stubbycurrence

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the word out of Richlands last night was that Terry Smith showed his true colors, and coach Palmer had to show him the way to the bus. I guess his momma never told him not to play with "snakes".

[/ QUOTE ]

SHUT UP! JUST DUMB!!

COACH MANCE IS A STAND UP GUY, BUT HIS STAFF IS A LITTLE ARROGANT.

ONE OF THE LOUD MOUTHS ON THE RICHLANDS COACHING STAFF SHOWED HIS TAIL! HE SHOUTED ACROSS THE FIELD AT COACH SMITH & VA HIGH, AFTER SCORING ON THEIR 2ND TEAM AND SAID SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT,

"SO YOUR GONNA RUN UP THE SCORE ON OUR JV!?"

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT VA HIGH TO DO, TAKE A KNEE FOR A WHOLE QUARTER!?

UNREAL! VA HIGH WASN'T GOING TO QUIT PLAYING JUST BECAUSE RICHLANDS HAD STOPPED PLAYING!

THE STAFF AT RICHLANDS HAS FORGOTTEN WHAT IT'S LIKE BEING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF WINNING, WHICH IS LOSING!

IT SEEMS SOME OF THEM HAVE GOTTEN TOO BIG FOR THIER BRITCHES!

DONT WORRY THOUGH FELLAS, AFTER THIS YEAR PEOPLE WILL START MAKING YOU REMEMBER REAL QUICK WHAT LOSING FELLS LIKE. I DONT THINK THE STORM WILL BE TOO BIG FOR A WHILE....MAYBE A SLIGHT DRIZZLE AT THE MOST.

GOOD LUCK TO COACH MANCE AND HIS PLAYERS BRING IT HOME!

[/ QUOTE ]

There's that VHS attitude we all know and love! Don't worry yourself about the storm. We'll be just fine. You need to concentrate on how you're going to manage that annual 5-5 record in your new district.

I didn't hear anything from the Richlands staff but man I sure heard Mr. Smith. If he was able to speak at all this morning it's nothing short of a miracle.

Should he have pulled his starters? YES! The game was over and it was freezing. I'm not saying he should take a knee the whole second half but when Richlands put the JV in that was a clue that they wanted to get it over with and go home. Most coaches agree and follow suit. I guess Mr. Smith wanted to make the score look closer than it was so he can use it as a selling point when he lobbies to stack the all-region team with VHS players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh spare me, I expected more from you than that kind of comment. That "VHS attitude" is just like any other schools that gets behind in a big game, you scratch and fight to get back into it. Also, as a former player, I can't seem to remember there being a signal, either from the opposing staff, or from the weather, that said, "Oh, we need to pull our guys, there is the signal." Come on, its the playoffs, to fault our staff, or to mouth off at them from the other sideline, is ridiculous.

The only attitude I see is the elitist Richlands attitude that permeates this place from time to time, where their own arrogance shines though. We know you have a great team, we get that, and you're head and shoulders above us, but to have this "how dare they" attitude, like we offended you by continuing to play, is the epitome of elitism.

[ QUOTE ]

So what your saying is if Richlands would have kept the 1st string in all 4 quarters and the score ended up being 82-7 that would have been alright?

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats what it takes for them to realize that its ok to keep playing your starters, when you get behind, then yes. Why anyone believes you should just quit, especially in the playoffs, is silly. He gets paid to win games, and if it means continuing to play your starters when you are down 40 in the 2nd half, then so be it. All Richlands needed to do was insert their 1st team again and tack on one more TD, then this wouldn't have been an issue, but to be blunt, I have no problem with a coach putting the hammer down if he has to, so if they needed to put 66 on the board to feel comfortable maintaining a 40 point margin, then fine, do it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i for one would like to congradulate vhigh. they scored more points against our jv this year than anyone else.ooo.gif richlhands could have left several more eggs on the ole scoreboard this year if other teams hadn't left their starters in against the jv team. grundy scored in the last seconds of the game (with starters) to avoid the zero. the bottom line is our jv team has gotten nearly as much feild time as our "a" team, they have played well against varsity competition,they dominated everyone they played on the j.v. level and those who think this is the last year of richlands domination had better think again because the talent pool at richlands is running over!! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, learn how to spell "congratulate". Second of all, if you guys are gonna get offended that teams try to win against you, after you put the "JV" in, then you need to go ahead and leave that first string in the whole game. God forbid Grundy, VHS, and Lebanon actually try to win the game, or at least make the score decent, especially in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]thanks for the correction blank evidently they focus more on academics at vhigh than athletics.smirk.gif i was simply pointing out to the richlands fans that the cats were not the only team to leave their starters in against us,they were just the first to have much success. sorry to have stepped on your tail! laugh.gif

where in my post did i say i was worried about lynchburg.

