Grundy's Schedule

jmarcum

I don't think there is much difference at all in AA and A. Things may have changed a bit but I know when I played most of the AA teams couldn't contend with the top A teams. If I recall correctly my senior year I think the final poll in the Bristol Herald was something like: 1. Lebanon 2. Haysi 3. Coeburn 4. Appalachia 5.Graham

I would be willing to bet that in last years top 10 final poll atleast 7 and maybe 8 of the teams were single A: PV, GC, Honaker, Haysi, Lebanon, Burton, George Wythe, Clintwood.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion you have just lost all credability on this board. To say that Haysi had a better D than Grundy last year? And the only place we were better on O was Tailback?

Also, I would consider the 96 team better than the 97 team.

Yeah I said 97 thinking of the class of '97 but it was the '96 football team when they had Scammell, Copenhaver, Josh Justus and that crew.

With all the crazy junk that I have read on here I didn't know there was a credibility standard to be met...seems like most posters are high school players who think there team is the greatest no matter what evidence and facts you put before them. Thats all fine but try to be a little realistic. I wasn't the one who raised th issue of who was better between Grundy and Haysi last year but when I see someone make a post that there is no comparison and it would be a blow out I take exception to that if they don't have any basis or reasoning behind it. All I'm saying is why do you think that? If you are going to disrespect other teams or programs then have some kind of reasoning to back it up. I said that I thought both teams looked fairly equal with the exception of Grundy's tailback...I don't think that was a major shock to make that statement. I think it would have been a good game thats all...but they didnt play so we will never know.

You are talking about Jake Colley I assume? One of the more overrated football players in Haysi history in my opinion...great basketball player, good kid, overrated football player, well I take that back he was pretty tough at defensive back, just overrated at QB...and kicker smile.gif

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Grundsy D wasent as good as Haysi's last year. The only game Haysi give up any amout of points in was Honaker and Honaker nearly Beat Gate City (a team Richlands aslo barly lost to) So if I would say. Grundy 14 Haysi 28 last year. And by the way Jones had his over 1300 yards as a Soph. and somehwere around that range as a Jr. and he split time with that kid who transferred from Ervinton. SO it would be a toss up in who is better. Jones as a Jr. last year had over 100 takles also ( pretty close to A. Marcum) Sperrow Averaged over 3 sacks a game (Just as good or better than Owens) Colley ( all State 1rst team DB) and should I go on? grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

For some reason I feel your are going a little too far. Haysi played what, 12 games last year (im not really sure). So that means that guy had 36 sacks last season?

hmmmmmm confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahaha...

I'm sure he's gettin some looks from USC, OU, Texas, UT, Miami, VT, Florida and Auburn right now..

[ QUOTE ]

Haysi played 10 games last season. They went 9-1 and missed the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah there was a lot of flack about that and some sub .500 teams getting in...remember?

For what its worth:

I saw every game Grundy played last year and every game grundy played in 96 and 97. The 10-0 team I was on had a great defense. I was looking through the papers I had a few weeks back and at one point they had 4 straight shut outs and six overall. What you dont understand though is that last years team may have not been as big as those defenses but they had more speed. Colby owens off the edge and Looney were really good. I say that Colby Owens had the best season at DE at Grundy since I have been on or wathched the team starting in 95. Scott Justus was a beast but Colby was too and faster.

Grundys defense last season gets no respect because it lost to richlands. That game was a total mess up from play 1. You take away two garon fumbles and grundys defense doesnt have to work from the Redzone. Also a freshman stopped covering a wide reciver at half time because he thought when the buzzer sounded you stopped. He never played anything but basketball. So again a critical error. But other than that game they had a great season. Colby had 17 sacks I do believe. The only reason they didnt get more recognition and do more was an average Defensive Line. They didnt have the hosses we did back in the 8-2 and 10-0 season.

So Haysi 28-14. THats a stretch but thats my opinion being as I am one of the few be part of the old Grundy vs. Haysi game they are mad over, and to see Haysi play this year. I think that score would have been the other way around at 28-14 Grundy. Haysi reminds me a lot of Tazwell. Which I think would have beaten Haysi last year and Grundy beat Tazwell so you do the math. Haysi's best ever QB and WR were in the late 90's and set a lot of state records. They werent there last year so Grundy gets the edge.

But fun to debate anyways.

Do I sense an air of rivalry surfacing anew!! lol

Being a person with an opionion.. I'd pick Grundy by 2 TD's this year.. but if Coach Colley can stay close at the end.. He will out coach the Grundy staff! You guys that play had better flat out beat them, so theres no question at the end! Other than that it's 2 weeks till 2-Adays.. lol

Other than talking about who was better last year, which can never be solved because you didnt play. Focus this year.. Who've you go that can contribute? Haysi? we know about Jones and sperrow? Grundy we know about Marcum? So, who else comes to the table to contribute this year for each team?

What ya say Guys?

