James Monroe at Bluefield

MavsRock

Anyone remember the Bluefield-James Monroe game at Lindside a few years back when Bluefield had five TDs called back...still won the game something like 20-6 but all five TDs were called back on "phantom" penalties.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone remember the Bluefield-James Monroe game at Lindside a few years back when Bluefield had five TDs called back...still won the game something like 20-6 but all five TDs were called back on "phantom" penalties.

[/ QUOTE ] Guys, if all this I've been reading is true, then someone needs to call for a serious investigation. I can't imagine this "conspiracy" against Bluefield and Graham be left without an inquiry of some sort.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Guys, if all this I've been reading is true, then someone needs to call for a serious investigation. I can't imagine this "conspiracy" against Bluefield and Graham be left without an inquiry of some sort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we can get those investigating the Hoover High mess to come up here and investigate it when, and if, they finish at Hoover.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we can get those investigating the Hoover High mess to come up here and investigate it when, and if, they finish at Hoover.

[/ QUOTE ] Propst (Hoover Coach) is definately on the hot seat, and the grade changing scandal investigation is still ongoing...I personally can't stand Propst or Hoover, so it will be fine with me if they all get fired. However, that has nothing to do with my question about officiating. Seriously, do you guys really think there is a conspiracy against the two Bluefield teams?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Propst (Hoover Coach) is definately on the hot seat, and the grade changing scandal investigation is still ongoing...I personally can't stand Propst or Hoover, so it will be fine with me if they all get fired. However, that has nothing to do with my question about officiating. Seriously, do you guys really think there is a conspiracy against the two Bluefield teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe the conspiracy is a myth.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, does anyone remember the time that James Monroe hired Tom Brady and the New England Patriots to play for them against bluefield and the refs were really seniors from the Weir team that lost to Bluefield in overtime a few years ago lol. oh my word, it is only Sunday and it sounds like a bunch of three year olds. the past is the past. in the present JM and bluefield are to great teams who haven't lost. Friday night will be a good game and both teams should go far in the playoffs. until friday let's try and respect the opposing program. you don't have to like them because heaven knows i despise bluefield but i have to give credit where credit is due and bluefield has a good program just as we do.

i dont think its a widesrpead conspiracy so to speak but i know firsthand that there was, maybe still is certain zebras out there that hold grudges or favor certain teams and might do things unethically if they have the opportunity...its that simple! The officials are people just like everyone else and open to the same mistakes and temptations just like everyone else..they are not prefect and every missed or bad call is NOT gonna be made in good faith, occasionally you'll have one with a motive..period.

i forgot to mention, the official i wrote about about a few responses up on page, his hard feelings for Blfd came from HIS HS playing days and playing against Blfd and seein them win or whatever. Beavers have been around for a long time and dismantled alot of teams and some of those teams will have had todays officials on them and maybe soem of that carries over subconsciuosly and might cause nit-picking or phantom calls..i mean who knows?? but a conspiracy?? NO!

[ QUOTE ]

i forgot to mention, the official i wrote about about a few responses up on page, his hard feelings for Blfd came from HIS HS playing days and playing against Blfd and seein them win or whatever. Beavers have been around for a long time and dismantled alot of teams and some of those teams will have had todays officials on them and maybe soem of that carries over subconsciuosly and might cause nit-picking or phantom calls..i mean who knows?? but a conspiracy?? NO!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a real shame for the kids who are playing presently...they certainly deserve better. I can't imagine any adult with character who choses to be an official being that dishonest. I would hate for people to view me as a cheater if I were an official, no matter what rival game I was calling. These guys need to be called out, if you know who they are, and they don't need to be allowed to officiate games in their immediate area.

All this talk about the refs is making alot of people look stupid. I won't say that there aren't any ref's out for Bluefield, or that it's never happened, because I'm sure it has. It DOES NOT happened on a week to week basis as some would have us believe.

Truth is, a savy coach will fix that in a hurry. Some James Monroe fans will remember the 1998 Princeton game. We were getting hosed by the refs pretty good, until the entire JM coaching staff had a little conference. Not sure what was said, but it was a fair game after that, and JM quickly took control of the game. If worse comes to worse, design a play to take that ref out. Some people will say that's not the "adult" thing to do, but I've seen it in several sports, and it sends a clear message.

On an related note, I have seen a couple of ofiating crews this year, Shady Spring and Mount View, that policed the score, which I'm not a big fan of. Last week in peticular, That game could've been 70-0 or worse until some very questionable second half call.

