• Chilhowie 1-0/4-0
    • Lebanon 2-0/ 2-2
    • George Wythe 0-1/3-1
    • Holston 0-1/3-1
    • Northwood 0-1/3-1

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

band is not a sport it is for people that is afraid to be hit by people with pads and band sucks anyways if u play football u only hear one song and it is the one they play when u come out... play a real sport that u can break people bones.

[/ QUOTE ]

People like you and Dawgs05 are the reason that meople think that this area is full of a bunch of "dumb rednecks"...there is more to life than football and "real sports". These kids that participate in band spend most of their year practicing to support their team and their school, so give them a break. Of course not all of the band members can play sports, nor do they all want to. But I can tell you that when I was in band at Richlands there was a certain tuba player that was also a starting lineman, Jamie Shelton I think was his name a.k.a. 'Quake'. Not to mention plenty of baseball and basketball players that were members of the band.

[/ QUOTE ]

"dumb rednecks"??.....i never said the band was a bad thing.....all i ever said was that the band is NOT a sport....its an activity, not a sport.....talk about dumb redneck, is your reading comprehension lacking??

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually my reading comprehension is just fine. You said "...band, the biggest joke of all". Is that not saying it is a bad thing? I must have mistaken you calling band a joke, as you actually giving all band members a compliment. We all like jokes, so you must have meant we all like band, since it is the "biggest joke of all". Every one loves a laugh every once and a while. Thanks for giving me my laugh for the day.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still feel that band falls under "musician (sp?)" instead of athlete....Im not saying that people in the band cant be athletes either....I by no means am saying that I think I can go out and do a routine or whatever you call it but I still compare it to being able to put on a concert playing the guitar or something of that sort...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

band is not a sport it is for people that is afraid to be hit by people with pads and band sucks anyways if u play football u only hear one song and it is the one they play when u come out... play a real sport that u can break people bones.

[/ QUOTE ]

People like you and Dawgs05 are the reason that meople think that this area is full of a bunch of "dumb rednecks"...there is more to life than football and "real sports". These kids that participate in band spend most of their year practicing to support their team and their school, so give them a break. Of course not all of the band members can play sports, nor do they all want to. But I can tell you that when I was in band at Richlands there was a certain tuba player that was also a starting lineman, Jamie Shelton I think was his name a.k.a. 'Quake'. Not to mention plenty of baseball and basketball players that were members of the band.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would b my cousin...and i would love to play football...but i would rather b the most school spirited person i know and cheer on the blues then be out there

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

A sport is any physical activity engaged in for enjoyment. Therefore marching band is a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you consider golf a sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course

Honestly no, I think golf is as much a sport as anything. Really I think any competition should be considered "sport" regardless of how athletic it is or whether it involves a ball. Band is both a competition (and to a degree) athletic.

I didn't even get the pun when I typed it... I have a bad headache.

Band is not a sport. I don't consider myself an athlete. People such as some of the ones on here are reasons why I am glad band isn't considered a sport.

There are a lot of athletes out there who think they're something special. We work just as hard as some of you athletes. Many people think you won't last 10 minutes in band. I disagree. I think a lot of you arrogant athletes won't last 2 without getting kicked out for your better than everyone else mentalities.

Many people say band is gay. Really? Last time I checked we don't take showers with each other.

Call band a joke to Dunbar and Lafayette High Schools in Lexington, KY.

This isn't directed to anyone in particular EXCEPT for those of you being arrogant. I'm not afraid of getting hit. The reason football players aren't afraid of getting hit is because look at them! They've got pads on!

Go to band camp one year. Tell me how much of a wimp we band dorks are.

We, band people, can assure you that we are not afraid of the athletes who think they're something special.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Band is not a sport...its no more than an activity for kids who can't play sports...

[/ QUOTE ]I thought of you as less arrogant than that. Disappointed....

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't the first person to say that about me this year...getting very used to it now...but I can't help the fact that the truth hurts for some people...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Band is not a sport...its no more than an activity for kids who can't play sports...

[/ QUOTE ]I thought of you as less arrogant than that. Disappointed....

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

You aren't the first person to say that about me this year...getting very used to it now...but I can't help the fact that the truth hurts for some people...

[/ QUOTE ]

GMan, whether band is a sport or not, it is an art and that's something you either have or you don't. There are plenty of people playing sports who have little or no true athletic ability, but I doubt you'll find anyone in band with no artistic ability... So if anything, I would say sports is an activity for people who can't make it in band.

[ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of people playing sports who have little or no true athletic ability, but I doubt you'll find anyone in band with no artistic ability...

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you heard Graham's band the last couple of years??? <cringes as if fingernails are being raked over a chalkboard...then ducks...>

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever try to learn a field show in a week? Or better yet, learn how to play an instrument well enough to play as a group? Band is physical, but it is more of a mental strain. Don't agree? Try & be effective & see how difficult it is.

I am first chair first chair for french horn at MSHS and let me tell you what. Band is for wussie's. I am a wussie that is why i don't play sports. Anyone can play in the band it is way easy. So all of you out there that say band is PHYSICAL are dumb and don't know what they are talking about. Band is for the weak. I am one of those people so nuff said. GO SPORTS!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

I am first chair first chair for french horn at MSHS and let me tell you what. Band is for wussie's. I am a wussie that is why i don't play sports. Anyone can play in the band it is way easy. So all of you out there that say band is PHYSICAL are dumb and don't know what they are talking about. Band is for the weak. I am one of those people so nuff said. GO SPORTS!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because you're from Marion, and not a REAL band program...trust me, I've seen the Marion band perform in years past. lol

The Marion band program is one of the most prestigious in the region. They have won multiple large competitions and have never gotten more than one point off of a 1 rating in the past four years or so.

I'm glad for Marion. My senior year (the 2005-06 school year) they won the McChesney. Mr. Collins used to be band director at Powell Valley. I've known him since I was like 3 or 4. He was my oldest sister's band director.

We at PV were glad for Marion. Mr. Collins was the founder of the McChesney.

[ QUOTE ]

The Marion band program is one of the most prestigious in the region. They have won multiple large competitions and have never gotten more than one point off of a 1 rating in the past four years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm refering to years while I was in band when they got a III at the state competition the same year that members of the band threw objects into the stands at the Richlands band after the Lonesome Pine festival at J.J. Kelly, just because we swept all the awards. I really have no idea beyond that. So I probably shouldnt have made the comment about the marion band, and I apoligize, but that guy just pissed me off. lol