• Rural Retreat 1-0/4-0
    • Chilhowie 1-0/4-0
    • Lebanon 2-0/ 2-2
    • George Wythe 0-1/3-1
    • Holston 0-1/3-1
    • Northwood 0-1/3-1

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Big Blue Alum- the band did used to play on offense and now that it is such a big deal they have stopped...why dont they just skip the tryout things, cj arms skipped his choir tryouts for the graham game...all he had to do was go to it and he would have had a scholarship to college. i still dont understand y college students are in our band

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't blame them for choosing tryouts over the football game. They're musicians, not football players. The people in charge though should understand they have three schools playing for State Championships on the day of the tryouts. Same thing happened last year so that changes "honest mistake" to "don't care"

[/ QUOTE ]At PV we had that problem in 2004.

We took 2 Green Coach charters. One went to Harrisonburg. The other went to John Battle and we tried out FIRST because PV played the first game. We had about 40 people try out for Junior and Senior together. We got done in 30 minutes and then went straight to Harrisonburg.

My point is. We could have just decided to stay at John Battle and the other part of the band go but suck because a lot of us were gone. We were required to go to the game. That's why we had to preregister and hurry up.

If they make us go to important football games I see no reason why the team shouldn't be required to go to our competitions.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did anyone not see the whole football team trying to get the band to shutup on the last play of the game? you guys asked me how the some of the players felt about the band awhile back and they thing the same as me...that they are in it for themselves and know one else...it is pretty obvious when they are behind the field goal at State during the whole 2nd quarter practicing for no reason. i understand they have to play at halftime, but they wouldnt be there if it wasn't for the football team, they should have been playing trying to help there team win, not trying to look good. I was on the sidelines and Coach Mance was pissed at the band on the last play for not shuting up.

Yeah I remember that. They were just celebrating though and they stopped playing when they were told to. I have to agree about warming up in the 2nd quarter and taking most of the 3rd quarter off. I never understood why they do that.

yeah i know, it makes it look like they are just there for themselves...i know for a fact the football team noticed them over there during the secong quarter cause I told one of them to look and he said "they are just here for themselves." no other band does that

uhh yea, there are many other bands that go to games for just themselves to reherase for more important things other than a damn football game, god fresh prince since u know so much about the band and the football team and how it should be ran, why dont u tell us what to do...we do what we are told, not what the football team or even this town wants us to do,and we could have cared less if mance got mad, cause we were doing our job, i would to see u try to play the music i play and march with what i carry,...we have a better reason in life as a musician than to be at a football game....for the love of god just shut up about this....life isnt always about football, and thank god the season is over, so i dont have to here our drunk football fans talking about how bad the band is, do something with ur life, and stay off the internet and bashing other groups other than your precious football team!!!!

Prince has a point, the band is in it for themselves, i mean, even if they are...they could atleast show some support. Football is the biggest thing in this town and the band kids would do anything to be in there shoes right now, maybe they are a little jealous.

Football players aren't in it for themselves? Are you sure about that? Last I checked a great deal of football players had their heads up their rear ends.

Most of us could really care less about football players as long as it doesn't affect us.

I could think of some arguments to your statement about band kids wanting to be in their shoes right off the bat.

[ QUOTE ]

did anyone not see the whole football team trying to get the band to shutup on the last play of the game? you guys asked me how the some of the players felt about the band awhile back and they thing the same as me...that they are in it for themselves and know one else...it is pretty obvious when they are behind the field goal at State during the whole 2nd quarter practicing for no reason. i understand they have to play at halftime, but they wouldnt be there if it wasn't for the football team, they should have been playing trying to help there team win, not trying to look good. I was on the sidelines and Coach Mance was pissed at the band on the last play for not shuting up.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got in trouble casue of that play...i told every1 around me to shut up...i also told mr miller to stop...im so dearly sorry if i cant control the whole band...and the basic reason we went to early was to impress the people that dont hear us every game...and for me to work on that solo...so why dont u just shut ur mouth!

[ QUOTE ]

they are in it for themselves and know one else...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know the band was supposed to be in it for someone else. Yeah, the band shows up two hours early to every home football game, goes to every away football game, but I guess they just do that to get some extra practice in. Maybe we should just rename band "football support class."

[ QUOTE ]

the only people repling to this post are people that are for the band

[/ QUOTE ]and you and prince. Just quit while you're behind.

On another note, keep the Tipton family in your prayers everyone.

Dave Tipton was director of bands at Powell Valley in the 70s and in the late 70s early 80s he directed J.I. Burton. He died from cancer yesterday I believe.

Dave Tipton was undoubtedly one of the best band directors.

ok, we will do that...just think if there were more than 2 people that dislike the band though? if this was in SWVA football section, you wouldnt get much support unless all your band friends rallied together or something. if the band members wouldnt want to be in the football player's shoes right now they are crazy. you don't have to be in marching band do you? i mean the purpose of it is what???? support your team right

[ QUOTE ]

ok, we will do that...just think if there were more than 2 people that dislike the band though? if this was in SWVA football section, you wouldnt get much support unless all your band friends rallied together or something. if the band members wouldnt want to be in the football player's shoes right now they are crazy. you don't have to be in marching band do you? i mean the purpose of it is what???? support your team right

[/ QUOTE ]

Prince, Band is 25% of the high school football atmosphere. Football is the center of attention but if you take away the band, cheerleaders and fans you won't have much left. I think everyone knows I love the band... but hate some of the things they do. I do not agree with spending most of the second quarter warming up in the end zone, I do not agree with taking most of the third quarter off. I do however respect and appreciate them. We have one of the best football teams in the state, and one of the best bands in the state. That's a good thing.

Just curious, how come you haven't mentioned the cheerleaders? they never came down off that bench in the State Championship. Is it because you don't want to burn any bridges with them?

Agreed!

Prince, some of your comments don't add up to supporting the whole football atmosphere. You forget, some people, actually a lot of people, go to the games, pay the admission price, cheer for the team, but they go JUST TO LISTEN TO THE BAND.

you dont have to be on the football team do you? not everyone is talented enough to play a sport...just like ur not talented enough to make a decent noise outta an instrument...

Maybe because we feel we have more important things to do. If someone wants to play football then let them go right on ahead. I expect the same respect from them.

I choose to play my trumpet until I am carried out in my casket to the hearse.

I support football. It's always been fun to watch. But what I don't support is that some of those who play it think they're automatically the shizz and then some just because they play it. I understand being confident in yourself and all but I do not support arrogance, which is what a lot of people are guilty of, yes including my fellow musicians.

I'm 18 years old, freshman in college, 06 PV graduate, and what has always been preached to me, "If you can't say anything nice then just hold your tongue."

Just let it be dude. I have no interest at all in say volleyball for instance. I have respect for the young ladies in our area schools who play it though.

[ QUOTE ]

for more important things other than a damn football

[/ QUOTE ]

Without the football team the band would have no reason to exisit

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

for more important things other than a damn football

[/ QUOTE ]

Without the football team the band would have no reason to exisit

[/ QUOTE ]

yes we would...we have competitions we go to...even if there was no football team we would still go to those...