Grundy's Schedule

jmarcum

Guest BB_TWEEDER

BigGameJames Haysi Will not win 7 or 8 games this year. And even if they do It will still hurt Grundy (more than likely) becasue Grundy will pick up more points from a team 4-6 AA than a 7-3 A team. And Starting this thing about Grundy's sub par Ky. team they played, Hurley played 1 non-district team from Va. Now these things about Hurley not beaing able to beat any of those teams. Look at it this way, We had 14 healthy players and held Haysi to 7 points in the 1rst half. J.I. Burton 7 points 1rst quater and half. I garentee Grundy couldnt have done any better against those teams. Saying that becasue Richlands lost to Gate city, Buton lost to Gate city by 10 or 12 points something like that. So look at it this way, How many points did Grundy lose to Richlands by? Thats my opinion. Im not saying Grundy was a bad team, but your not as bad as you THINK. And im not saying Hurley is a great team, becasue we are not! Id like to see Grundy play a season with 14 players and sometimes only have 11 healthy for a game. Maybe if you guys went threw what we did then you would give us respect. We played Hurt, sick, broken bones, tired, you name it we done it. And couldnt go out of the game becasue we had no one to take our spot. I think that shows more of a football team's heart and soul more than it would if you go 10-0.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

BigGameJames Haysi Will not win 7 or 8 games this year. And even if they do It will still hurt Grundy (more than likely) becasue Grundy will pick up more points from a team 4-6 AA than a 7-3 A team. And Starting this thing about Grundy's sub par Ky. team they played, Hurley played 1 non-district team from Va. Now these things about Hurley not beaing able to beat any of those teams. Look at it this way, We had 14 healthy players and held Haysi to 7 points in the 1rst half. J.I. Burton 7 points 1rst quater and half. I garentee Grundy couldnt have done any better against those teams. Saying that becasue Richlands lost to Gate city, Buton lost to Gate city by 10 or 12 points something like that. So look at it this way, How many points did Grundy lose to Richlands by? Thats my opinion. Im not saying Grundy was a bad team, but your not as bad as you THINK. And im not saying Hurley is a great team, becasue we are not! Id like to see Grundy play a season with 14 players and sometimes only have 11 healthy for a game. Maybe if you guys went threw what we did then you would give us respect. We played Hurt, sick, broken bones, tired, you name it we done it. And couldnt go out of the game becasue we had no one to take our spot. I think that shows more of a football team's heart and soul more than it would if you go 10-0.

[/ QUOTE ]

We beat Burton by 14 or 21 at the scrimmage at the first of the year. We played sick, most of us played hurt, and most of the time we only used 14 players in a game. So what we played like crap against Richlands, they just seemed to have our number that game. And in all honesty, if we would have played Gate City later in the season, I think we could have beaten them. I'm not knocking Hurley a bit. I have a hell of a lot of respect for the few guys that do get out to play football. You all have to love the game to be playing when your friends are doing something else, and that shows me something. But saying we couldn't have done better, dont kid yourself. There is a whole world of difference between AA and A. We would have held them to less, probably nothing, and we would have had 21 points. Just like we did in that scrimmage. I'm not disrespecting Hurley one bit, just stating my opinion.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I understand your opinion. I didnt know you guys played burton in pre-season. I stand corrected. I took the other post the wrong way, I went back and just read them so my apology.

I hate to beat this dead horse, but the difference between Grundy scoring 21 and beating JIB in a scrimmage and Hurley losing 53-6 in the playoffs to JIB was all in the coaching.

Hurley may have only had 14 players, at the most, at any given time. Whose fault is that? The coaches, for not producing a program that makes kids who are borderline want to play football (trust me, the 14 kids who DO play are some of the most avid kids you'll ever see). Because of these limitations, Hurley can only partially prepare for teams (kind of hard to stop the Double Wing when the only time you get to see it is in the actual game). There is only so much film study and defensive strategy can accomplish (of course, if Hurley had more of the above last season, the game would definitely have been closer than it was); at some point, even with small numbers, the kids must be put into game situations. Put them 7-on-7 if you have to, but some sort simulation is needed. Otherwise, teams are ill-prepared to play and teams that are closely matched look daylight and darkness apart because of the situation surrounding the teams.