All i said was a state championship in all that is in my mind. Anything less than that will not be a complete success in my eyes. A good year but not a complete success. I know what Graham will bring. They are a good team. I bet you ask any of their players they will say the same. They want a state title which is exactly what the blues and their fans want. Just because you want it doesnt mean you overlook the next game. Pay attention to the post please. Good luck Graham.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i for one would like to congradulate vhigh. they scored more points against our jv this year than anyone else.ooo.gif richlhands could have left several more eggs on the ole scoreboard this year if other teams hadn't left their starters in against the jv team. grundy scored in the last seconds of the game (with starters) to avoid the zero. the bottom line is our jv team has gotten nearly as much feild time as our "a" team, they have played well against varsity competition,they dominated everyone they played on the j.v. level and those who think this is the last year of richlands domination had better think again because the talent pool at richlands is running over!! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, learn how to spell "congratulate". Second of all, if you guys are gonna get offended that teams try to win against you, after you put the "JV" in, then you need to go ahead and leave that first string in the whole game. God forbid Grundy, VHS, and Lebanon actually try to win the game, or at least make the score decent, especially in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]thanks for the correction blank evidently they focus more on academics at vhigh than athletics.smirk.gif i was simply pointing out to the richlands fans that the cats were not the only team to leave their starters in against us,they were just the first to have much success. sorry to have stepped on your tail! laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we focus a lot on athletics, as evidenced by our numerous state, region, and district titles, going all throughout our history.

If that is indeed all you were trying to say, then I apologize for snapping at you, but I must say, it didn't read that way, and it read like an insult to our team. I am sorry though if I misunderstood your point.

[ QUOTE ]

So what your saying is if Richlands would have kept the 1st string in all 4 quarters and the score ended up being 82-7 that would have been alright?

[/ QUOTE ]

Richlands would be idiots to not take out their starters, as it would be dumb to risk injuries when the game was pretty much out of reach. As far as VHS goes, I don't see what's wrong with leaving the starters in for most of the game. The majority of them are seniors and it wouldn't be right for the coaches to concede defeat in the middle of the game after all the years of work the kids put in. It wasn't a JV game, Richlands made that choice. It seems to me like there shouldn't have been a problem.

Im a RHS fan...but i totally agree with you. Why would Richlands want to take a chance of injury. Mance has been consistent all year by pulling starters early.

I know if I was a VHS senior, i would have hated to come out at halftime.

[ QUOTE ]

None of this matters now. It's Monday and the Blues are getting ready for the G-Men. Running up the score on the JV won't be an issue this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is that running up the score on the JV crap again. Listen, with all due respect, have you ever played football? Have you ever COACHED football? Why surrender, in the playoffs, when you have nothing to lose? Why should we put the 2nd string in (if you wanna call it that, we have no real depth due to several factors) when we're facing the mighty Tornadoes, in the playoffs for criminy sake? You play to win, simple as that, especially in the playoffs.

Why is this concept hard to understand? Maybe it's because you aren't used to being on the losing end of playoff games, and that is fine, but put the entire game into perspective, for just a moment, and look at it differently, rather than through blue shaded glasses.

Oh don't be so sensitive. The score could've ended up 48-47 and I would be just as happy about it. Heck Smith could've put the cheerleaders in for all I care. It was the angry post (ALL CAPS) from VHS Devil that got me going. You can't make a post like that and not expect to be ripped apart for it... Especially when you make that post in reply to an attempt at humor.

As to my remark about the "VHS Attitude"... you weren't around a few years ago when a few posters from Bristol went out of their way to ensure the rest of this board would loath them for years to come.

I agree with Coach Smith, you don't pull your starters becauce Coach Mance did. The game isn't over to the fat lady sings.

I have been a Blue Tornado fan for over 50 years and can remember when we complained that Beaver and Gate City ran the score up on us. Let's enjoy our good run and be a good sport. We must remember these are just teen agers entertaining a bunch of us old has been.