Refs are just like the field conditions, crowd, traveling, weather or injuries. Sometimes there just another obsticle to overcome, most times, the best team will.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Myth. Some people embarrass themselves with these accusations.

QUOTE:

------------------

No and you don't either...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a real shame for the kids who are playing presently...they certainly deserve better. I can't imagine any adult with character who choses to be an official being that dishonest. I would hate for people to view me as a cheater if I were an official, no matter what rival game I was calling. These guys need to be called out, if you know who they are, and they don't need to be allowed to officiate games in their immediate area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately its true, the scandals with the NAB refs is telling and they are Professionals. Not saying that they all are bad but many at the high school level are a little shady. And I'm not just saying thats against Bluefield or Graham. I think it happens in a lot of games especially in small town WV and VA.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

On an related note, I have seen a couple of ofiating crews this year, Shady Spring and Mount View, that policed the score, which I'm not a big fan of. Last week in peticular, That game could've been 70-0 or worse until some very questionable second half call.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Of course refs try aand manage the score. there is no rason for a team to put up 70 points on amother team. that is embarrasing towards the players on the other team and very disrespectful. I find it saddening that you care that your teams score 70 points a game. The refs did what they should have.

If you knew anything about officiating,you would know that refs "manage the game". this is evident in every sport, and a good official manages the game correctly. For example, when a basketball team is up by a lot, they will not recieve as many calls as they would in a closer game. An official may see a foul, but also sees that the ball goes in the basket, so why call the foul? it adds length to the game and is unnessary. Managing the game is also evident in baseball. When a team is up 12-15 runs the strike zone becomes larger for that team. it happens all the time and the players know it, and accept it. They dont want to embarrass anyone.

So actually in essense calling back the TDs was a good thing. I gaurantee they found some type of penalty on the play, cause there is one on every play. Im sure the JM coaches didnt complain cause the game was in hand.

I find it very unsportsmanlike that you are complaining about officials keeping your team from scoring 70 points.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine any adult with character who choses to be an official being that dishonest. I would hate for people to view me as a cheater if I were an official, no matter what rival game I was calling. These guys need to be called out, if you know who they are, and they don't need to be allowed to officiate games in their immediate area.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, there is the crux of this matter. Even though it is hard to imagine, there are those certain officials that don't care if people think they are dishonest. They end up with that reputation and some, I know of at least two, that even gloat about it. They love to be hated and do what they can to perpetuate that contempt when they have the chance. And trust me, got this info from an official in Southern West Virginia...the "good ole boys" network in certain officials associations is alive and well...some teams are "doomed" when they get certain officials/crews doing their games.

My brother-in-law has been a WVSSAC football official for 20+ years in the Fairmont area. He has told some really funny stories over the years, but nothing about biased officials or unprofessionalism by any means. I am going to ask him what he thinks about it.

Being a Beaver, I know I can get a little biased at times, but I also know these guys are human and sometimes they miss things.

[ QUOTE ]

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I should follow my own advice...

no reason to argue the matter, fact is this, these guys are human and they are not gods that coem down from the heavens to officiate a game, they are the everyday guys you see out at WM or the mall or wherever and they are not prefect, they make honest mistakes and a very small select few make mistakes intentionally..its that simple. now, GO BEAVERS !!

[ QUOTE ]

no reason to argue the matter, fact is this, these guys are human and they are not gods that coem down from the heavens to officiate a game, they are the everyday guys you see out at WM or the mall or wherever and they are not prefect, they make honest mistakes and a very small select few make mistakes intentionally..its that simple. now, GO BEAVERS !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a question, but does anyone know what kind of pay an official makes? And im assuming this is not there career, right? They probably all have other jobs...am I correct in that assumption?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

correct. they usually have other jobs or in some cases they are a student. lol Usually they likesports and find it is an easy way to pick up a few extra dollars. Pay pretty much is around 75 dollars for a varsity high school football game. Middle school games are around 40-50 dollars. basketball is a little less for varsity games. Baseball runs about the same as well... If you do make it to college level WViac games run about 150 for baseball and basketball, im unsure about football.

If you are good, really good, you can do it for a job. for instance you can make over six figures officiating college basketball easily in Div.1 ...

On the Virginia side, Football officials make $60 for a Varsity game. If they work a JV and 8th grade game together they'll make $70. I don't see anyone making a career out of officiating High School athletics.