1 member has voted

1. 1. Who wins a tight Hogo race?

• Rural Retreat 1-0/4-0
    • Chilhowie 1-0/4-0
    • Lebanon 2-0/ 2-2
    • George Wythe 0-1/3-1
    • Holston 0-1/3-1
    • Northwood 0-1/3-1

How many people would consider band a semi-sport...we work hard just like the other sports and have after school pratcices 3 outta 5 days a week and then a ball game on friday and then a comp. on sat...we have 2 days off all week...i was just wondering...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally dont consider it a sport. And its nothing against anybody in band. I have friends in band. I consider it more of a skill instead of a sport. Just like playing guitar or drums is a skill and not a sport.

Yeah, I agree...I spent all four years of High School in band, and I still wouldnt consider it a sport. Its tons of fun, and tons of hard, hard work. But I just cant bring myself to call it a sport.

That was sorta my reasoning... I know first hand that you work you butt off at band camp and also during regular practices. And of course some bands work harder than others, and it shows on the field. Ive talked to some band memebers from other schools that said they have never ran laps or done any high steps or anything, and then when you see their show you can tell they arent very disciplined.

Agreed.

I don't believe you can honestly go up to the DCI bands...competitive marching bands...and tell them that marching band is not a sport. They spend 12-14 hours a day rehearsing drill in the summertime heat on turf fields reaching 140 degrees at times. It takes a high level of physical maintenance to perform at this level for the 92-day season.

Likewise, even playing the instrument is becoming more and more a physiological science. Athletes utilize at a maximum sixty percent of their available lung capacity. Professional musicians, and those in competitive marching bands, train to optimize their lung capacity in order to expel air through the instrument while marching, and some of the best, notably a tuba player named Patrick Sheridan, have reached a point in which they can utilize 95% of their total lung power.

Any kid can get out there on the field and march and play. Will they ever achieve their optimum potential without training? No. Same goes with football. If a kid goes out on the field, he will never reach his full potenital. Marching band now is reaching a trend in which the ones who really care are beginning to train more like athletes. Therefore, I strongly disagree to anyone who says marching band is not a sport. Just like football, it is definitely a sport if one expects to compete/play at a high level.

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I don't believe you can honestly go up to the DCI bands...competitive marching bands...and tell them that marching band is not a sport. They spend 12-14 hours a day rehearsing drill in the summertime heat on turf fields reaching 140 degrees at times. It takes a high level of physical maintenance to perform at this level for the 92-day season.

Likewise, even playing the instrument is becoming more and more a physiological science. Athletes utilize at a maximum sixty percent of their available lung capacity. Professional musicians, and those in competitive marching bands, train to optimize their lung capacity in order to expel air through the instrument while marching, and some of the best, notably a tuba player named Patrick Sheridan, have reached a point in which they can utilize 95% of their total lung power.

Any kid can get out there on the field and march and play. Will they ever achieve their optimum potential without training? No. Same goes with football. If a kid goes out on the field, he will never reach his full potenital. Marching band now is reaching a trend in which the ones who really care are beginning to train more like athletes. Therefore, I strongly disagree to anyone who says marching band is not a sport. Just like football, it is definitely a sport if one expects to compete/play at a high level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright...you convinced me. Even thought I was in band... at Richlands... under Swartz... I never say it as being a sport. But the was you explain makes it seem like one.

[ QUOTE ]

A sport is any physical activity engaged in for enjoyment. Therefore marching band is a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, following that logic, i can think of a few *ahem* pleasurable activities that are engaged in for enjoyment, whether such activities take place in pairs or are solitary...anyway.

care to try again, webster?

[ QUOTE ]

Band is not a sport...its no more than an activity for kids who can't play sports...

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of the kids in the band play sports...so thats not true...

umm...we sweat just as much as any other sport...go to a turf field thats 115 degrees and march for 4 1/2 hours and you tell my you dont sweat...and we have blood too...trust me...its happened to me pleanty of times

[ QUOTE ]

umm...we sweat just as much as any other sport...go to a turf field thats 115 degrees and march for 4 1/2 hours and you tell my you dont sweat...and we have blood too...trust me...its happened to me pleanty of times

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....are you serious? lol.....academic teams kids sweat, cry, and have blood too.....are they a sport too?? lol....band, the biggest joke of all

band is not a sport it is for people that is afraid to be hit by people with pads and band sucks anyways if u play football u only hear one song and it is the one they play when u come out... play a real sport that u can break people bones.

[ QUOTE ]

band is not a sport it is for people that is afraid to be hit by people with pads and band sucks anyways if u play football u only hear one song and it is the one they play when u come out... play a real sport that u can break people bones.

[/ QUOTE ]

People like you and Dawgs05 are the reason that meople think that this area is full of a bunch of "dumb rednecks"...there is more to life than football and "real sports". These kids that participate in band spend most of their year practicing to support their team and their school, so give them a break. Of course not all of the band members can play sports, nor do they all want to. But I can tell you that when I was in band at Richlands there was a certain tuba player that was also a starting lineman, Jamie Shelton I think was his name a.k.a. 'Quake'. Not to mention plenty of baseball and basketball players that were members of the band.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People like you and Dawgs05 are the reason that meople think that this area is full of a bunch of "dumb rednecks"...there is more to life than football and "real sports". These kids that participate in band spend most of their year practicing to support their team and their school, so give them a break. Of course not all of the band members can play sports, nor do they all want to. But I can tell you that when I was in band at Richlands there was a certain tuba player that was also a starting lineman, Jamie Shelton I think was his name a.k.a. 'Quake'. Not to mention plenty of baseball and basketball players that were members of the band.

[/ QUOTE ]

"dumb rednecks"??.....i never said the band was a bad thing.....all i ever said was that the band is NOT a sport....its an activity, not a sport.....talk about dumb redneck, is your reading comprehension lacking??