Princeton getting turf, too?

Sources

I was certain they would, it became a certainly to me at least when bluefield officially announced they were buying turf. they talked about it before then but it became official then.... I didn't think they'd have till '08 though.

But that said, good for them.

and good for bluefield to have a rival with field turf.

In my opinion field turf will likely be quite common in 10 years.

[ QUOTE ]

I was certain they would, it became a certainly to me at least when bluefield officially announced they were buying turf. they talked about it before then but it became official then.... I didn't think they'd have till '08 though.

But that said, good for them.

and good for bluefield to have a rival with field turf.

In my opinion field turf will likely be quite common in 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]at least for the area's that can afford it

Well, the turf being installed at Mitchell Stadium is being funded my the Shott foundation and June H. Shott personally. It is not who has the money, but the areas that have a lot of support for their teams. I heard that they have been raising money for this for at least 5 years. Congrats to all teams that are getting turf. I do think that in time there won't be but a handful of teams around the nation that wont have it. The price will go down, but the turf we are installing will still be a great buy.

[ QUOTE ]

Well, the turf being installed at Mitchell Stadium is being funded my the Shott foundation and June H. Shott personally. It is not who has the money, but the areas that have a lot of support for their teams.

It blows my mind Princeton is getting the money from the school board (us taxpayers) to get turf. They have no strong program, no tradition, and minimal support when compared to other teams in the area. Why aren't the giving Montcalm or Pikeview turf with county money? Whats the difference?

[ QUOTE ]

It blows my mind Princeton is getting the money from the school board (us taxpayers) to get turf. They have no strong program, no tradition, and minimal support when compared to other teams in the area. Why aren't the giving Montcalm or Pikeview turf with county money? Whats the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, some of the cost is being footed by the taxpayers...but not all. The Hunnicutt "foundation", much like the Shott Foundation here in Bluefield, has made a generous contribution to make turf a reality in Princeton. Yes, the same Hunnicutt (Sarver) family that the Stadium is named after...

Young athletes to get new turf

By BRANDON DYE

Princeton Times

PRINCETON — The Princeton Tigers football team cheered Tuesday night.

The team, on hand at the Mercer County Board of Education meeting, literally applauded the approval of bids that will put artificial turf in the place of grass at Hunnicutt Stadium.

Out of the 12 bids that were placed, Vasco Sports Contractors of Massillon, Ohio, came out on top with $646,739. The MCBOE will pay $300,000.

Superintendent Dr. Deborah Akers said that the Hunnicutt Foundation has put fourth $300,000, and the high school foundation has raised the other $46,000.

“The maximum amount that the school board was responsible for was the $300,000,” board President Greg Prudich said.

Stacey Hicks, a representative of the Princeton Senior High School Foundation, said that the Hunnicutt Foundation and the community have been behind the project since the beginning and were willing to help the young athletes of Mercer County.

“We raised $346,000,” Hicks said to the board. “The community has raised about $5 million. That’s community money.”

The decision was approved with a 4-1 vote, as board member Lynne White, who opposes the new turf, said the $300,000 the school board is responsible for should be put to other uses, such as school repair and maintenance.

“I think it’s something that the board really ought to discuss,” White said.

Hicks said that it was important that the athletes from Mercer County have a substantial and a well-put-together field, where they can play and that the board can save money from repairing the damage to the field every year. Hicks also had the support of some of the Princeton Tigers who were at Tuesday night’s meeting.

“These are some of the kids you are spending your money on,” Hicks said.

The artificial turf field is to be substantially completed by July 15 of this year.

A proclamation for Teacher Appreciation Week was introduced and approved by the MCBOE on Tuesday. May 6—12, teachers will be recognized for their hard work and dedication to help the students and the community through the power of learning. President Prudich wrote in his proclamation that teachers “continue to influence us long after our school days are only memories.”

“Teacher Appreciation Week is a time for honoring teachers and reflecting on the profound and lasting gifts they have given to us and to our children,” Prudich said.

Also, Tuesday, May 8 was declared National Teacher Day as part of the Teacher Appreciation Week.

Some unfinished business was finally put to rest by the MCBOE when a policy regarding college course credits for high school students was approved.

The policy went under changes and revisions and awaited approval by the school board. Now, it states that students must score 74 percent or above on the End-of-Course test to earn transcript-in-escrow community college credit when students take college courses as a part of the Earn A Degree-Graduate Early program.

Concord University football coach Greg Quick made an appearance at Tuesday’s meeting to discuss his concerns with the time constraints, supervision and academic rigor of the students of Mercer County.

Quick said that he was concerned about the costs restraints on some students who wish to participate in athletic programs because of having to pay for equipment and participation fees.

“I have a feeling that we’re limiting that opportunity,” Quick said to the board.

He said that sports and athletic programs for both boys and girls could be a “window of opportunity” for students who want to succeed in life.

In addition to financial problems, Quick said that he felt like that students should have established curfews. Students who participate in athletics often do not get home until late, Quick said, then they eat dinner and go to bed, leaving little time for studies.

He also said that he hopes that facilities expand and that academics will be the most important focus for students, faculty and staff.

“Our vision needs to go beyond the day of graduation,” Quick said. “Our vision also has to go beyond the mountains where we live.”

In recognition, the 110 Percent Club introduced Pam Winfrey, a business teacher at Princeton Senior High School, as a new member for the month of April.

The next MCBOE meeting will be on Tuesday, May 22.

princeton has had some formidable teams, in '95, and around '01 and '02, and in my opinion if there weren't such a difference in enrollment size of aaa, they would be among the more competitive programs in an aaa classification from the present aa numbers to 1000 students which I've always thought would be a more reasonable way for wv to classify the schools above aa.

Anyhow tradition shouldn't really matter, they do have good support overall and have put empahsis on their facilities and have the financial support of the hunnicuts as mentioned. Granted it could be more equally distributed to other schools though, but princeton does seem to benefit more from the school board than other schools, but so be it, good for them with the field turf, and bluefield.

[ QUOTE ]

well they said that princetons turf should be finished by july 15 why does mitchell not have any equipment or work done yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why Mitchell Stadium is going to take longer. However, I do know that they're doing more than just laying the turf. They'll be moving the fence back at various points around the field including the corner of the endzones. There is also some other work rumored to be taking place before the turf is laid.

I am guessing that prior to laying down field turf that there would be some serious drainage issues to be taken care of first.

If the field isn't altered to compensate for the lack of grass, then the underlying surface could practically destroy the artificial surface.

But that is just me, I really don't know much.