Go Big Blues and win state.

[ QUOTE ]

Oh don't be so sensitive. The score could've ended up 48-47 and I would be just as happy about it. Heck Smith could've put the cheerleaders in for all I care. It was the angry post (ALL CAPS) from VHS Devil that got me going. You can't make a post like that and not expect to be ripped apart for it... Especially when you make that post in reply to an attempt at humor.

As to my remark about the "VHS Attitude"... you weren't around a few years ago when a few posters from Bristol went out of their way to ensure the rest of this board would loath them for years to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being sensitive at all, just defending VHS against people that wanna rip us. Seems to me the sensitive ones are the people who are so easily offended that we didn't give up and put our bench in, and that includes the Richlands coaches that allegedly smarted off about it.

[ QUOTE ]

When I looked across the field and saw all those clean uniforms, I have to admit I felt they should have, at least, gotten into the game. They show up at practice and do their part, the game was not in doubt, and I feel they deserved to have a shot at getting their name on the stat sheet. Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, plus, those kids can't someday say they played in the last game ever played by a Highlands district team; and they didn't get any "big game" experience to carry over into the future.

Now, I can understand leaving the starters in for a while - Seniors, too, but the bench shpuld have been cleared for the players sakes.

[ QUOTE ]

Sigh, I give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

RICHLANDS WINS!!!

I'm just kidding man. I read each and everyone of your posts and as a Richlands fan I understand your need to post as you have and I respect it. I do.

I would have done probably exactly the same thing situations reversed.

There are different opinions on this. Different coaches may have chosen to do different things. I back supporting your coach and his decisions. If this puts me at odds with the Tornado faithful then I apologize to them. This was a unique situation where Richlands dominated and determined the game early. Once that has taken place, then there are a few different roads a team could take. This just happened to be the road VHS chose. More power.

The game is over. Graham is an intangible juggernaut in the playoffs -- as they have been for many years. Richlands needs to focus on them now. I hope we can put this to rest for the benefit of SWVA football.

[ QUOTE ]

Sigh, I give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Mance personally step on one of your toes or something man? Why all the bad blood? Why try to come back in a game when you know that Richlands will win? Mance did you all a favor and pulled the starters early!!! Terry Smith just showed how classless he was by trying to come back on a JV team..I remember this time two years ago he was the greatest thing since plastic milk jugs and sliced bread..lol And yes, that is why I despise VA High, you all never let the past go..

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Sigh, I give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Mance personally step on one of your toes or something man? Why all the bad blood? Why try to come back in a game when you know that Richlands will win? Mance did you all a favor and pulled the starters early!!! Terry Smith just showed how classless he was by trying to come back on a JV team..I remember this time two years ago he was the greatest thing since plastic milk jugs and sliced bread..lol And yes, that is why I despise VA High, you all never let the past go..

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Smith listened to his seniors and went with his gut, and didn't fold up and roll over, something a lot of people that have been on the sidelines, rather in the stands, usually appreciate. As someone said to me via PM a few moments ago, its a 48 minute game, and if you wanna play your best for 48, thats your right.

Classless? To try to win a playoff game? Jeez people, you don't just quit, period. All the SWD bias here, man, its thick, and if you wanna hate us, fine hate us, but come on, ya just don't quit, and there is no rule on the books that says if team A pulls their players, that team B has to follow suit.

The only bad blood I see here are some Richlands/SWD homers/VHS haters, that seem to wanna hold our not giving up, over our heads or something. I have a right to defend my former school (class of '92) if they/you wanna bash it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

To try to win a playoff game?

[/ QUOTE ] You felt like that was an option? Elitism aside. Do you REALLY feel like that was on the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know that for every coach, the time to throw in the towel is different. Anything can happen, and sure, the odds are extremely slim, but a coach can't be faulted for doing what he did.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

To try to win a playoff game?

[/ QUOTE ] You felt like that was an option? Elitism aside. Do you REALLY feel like that was on the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm sure VHS knew the game was almost certainly out of reach, but if the kids don't want to give up then the coach shouldn't either. The coach should never throw in the towel before the kids- that would be one of the worst flaws possible in a coach I believe.

i would try to let everyone play if possible...what's it going to hurt? But i'd also try to win the game until the clock ran out...if that means you keep the starters in...then i'd do it...i'd still try to work people in the game where possible...but if there is time on the clock i'm going for the endzone...sorry.