"So Haysi 28-14. THats a stretch but thats my opinion being as I am one of the few be part of the old Grundy vs. Haysi game they are mad over, and to see Haysi play this year. I think that score would have been the other way around at 28-14 Grundy. Haysi reminds me a lot of Tazwell. Which I think would have beaten Haysi last year and Grundy beat Tazwell so you do the math. Haysi's best ever QB and WR were in the late 90's and set a lot of state records. They werent there last year so Grundy gets the edge."

I agree that Grundy "COULD" have beaten Haysi last year maybe by 1 score if they played well...I wont argue that but totally disagree about Tazewell. You are right that one of Haysi's best receivers (Bostic) played against Grundy in the late 90's but you are incorrect about QB...the top 3 ever at Haysi: Gulley 85-87, Hackney 88-91, and Compton 92-95 never played against Grundy. Grundy and Haysi only met in the 96 and 97 seasons both of which were down years for Haysi(even though they still won the BDD both years) meanwhile Grundy had two of their best teams ever. The '96 game was 7-0 with only minutes to go in the game.

I give Grundy the advantage heading into this season...i dunno about last year, i think it would have been a very interesting match up. The reason Clintwood wanted to schedule Grundy is because they felt like they handled them last year in the preseason and Haysi beat Clintwood so to use your logic "you do the math."

We played like crap against Clintwood last year. Yes, there were some good plays, but overall, we weren't on top of our game. I think that in the Coal Bowl, we weren't to the point where we started to gel as a team. We didn't start playing team ball until week 5 or 6. With the Jones and Sperow vs. Marcum and Owens argument, it would be tough for any two defensive players to top Marcum and Colby. The only really weak spots we had on defense were the weak side D-Tackle and one cornerback, and that kind of changed around the end of the year when Tigh was healthy and Chris Ratliff stepped up and held his own.

On offense, I don't think Jones could have hung with Marcum or Looney. Also, in the later games, Bronson Brown kind of stepped up and made an impact with the deep ball. I just don't think Haysi could have matched Grundy's talent at all last year.

I agree that Haysi and Grundy would have been a good game last year. I think Colley is a great coach and he can take an average team and make it look like an all-star team. The last time i seen these two teams play was in 96 and it was a great game. It was only 7-0 with 5 minutes left to play and i think grundy ended up winning 20-6. That was when grundy went 10-0. That same year Huley beat Haysi in the first round playoffs 18-6. That was also some game to watch. The next round the rebels ran into julius jones and the powell valley vikings.

Lol. I was at the Clintwood scrimmage too. Even taped it. Heck I was there before the buses pulled in. I was actually there before anyone was, period. My friend daniel made a highlight film just from what Aaron and Garon did at that scrimmage. So if they think they man handled grundy thats one of the funniest things ive ever heard. Correct me if im wrong Wave64 but didnt clintwood score once then grundy scored three times in a row after that. Plus it was the first scrimmage for both teams.

Ill tell you grundy will look a lot different on defense this year. They lost A LOT. But I do think that caleb smith will make a difference when he plays this year. Just get that feeling because everytime he came in the game he tried to kill people. Tigh has to play corner better and that one kid that stopped when the buzzer sounded. I personally think Grundy would be better off to put garon at Free safety to keep the others from getting burnt and if he intercepts it he can take it all the way back.

The oline will be better with the exception to losing Breck Stiltner. Matt Lee is very replaceable. In fact, I think his younger brother will be better because if he pulls I think he will hit someone and not just be in the way.

I dont know what Haysi has but if they play Grundy this year and are gonna try to beat Grundy's defense this might be the year. Thats not a given though because I think if Garon drops back and the younger guys in the secondary fly around all over the place they will be okay. Big questions on the front 3 or 4. Know idea who will be there. I dont think Charlie has it in him to play it for an entire season.

Okay Wavefan 64 chime in let us know what you all got cooking on defense, or Mr. Primetime. Because we all want to know lol.

man, i hate the person who schedules the games, i really wanted to play haysi. since i live like, only 5-10 minutes away from haysi. but itll be a good game no matter what. im now beginning to think that grundy will do better than i thought they would this upcoming year. but ill be there to watch the game. i wish i could have played them in 2002 and 2003, would have been a good game.

JMarcum, it seems like we didn't play to our later potential in that game. I don't think Clintwood would have held a light to us in the later games.

On defense, I'm just as clueless to who will play as you are. I think Garon will be a D-back, as well as Tigh, and Kaleb will be in there somewhere too. I would like to see Garon go back to OLB, where he was his freshman year, and that would give you a pretty solid core of LB's, with Baker, B Brown, and Garon, with somebody stepping up to play an inside, they would be good. As for D-line, I'm clueless. It's tough to replace Matt Lee, Jimmy Penley, and Colby Owens, when all 3 are all-state caliber players. I think we should be alright on the Defensive side of the ball. We will always be tough as long as Coach Compton is coaching.

I'll tell ya what, I'll give everyone clues here in about 40 days..lol Thats when I will know who is gonna play.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I heard that the Grundy Vs. Clintwood game was score to score most of the game.