Lots of interesting VHSL realignment stuff

RichlandsAlum

http://www.vhsl.org/MoreAboutVHSL/jan22minutes.doc

Link above confirms/denies several rumors floating around.

Grundy had requested to be assigned to the Lonesome Pine District, but was denied. The R&R Committee instead (and very appropriately, IMO) assigned them to the Black Diamond.

Couple of interesting moves in Region III. Perennial Seminole doormat Staunton River is moving to the Blue Ridge. The Eagles should be much more competitive in that district, although that is representative of interesting politics in Bedford County.

E.C. Glass was approved to take their place in the Seminole, which is big news just from a classification standpoint. To the best of my knowledge, the Hilltoppers have always competed in the highest classification group until to this point. And swapping Staunton River for them makes the Seminole even more challenging, if that were possible.

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.vhsl.org/MoreAboutVHSL/jan22minutes.doc

Link above confirms/denies several rumors floating around.

Grundy had requested to be assigned to the Lonesome Pine District, but was denied. The R&R Committee instead (and very appropriately, IMO) assigned them to the Black Diamond.

Couple of interesting moves in Region III. Perennial Seminole doormat Staunton River is moving to the Blue Ridge. The Eagles should be much more competitive in that district, although that is representative of interesting politics in Bedford County.

E.C. Glass was approved to take their place in the Seminole, which is big news just from a classification standpoint. To the best of my knowledge, the Hilltoppers have always competed in the highest classification group until to this point. And swapping Staunton River for them makes the Seminole even more challenging, if that were possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

More info to be discussed and voted on at the April 14th meeting...

2009-10 and 2010-11 R&R Appeals Summary

Group AAA

1. Hayfield High School appeals its placement in the Patriot District, Northern Region, and requests instead to be in the National District, Northern Region.

2. Northwest Region appeals the assignment of Heritage, Loudoun Valley and Stone Bridge High Schools to the Cedar Run District, Northwest Region.

3. Heritage High School (Loudoun County) appeals its placement in the Cedar Run District, Northwest Region, and requests instead to be in the Liberty District, Northern Region.

4. Loudoun Valley High School appeals its placement in the Cedar Run District, Northwest Region, and requests instead to be in the Concorde District, Northern Region.

5. Stone Bridge High School appeals its placement in the Cedar Run District, Northwest Region, and requests instead to be in the Liberty District, Northern Region.

Group AA

6. Northwestern District requests dividing the Northwestern District into two five-team districts.

Northwestern District

John Handley

Millbrook

Sherando

Skyline

James Wood

Northeastern District

Brentsville

Fauquier

Kettle Run

Liberty

Warren Co.

7. Grundy High School appeals its modification placement into Black Diamond District, Region D, Group A, and requests assignment back into Southwest District, Region IV, Group AA.

Group A

8. Colonial Beach High School appeals its placement in Northern Neck District, Region A, and requests instead to remain in the Tidewater District, Region A.

9. Wilson Memorial High School appeals its placement in Southern Valley, Region III, Group AA, and requests to remain in Shenandoah District, Region B, Group A.

10. John Battle High School appeals its placement in Region D, Clinch Mountain District, and requests to be placed in the Hogoheegee District, Region C.

actually it came from a scarlet colored hurricane, and was allegedly from an article in the roanoke times. according to this "article" the schools were growing in population by approximately 10% anually and were going to be forced up to AAA by VHSL. i have no true knowledge of this and cant verify but if true would certainly make some wave rasslers happy.

[ QUOTE ]

actually it came from a scarlet colored hurricane, and was allegedly from an article in the roanoke times. according to this "article" the schools were growing in population by approximately 10% anually and were going to be forced up to AAA by VHSL. i have no true knowledge of this and cant verify but if true would certainly make some wave rasslers happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, they can't be "forced up" by the VHSL. Second, their enrollment will have to be close to 1600 before they would be AAA. Currently, there are three schools in their district that are LARGER than both B'burg and C'burg (Hidden Valley, Salem, and Pulaski Co.). At least for the next R&R period, both schools will remain AA.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you're not referring to me...because this is the first I've heard of it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, they can't be "forced up" by the VHSL. Second, their enrollment will have to be close to 1600 before they would be AAA. Currently, there are three schools in their district that are LARGER than both B'burg and C'burg (Hidden Valley, Salem, and Pulaski Co.). At least for the next R&R period, both schools will remain AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorance breeds arrogance...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignorance breeds arrogance...

[/ QUOTE ]wth is that supposed to mean? i was simply inquiring about somethin i heard at the northwood tourney from a cane rassler. since i dont know you ballking then it prolly wasnt you i heard it from. the point was that those schools were at nearly the AAA limit and growing by around 10% a year and in the '09 cycle they would be moved to AAA. sounds like there is more inbred arrogance in you than ignorance in me.

cburg and bburg are around 1200 kids. which means they would have to gain approximately 350-400 kids over the next cycle. even @ 10% gain a year they would barely have enough kids to make the jump. Gman is right. It would probably take 1600 to make the jump. Either way I don't see those schols having that type of gain in two years unless roanoke becomes a lake and everyone has to move.