Hey man we knew nortons offense like the back of our hand. We studied film on norton and knew what they was gonna run but we jus couldnt stop it. Coach stiltner knew everything they were gonna run and we just couldnt match up to there speed. They wasnt a great team but it would havbe been a reasonable game if we had the depth because it was only 7-0 with 5 minutes left befroe haftime. Someone stated earlier that there is a big difference between AA and A and I agreee with that except for Gate City or Powell Valley. PV could have beaten any AA school around last year. LPD is by far the strongest distrit is southwest va. There is not that big of a difference.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

[ QUOTE ]

PV could have beaten any AA school around last year. LPD is by far the strongest distrit is southwest va. There is not that big of a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that brother lol

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Richlands is the only team in the SWD last year who could compete with Gate City. Look at the diff. between state titles in those 2 districts. I dont think Richlands could have came closer than 14 points to Powell Valley. But Gate City and Powell Valley both shuold be AA. But having that said im not trying to say Hurley could have done better. Hurley couldnt have came within 50 of Gate City.

man, i know a bunch of people that said that about powell valley for the past couple of years. and grundy beat them three years in a row. they didnt want to play us my senior year or last year for that matter. but there were a few teams in swva that could have beat pv, and those three team you mentioned could beat anyone in swva, especially gretna. unstopable.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

Salem barly Beat Richlands. Richalnds lost to Gate City. Powell valley beat Gate City. So im sure that Powell vall could have beaten them. And For Gretna, I dont think they could have stopped PV passin attack and it would have been hard for PV to stop Vic Hall so im sure that would have been a good game.

I wouldn't say Salem barely beat Richlands. Richlands gave it all they had and showed they deserved to be there but they were outmatched speed wise.

The Gate City game was one that could have gone either way.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

I was actually giving Richlands credit. I think they should have been the Semi- Champs.

I think the top teams in the division 2 halves Region C & D are usually about as good as Region IV. Just look at when Honaker played Tazewell last season, we played a darn good game with the dawgs with 9 of our starters out, I think we started like 3 freshmen on offense and overall most of our starters were underclassmen with very little varsity playing time. Gate City and PV usually beats the AA teams they play and Giles, Floyd, Lebanon, Honaker, and a few others have all been successful against larger AA schools. Heck, Northwood even beat Marion back in '03, even though it that year NW was due for their one good season a decade. However, compared to the rest of the state in AA, especially in Region III, there prob aren't many single A teams in SWVA that could compete with them.

don't forget for a minute that the RHS vs. GC game was the first week of the season either...at the end of the year Richlands could have beaten them I think. Salem had about 3 players that couldn't be touched...Richlands showed a lot of heart just staying in that game...when you have a QB a RB and a WR that are all faster than anyone on your team...you are in for a long night.

"BigGameJames Haysi Will not win 7 or 8 games this year. tAnd even if they do It will still hurt Grundy (more than likely) becasue Grundy will pick up more points from a team 4-6 AA than a 7-3 A team."

Why do people keep saying things that simply aren't true? Let me try to break it down into simpler terms: If you defeat a division 3 AA team that is 4-6 it is worth 23 pts...if you defeat a division 2 single A team that is 7-3 it is worth 26 points. Its a fairly simple system. 9 times out of 10 it will be wiser for teams to schedule traditionally successful single A teams such as GC, PV, Honaker, Haysi, and Clintwood than it would be to schedule traditionally average or weak AA teams: Abingdon, Marion, Tazewell, and lately Lee High.

As for Haysi not winning atleast 7 games? Well I just don't see who has a real shot at beating them with the players that Haysi has coming back other than Grundy, Honaker, or Clintwood. A few teams may give them a pretty good game like Lee or Rye Cove but I will be genuinely surprised if they don't win atleast 7...just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

Grundy vs. Burton or Haysi last year would have been a blowout...no doubt about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow out? The best team Grundy ever had in '97 couldnt blow out a 5-5 Haysi team that year so I seriously doubt it would have happened last year. Especially after I saw both teams play back to back in the Coal Bowl...Haysi had atleast as good a defense as Grundy and probably a little bit better and the only advantage Grundy had over Haysi offensively was at tailback. More like a toss up than a blowout.