1 member has voted

1. 1. Who wins a tight Hogo race?

• Rural Retreat 1-0/4-0
    • Chilhowie 1-0/4-0
    • Lebanon 2-0/ 2-2
    • George Wythe 0-1/3-1
    • Holston 0-1/3-1
    • Northwood 0-1/3-1

Straight from the horse's (Mr. Derrick Spence: Director of Bands at George Wythe High School) mouth:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Email Sent By Me:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Spence,

It has been brought to my attention by a certain individual that at your bands competition (which I loved to compete in, and I still love to attend) each bands score is based on their size. This individual told me that the larger the band, the larger the score they would receive. I didn't believe this individual at first, and then he said he heard it from a judge from this past years competition(2006). So I figured I would get my information from an "inside" source. So, please give me some insight about this issue to clear up a little disagreement. Thank you very much.

Thanks,

Brandon

Reply From Derrick Spence:

Brandon,

I do not think that I should have to tell you this, but that kind of nonsense is just sour grapes. My competition is geared towards small band, if it wasn't I would not have a band of the day award for the smaller 2 classes. Futhermore I take comments such as those as a personal insult since all of the judges I have hired have been close friends of mine that I know treat each band fairly and on its own merrits. Who ever made that comment needs to remember that I only have 24 kids im my band.

I think this should clear things up.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that guy hates me now. LOL

Thanks for getting that information man. I was given false information which has made me look like an idiot. I am going to stop posting on here now.

[ QUOTE ]

I think that guy hates me now. LOL

Thanks for getting that information man. I was given false information which has made me look like an idiot. I am going to stop posting on here now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I didn't tell him who told me, or from what band, just so he would have no hard feelings. I wasn't trying to make you look like an idiot, I was just trying to prove my point. I really wouldn't worry about, you wont be the first person to be proved wrong on this board (nor the last), and believe me they all keep comin back lol. That's what a discussion board is for... to discuss things, and that's what we did.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Do you not realize that the band program is not only about pleasing crowds, but educating young musicians. The band does do many things after football season. Oh and by the way band is tougher than football.

[/ QUOTE ]

so if you think football is easier than band, come out one day to football practice or any other ACTUAL sport and i'll guarantee you will change your opinion. i saw the band practice almost everyday this year, no way it is harder than football or any other sport

[/ QUOTE ]

haha i'd like to see you go up agaisnt him..he would run you over

Band is not a sport period. It's not a sport because you have a class devoted to it in school, if band is a sport then why can't I take baseball, soccer, tennis, etc. as class at school? The argument that band is a sport is ludacris

[ QUOTE ]

Band is not a sport period. It's not a sport because you have a class devoted to it in school, if band is a sport then why can't I take baseball, soccer, tennis, etc. as class at school? The argument that band is a sport is ludacris

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure I never mentioned that it was. I don't think band is a sport, but it is a lot more strinuous than people give it credit for.

My apologies, bogeavers, in the long period I've time i've known you i have never heard you make such a statement. But I have heard many people take that position and be very adament about it. And yes, I do agree that is harder than people think because I know how much practice time you put in, like everyday and after school most of the time

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Most schools (not in this area) though do have classes at the end of the day if you play sports you take that sport for the last class, so that blows the argument as it being a class, so it's not a sport

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

My opinion is that band isint a sport. But what would i know

Is this BoGeavers our Quad Drummer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is me. Mr. Crisco

[/ QUOTE ]

Crisco, hows it going man? this is Scruggs

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't think it matters whether or not it's a sport.

But this is getting old. If I go to this topic, I want to discuss band, not debate over whether not it is a sport.

I don't really think it's a sport but it is like a sport.

But really, this is getting really stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...