[ QUOTE ]

cburg and bburg are around 1200 kids. which means they would have to gain approximately 350-400 kids over the next cycle. even @ 10% gain a year they would barely have enough kids to make the jump. Gman is right. It would probably take 1600 to make the jump. Either way I don't see those schols having that type of gain in two years unless roanoke becomes a lake and everyone has to move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their enrollment for the 09-11 cycle is 1159 for Blacksburg and 1034 for Christiansburg. In comparison, for the 07-09 cycle, Blacksburg had 1204 and Christiansburg had 1031, DEFINITELY not anywhere near a 10% annual increase in enrollment for either school, especially considering Blacksburg LOST enrollment.

E.C. Glass will drop from AAA to AA in '09 and will be the biggest AA school at 1548 students.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Roanoke isn't becoming a lake, but it's becoming one large hell hole. I worked in the city with a community service board for nearly three years, so trust me I know. The problems that have encompossed Roanoke will slowly encomposs the out-lying areas forcing good people to move further and further away. I certainly see the C'burg/B'burg area growing rapidly and in maybe 10 years I could see C'burg becoming a AAA school. B'burg would struggle to house many more residence b/c the town is so landed locked and housing is already at a premium.

[ QUOTE ]

I heard from a very reliable source gw danville will possibly be AA during the next cycle

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see that as a possibility with the huge loss of jobs in the Danville area over the recent years. Their enrollment numbers dropped from 1859 in the 07-09 cycle to 1695 for the 09-11 cycle. And it wasn't too many years ago their enrollment was well over 2000 students. They've gone from being the largest school in the Western Valley district to the next to smallest school in that district...only William Fleming, who just made the move back up to AAA, is smaller at 1579.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I heard from a very reliable source gw danville will possibly be AA during the next cycle

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see that as a possibility with the huge loss of jobs in the Danville area over the recent years. Their enrollment numbers dropped from 1859 in the 07-09 cycle to 1695 for the 09-11 cycle. And it wasn't too many years ago their enrollment was well over 2000 students. They've gone from being the largest school in the Western Valley district to the next to smallest school in that district...only William Fleming, who just made the move back up to AAA, is smaller at 1579.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does any online info exist for old VHSL enrollment figures, like from the 1970s and 80s? It would be interesting (and somewhat painful) to see how much different things used to look.

[ QUOTE ]

one of the administrators over there said they were already looking at scenarios if it does happen. He said the piedmont and region 4 is the strongest possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if having a AAA power like GW drop would make some of the smaller AA schools push harder for four classes?

While I don't know exactly which schools are for four, I would assume the larger AA schools are against it. The reason being, under the current setup, they are among the largest schools in their respective regions and class.

If the VHSL goes to four classes, then large AA schools like Pulaski, Salem, Amherst, Powhatan, etc. end up competing against what used to be smaller AAA schools rather than small AA schools like in the Piedmont, SWD, Southside, etc.

Many of the large Group A schools are probably for the status quo also.

http://www.vhsl.org/MoreAboutVHSL/surveyresultsbyclass.doc

I'm not sure but I would hate to be in region 4 if this does happen. GW had eight scholarship kids off this years team and their FB was just offered by Michigan. He also was the indoor triple jump national champion.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% guaranteed NOT to happen.

The next cycle has already been announced and GW didn't go for a waiver, so it'll be Summer of 2011 at the earliest.

[ QUOTE ]

If the VHSL goes to four classes, then large AA schools like Pulaski, Salem, Amherst, Powhatan, etc. end up competing against what used to be smaller AAA schools rather than small AA schools like in the Piedmont, SWD, Southside, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S funny.

Large AA schools Pulaski, Salem, Amherst & Fleming ARE what used to be smaller AAA schools.

[ QUOTE ]

Does any online info exist for old VHSL enrollment figures, like from the 1970s and 80s? It would be interesting (and somewhat painful) to see how much different things used to look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post this yesteday, but was afraid that someone would think it was an April Fool's joke.

Tazewell Co. 3-grade historical enrollment

(Pocy's 161 is a wild guess that creates an even total)

1978 . 1987 . . 2000 . 2008 (est.)

161 . . 151 . . 102 . . .80 . . Pocahontas . - 50 %

523 . . 463 . . 418 . . 382 . . Graham . . . - 26.96

684 . . 667 . . 554 . . 491 . . Tazewell . . . - 28.22

882 . . 862 . . 687 . . 577 . . Richlands . . - 34.58

--------------------------------------------

2,250 . 2,143 . 1,761 . 1,530 . Tazewell Co. -32%

all of western Va. : http://www.angelfire.com/va/vhsl/SWVAenrollment.html

Have fun!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The next cycle has already been announced and GW didn't go for a waiver, so it'll be Summer of 2011 at the earliest.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S funny.

Large AA schools Pulaski, Salem, Amherst & Fleming ARE what used to be smaller AAA schools.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post this yesteday, but was afraid that someone would think it was an April Fool's joke.

Have fun!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't get the link to work....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT'S funny.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be a dumb question, but what three grades are we talking, and why only count three grades?

The link dosnt work for me either.