how will the turf affect the biggest game of the year?

ghs84

Did this injury end your career,   

1. 1. Did this injury end your career,

• ENDED MY CAREER IN SPORTS
    • COST ME A SEASON
    • NOPE, 'CAUSE AN INJURY WASN'T KEEPING ME OFF THE FIELD!

In my honest opinion, I think it will have very little effect on outcome of games.

Even the less fast LOL, will be faster. So ultimately, the better team will still win.

I do know from seeing the Richlands/Rockbridge game last year that the speed did not have a negative effect on Richlands, which Richlands has some fast players of their own.

I do however look forward to seeing what effect it has on games.

Just a little example, sorry I went off into left field LOL

The biggest effect will be tt'll make weather less of a factor throughout the entire year. And whether people think so or not, turf enhances the speed and quickness difference between teams. Players can make quicker, sharper cuts on turf as opposed to natural playing surfaces.

With regards to quicker sharper cuts. Regardless of what team, they will al be able to make quicker and sharper cuts. That is why i think it all evens out. Just by 3 cents worth

[ QUOTE ]

Would think whoever has the most experiance on turf could have some advantages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, the new stuff plays more like grass under ideal conditions. The problem is that you rarely get "ideal comditions".

But with that said Bluefield played on it last year against Scott at Laidley and did okay.

[ QUOTE ]

The biggest effect will be tt'll make weather less of a factor throughout the entire year. And whether people think so or not, turf enhances the speed and quickness difference between teams. Players can make quicker, sharper cuts on turf as opposed to natural playing surfaces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how it will play when the weather gets damp and cold and it freezes...which is likely with the way Mitchell Stadium sits down in a sheltered valley...could see some "skating" on that surface late in the fall...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how it will play when the weather gets damp and cold and it freezes...which is likely with the way Mitchell Stadium sits down in a sheltered valley...could see some "skating" on that surface late in the fall...

[/ QUOTE ]

Field Turf is much slower than natural grass to freeze and much quicker to thaw when it does freeze. I don't see that being much of an issue, if at all...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that,but my concern is injuries.if your not experienced on turf and you try a quick cut you double your chances of ankle or knee injury.ive noticed a few things the past couple of times ive been to watch the state finals at lynchburg that players start using alot more tape after they had been on the turf for a while.natural grass will give and cushion a cut and turf puts a strain on your joints.i think that there are a lot of things that will change the way the players play.but fast players will be faster.wonder how coaches will respond if the players start getting hurt due to the turf.should the teams be allowed to practice on the turf a few days before first scrimmage?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that,but my concern is injuries.if your not experienced on turf and you try a quick cut you double your chances of ankle or knee injury.ive noticed a few things the past couple of times ive been to watch the state finals at lynchburg that players start using alot more tape after they had been on the turf for a while.natural grass will give and cushion a cut and turf puts a strain on your joints.i think that there are a lot of things that will change the way the players play.but fast players will be faster.wonder how coaches will respond if the players start getting hurt due to the turf.should the teams be allowed to practice on the turf a few days before first scrimmage?

[/ QUOTE ]

The old style turf would not give. The new stuff is as forgiving or more forgiving than real grass...no need for the extra tape...and much fewer injuries on the new turf...

Field Turf is the best thing that i have ever played on. When you make a cut it feels more natural to you than it does if you cut on natural grass. I'm glad to see the high school level get this stuff. And the speed difference is very little. It doesnt make that big of a difference if any at all.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The old style turf would not give. The new stuff is as forgiving or more forgiving than real grass...no need for the extra tape...and much fewer injuries on the new turf...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The vast majority of athletes that have played on Field turf will tell that it's softer and easier on their body than natural grass. Field Turf is lightyears ahead of the old school astro-turf surfaces in every aspect. I read an article several months ago on research that has shown there are less knee and ankle injures on field turf than natural grass.