SWD my early picks from my memory!!

babyblue

i think that grundy will certainly take home the SWD title again this year... grundy has 4 returning starters and senior Stephon Baker back from a shoulder injury last year. i cant wait to see what Coach Rife does with them this year, should be exciting.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will see a much improved team, at Richlands. Coach Jim McGee and Jeff Altizer will turn this program around. They have returning starters 6'5" Brandon Robinson, 6'4" Rob Stanton,6'4" Garrett Arms,6'2" C.J Arms,6'1" Derrick Blankenship and a very good point guard, up from JV in Connor McCall.They had no directions coming from their bench coach last year. I believe they will surprise a few teams this year.

I think so also.. My first prediction was based on what Grundy had to go through to get where they ended up last season!! lol A lot of close games... Also, rumor has that baker might be out again. He has been sidelined in football with the shoulder injury again. This leaves Grundy Hurting for Size inside. It sounds like Justus will have to carry the offensive load! Probably lots of 3's going up. Carroll... Richlands has the size and athletes as does Graham. Graham has the best athlete in the district in Rob Henry, if he decides he wants it in bball..

Re-thinking and reading posts here.. I think the SWD is a toss up with 4 teams very capable.. Give Grundy a slight edge.. and Tazewell outside looking in.

Just my thoughts..

for fun..

1.Grundy (slight edge)

tie...Richlands, Carroll, Graham..

5. Tazewell, if they come together, can have a say on how the district will end up..

The game is played on the floor with 5 against 5...Anything can happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Baker will be in a grundy uniform this year I talked to theo yesterday and he said that Baker will be in shape for the season but I dont realy think he should be that much of a big part of grundys offence unless he wants to run the floor alot because that is were grundys bread is butterd a fast up beat tempo up and down the floor they have the speed and the back court is in my oppinion the best in SWD with theo at point guard this grundy team has everything to prove this year even with new coach the should be ok. I am from hurley but I cant wait to see how the former players from hurley can do in there last year on the varsity hardwoods.

GOOD LUCK theo and stephen wish you guys the best all year unless you play hurley LOL.

Here's my picks:

1) Graham - Lots of shooters, lots of speed, great defense and pressure, 2 big men who are tough and didn't play last year and a lot of experience coming back. Key injuries hurt them last year and they still split all their home and away games in the district. 2nd year coaches Carlock and Walker will be much more comfortable in this system this year. Senior leadership will not be a problem this year.

2) Grundy- won the title in the weakest southwest district in years, not much size, good tough kids but everything will have to go just right to repeat. A class act.

3)Carroll County- with their officials home games are just about guaranteed. On the road, they will struggle.

4) Richlands-Lacks speed and quickness, height is not an issue but you must have skills too. Probably a year or two away. The past few years have taken their toll. Have to learn to win again.

5) Tazewell-turned a talented team last year into a very average team and a tournament title. With their size and experience, should have dominated the district. They did not. This team is usually undisciplined and tends to play as individuals. Their coach will keep weaker opposing teams in the game.

Have a great season everyone!

[ QUOTE ]

3)Carroll County- with their officials home games are just about guaranteed. On the road, they will struggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! So our refs arent just bad at football they are bad in basketball too??? I think it is time we put that ref crap to rest.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! So our refs arent just bad at football they are bad in basketball too??? I think it is time we put that ref crap to rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be put to rest when it stops....

The truth is the truth. It's not the players fault. The SWD needs to make sure that no hometown refs are used at CC. They are incompetent and biased and the same guys officiate almost all the sports programs down there. You know who they are and it really is a shame that it continues year after year.

people need to shut up about the refs for carroll. I coach soccer in the away refs suck sometimes but i do not blame it on them if we lose. we are using your refs this year so you can stop your crying. As far as I know we do not use any home town refs. Knowing some of the coaches if they would coach and stop trying to be a ref then the calls would go more their way. that also goes to the fans, if they would be a fan and stop trying to call the game (carroll included) then the refs would do a better job.

Skills are different in basketball vs football. I have seen great football players who couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. They haven't played organized basketball in several years and would have to sit on the bench and compete for playing time.

Last year if Tatum and Ringstaff would have played basketball they would have been the starting backcourt. Ringstaff would have been the PG which we didn't have last year and Tatum and can shoot the 3-ball just as good as anybody on the team last year.

You cant tell me that athletes like tatum and ringstaff wouldnt have made a difference. Tatum was probably the quickest layer in the district. Ringstaff coulda played anybody physical as a dog. Then you had biscuit... a presence inside. I"m sure i'm leaving out someone. butwith the equality of the district last year.. Having those players might have pushed them from last to first! That is if they were utilized correctly.

Any time you have athletes come out like those, they will make a difference.

It will be interesting this season.

Oh bristol has Grundy #1 in the dist. The coaches poll has Carroll Co. #1..

Thanks.. When did Travis and Cain quit playing ball was it there 10th grade year? CC refs always been fine with me except when they threw out one of our players in the first quater for sayin *bullcrap* lol

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks.. When did Travis and Cain quit playing ball was it there 10th grade year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah 10th grade was their last year. Combination of them not wanting to play for Rife and the fact Travis wanted to concentrate on baseball and Cain wanting to lift more for football.