scheduling out of the Cumberland District. Honaker, GW, and Haysi have all been victims of their own crummy out of district schedules but at least Honaker and GW have added on some better teams this time.

No schedules have it yet because it hasn't been officially announced yet because they don't have a date yet. I was told early last week that they were working on a way to play it in Sept., which would mean a minimum of 2 other games would have to be moved.

Everyone had 2 bye weeks last year, too. In 2003, the ONLY Region D or IV team with a bye going into the playoffs was Castlewood.

[ QUOTE ]

No schedules have it yet because it hasn't been officially announced yet because they don't have a date yet. I was told early last week that they were working on a way to play it in Sept., which would mean a minimum of 2 other games would have to be moved.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are both off on the same open week last time I looked? confused.gif

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I think the haysi Vs. Grundy game will be a good one for Haysi, but could possibly hurt Grundy in the points System.

Well almost everybody is off on November 11th if thats the week you are talking about...other than that they don't have any common open weeks. Most teams don't want to play that week because they would prefer to have a week off before the playoffs start...and if they don't make the playoffs it allows the football players who play basketball to start getting ready for hoops.

Make sense?

How could it hurt Grundy in the points? They will likely be the favorite to win the game and it rarely hurts you when you beat a team that consistently averages 7 to 8 wins per year. If they would have had Haysi on their schedule last year I venture to say that they would have earned more points by winning that game than by winning any other game on their schedule with the exception of Richlands and alot more than playing a sub-par Kentucky team.

LIke you even know anything about playing a good team. DOnt even start talking about last years schedule because if hurley could've one atleast 4 of the games that we played then you can talk about it but it couldn't/wouldn't have happen.

[ QUOTE ]

How could it hurt Grundy in the points? They will likely be the favorite to win the game and it rarely hurts you when you beat a team that consistently averages 7 to 8 wins per year. If they would have had Haysi on their schedule last year I venture to say that they would have earned more points by winning that game than by winning any other game on their schedule with the exception of Richlands and alot more than playing a sub-par Kentucky team.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually Grundy got more points losing to Richlands last year then they would have received beating Haysi.

"actually Grundy got more points losing to Richlands last year then they would have received beating Haysi."

I don't know how you figured that or if you just came up with it off the top of your head but either way its total bull. Losing to Richlands last year earned Grundy 15 points...beating Haysi last year earned the winner 30 points, just in case you are not a math major thats double what you got for losing to Richlands. No one that Grundy defeated last year gave them more points than if they had beaten Haysi.

oh...well my bad...thought they got 14 from beating Haysi...I stand corrected.

Instead of talking a lot of trash just get it scheduled...both teams could use the game...and you guys sure didn't return any calls in previous months before you figured out no one else would play you...and Grundy did call you guys previously right? I know I heard they had tried to contact you guys (previously during original scheduling for the season) and got no return calls...so whatever that means?

It was not my intent to talk trash, sorry if that was the way it was perceived...just making simple statements thats all. I know the majority of Haysi fans and players have wanted to play Grundy every year ever since I can remember. When I was in school in the early 90's Haysi always called Grundy and they never wanted to play...then Grundy developed some pretty strong teams in the late 90's and played Haysi for a few years. You are right that Grundy did call Haysi this year and the call was not returned...I heard that also and made a post noting hard feelings from Haysi's coach because of a Copenhaver fake kneel touchdown pass with no time left on the clock in the '97 game with Grundy leading 13-0 I believe it was. I said in that post that I thought it was silly to still hold a grudge from 7 or 8 years ago and that I hope the two teams would schedule each other...I'm very glad they are going to play again and hope they will play every year. Haysi already has Clintwood and Honaker as close-by rival games so adding Grundy could just mean another geographical rival game for Haysi, so I'm all for that and I'm sure that most fans and players are too.

didn't mean to imply you were implying...lol.

anyway...would be a good close by game, hope it continues beyond 1 year or 2...as long as both teams can be competetive against each other why now? Always good to watch a game between two teams close to each other...sometimes it doesn't make sense to play - kinda like Twin Valley or Hurley vs. Grundy...no real point in those games happening over the past few years...would be nice to see them all be able to play each other and compete at the same level.

I'd like to see Grundy play Honaker, Gate City, Powell Valley, and Lebanon as well each year myself.

I think for Grundy any of these would be good for yearly schedules...to bad they can't seem to get together for whatever reason (schedules, points,etc etc):

Graham

Richlands

Tazewell

Carroll County (*only because they are in our dist.)

Gate City

Powell Valley

Honaker

Clintwood

Lebanon

Va High

Haysi

Abingdon

Marion

Every team should just play whoever they can. Who cares what everyone on some stupid board says. If it hasnt been said that Grundy played "cupcake" KENTUCKY teams at least 500 times in the past two years then it has never been said at all. Ill say this and everyone will have to agree. When you make a schedule of 10 opponents you never, ever know what that teams final record will be at the end of that season. You could schedule 3 state champions. You could schedule all 10 teams that go 0-10.

So add Prestonsburg, Painstville, Twin Valley, Hurley, whoever. This goes for any school. Everyone on here talks about ky crap teams but the fact is two of those teams Grundy beat last year were in the playoffs. What does that mean? They could have been potential champions. In 2002 Liberty Bedford started the season 0-4, im sure everyone wrote them off. A few months later they hoisted up the State Champions Trophy.

A few notable turn arounds in football recently:

Dakota Ridge High School, Littleton, CO. 3-7 (2003) 12-2(2004)State runner ups.

James Byrnes High School, Duncan S.C. 1-10(1996) That was 3 state titles ago and 8 playoff appearances ago.

Utep 2-11(2003) 8-3(2004)

Auburn 8-5(2003) 13-0(2004)

James Madison 6-6 (2003) 13-2 and National Champions (2004)

So no matter what the level of competetion in football that "cupcake" team from last year could be the next powerhouse. So fans of high school football just let em play whoever they can get on their schedule. lol.

i think we sould just get rid of districes in football b/c last year it really didnt matter b/c carroll finshed 4th(i think) and we still made the playoffs. so whats th point in them anyways?

[ QUOTE ]

i think we sould just get rid of districes in football b/c last year it really didnt matter b/c carroll finshed 4th(i think) and we still made the playoffs. so whats th point in them anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

So they can schedule games easily. We are having trouble scheduling 6 games, how will we schedule 10? Plus, the whole rivalry thing too.....