Richlands @ Powell Valley

Ryan4VT

Guest Chubz

[ QUOTE ]

I'm very excited for this game. Ive never been to PV and theres so much history down there. Should be a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, only in a bit of a different way ..

I live close enough to PV to watch their games (watched the Lebanon game this past Friday), but it's been quite a long time since I've seen Richlands so this will be a very new experience for me. The last time they played PV was in 2002, and even then I didn't get to see them play! It was definitely BEFORE 2002 when I last watched them, but I was quite young back then so I don't remember much.

With that said, since you obviously know more about the team than I do: How are they looking this year compared to last year? Is this a building year for them, or are they still tough as ever? I know they only beat GC 17-0 which was a big question mark for me, but perhaps they just had a bad night?

Regardless, this is indeed going to be a one-of-a-kind game and I can't wait to see how the Blue Tornado swirls down at Bullitt Park this Friday night. Talk about a hard hitting game!

IMO I think this will be the game of the week. If Ricklands comes out slow and sloppy like I have heard they have in the first two games they may have there hands full. With that said I know Ricklands has a solid D but if a team can get up on them , they may have a hard time coming back, why? Well for sometime now they have blowed teams out of the water. They haven't had to play catch up for some while..

Gate City may be a little stronger this year than people seem to be giving credit.

PV,Gate City, and Richlands have been in a couple of 7 on 7s against each other this year. This has probaly helped Gate City and PV prepare more than Richlands.

Richlands will have to bring their A game to that Powell Valley Field. I've heard comparsions of PV running back to Julius Jones.

Really hope the Defense gets pumped for this one, really good change to show what they have.

I watched them against TN. High, with the understanding that everyone holds something back. PV running game is well above average. Passing game average, except that the QB can be hard to get ahold of. I think RHS can exploit the PV secondary and I think RHS wins in the trenches. I always enjoy my trips over there.....great stadium....great fans and (to the best of my recollection) good eats. Yall know how important that is. By the way, I didn't see any homemade candy at Honaker this trip...disappointed Hillbilly. The funnel cakes were spot on and the hot dog chili was good as always. I went to a picnic and football broke out. How good is that?

Glad to hear your comin out to watch the game. Gate City will be good. Belive me. As for Richlands they have came out slow in my oppion in the first 2 games with Austin at QB. He's an athelete and one of my good friends. But the offense just seems to click more when he's at WR. Khevin looked good as compared to the GC game. This should be the game of the week. But if the Blues jump out early it could be a blowout with our defense. But should be a good game either way.

kinda hurts to have to say this but ,richlands smacked honaker in the mouth 2nd qtr and honaker layed down.if pv will go 4 qtrs of pure hard nose fb it will be one more game to watch.and thats not takin nothin from richlands ,just saying i think pv is strong also.good luck to both teams.

[ QUOTE ]

anybody can beat Richlands

[/ QUOTE ]

WHEW!!!!!!!Scared me for a minute!!I just looked on our schedule and anybody isn't on it. Not trying to say PV is nobody, but, playing nobody is always better than playing anybody. Unless you can beat anybody, in that case it doesn't make any sense to play nobody!

Guest Chubz

[ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I got straight from the horses mouth, there are no more Jones' at Powell Valley. The kid is decent, but he is no Jones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I watch plenty of PV games every year and I can confirm that he is no Jones - he is impressive and has a decent amount of speed and power, but to compare him to the Jones brothers is just taking it way too far IMO.

That's not to say he isn't good because he is - he just doesn't look THAT good to me. I'd have to see some very impressive playing to even come close to comparing someone to Thomas or Julius Jones.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I love the fact that people think Gate City's weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

It comes with playing Richlands. Same story every year... Lose to Richands and you are a cupcake that (insert team name here) would destroy. Beat Richlands and you justify (insert team name here) saying "I told you they would lose when they played a real team!"

Powell Valley will not beat Richlands! Unless something major happens over in Big Stone this week Richlands will pitch another shutout.

I went down to the Lebanon/Powell Valley game expecting a shootout and got little more than a fizzle! Neither team looked very good, really really bad play calling. A good D can shut both teams out! I dont think Richlands will have any problems this week!

"really really bad play calling" is an understatment. It's like watching a really bad rerun year after year. Bring 9 in the box.........beat Lebanon.......simple. Lebanon has some real good speed and can get outside........so they keep running up the gut........I feel sorry for those kids. Lebanon will be the same ole Lebanon FOREVER.

Guest Chubz

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I love the fact that people think Gate City's weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main reason I wasn't impressed with GC was because in their scrimmage with Powell Valley, they looked average at best. I really wasn't impressed with either team to tell you the truth.

Who knows, maybe the fact that it was a scrimmage made me think they weren't very impressive by mistake? I just know what I saw, and what I saw wasn't much of anything.

Logan Ball ran for well over 100+ against the Lebanon defense. The kid from PV, if of Jones' caliber, should have put up 300+. That didn't happen. Ball, Parks from GC, and Musick from Lebanon are all as good if not better. The kid from PV better lace'em up tight cause Richlands D is not gonna give him much.

Musick had 80 yards rushing on 25 carries, compared to Pinkston's 165 yards on 16 carries. Lets see, Musick is a senior, while Pinkston is a sophomore, hmm, check back in 2 years, the 300+ yards should be there.

I agree Chubz. People are forgetting that this kid is only a sophomore. And since he is being compared to the Jones brothers, they think he should be where they were as Juniors and Seniors now. Well, he played pretty good last year as a freshman. Thomas nor Julius started as freshman and right now his numbers are comparable to Thomas' and Julius' numbers as sophomores, if not better. Myron really doesn't have the speed of Julius, nor does he have the moves of Thomas. But he will be special in his own way. He is more physical and has more power than either one of those guys had. I guess time will only tell..........

Guest Chubz

[ QUOTE ]

I agree Chubz. People are forgetting that this kid is only a sophomore. And since he is being compared to the Jones brothers, they think he should be where they were as Juniors and Seniors now. Well, he played pretty good last year as a freshman. Thomas nor Julius started as freshman and right now his numbers are comparable to Thomas' and Julius' numbers as sophomores, if not better. Myron really doesn't have the speed of Julius, nor does he have the moves of Thomas. But he will be special in his own way. He is more physical and has more power than either one of those guys had. I guess time will only tell..........

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree 100% with your analysis of his style. He's a very different type of running back that you don't see very often especially not on a varsity level - he's very muscular though not very tall, and he's not very fast but he can still find open holes and shoot through them and break tackles if he needs to because of his strength.

He's mostly power but also has a good amount of speed so it's like his mix of power/speed is just right to make him unlike anyone else.

I think that by his senior year, he will be a true beast .. he may not put up as much as Thomas/Julius did, but I won't be absolutely SHOCKED if he does because like I said: I don't think I've ever seen anyone his size at the varsity level. He's going to be one to keep an eye on for sure.

He sounds like a certain Running back that played for Richlands as a soph by the name of Jeremy Mccommons..He was definately big for his age and by the time he became a senior he was a beast..Not extremely fast but ran extremely tough..dished out punishment on would be tacklers..

If PV can't run they may be doomed. Lee High proved that if you get after Mitchell and stay in his face. He will get frustrated and make mistakes.

And also if Richlands starts out fast. I am not sure how well PV can play when it comes to playing catch up.

The comparison of the RB Pinkston to Julius Jones was from Robbins himself. This kid has good power and speed and is still young.

I think that statement was not only for this year but the future. That is if PV ever drops the spred and goes back to the I.