Save Tazewell County more money

realtrueblue

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Instead of spending 40,000 a year for Graham to play at Mitchell Stadium send them to Pocy to play their home games. The only game they need Mitchell would be for the Graham-Beaver game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or how about tearing down that pretty little fieldhouse you got going up......

wonder how much other schools pay in "upkeep" on their fields each year vs. what it costs Graham to play at Mitchell? Anyone know? I'd bet it's probably not much difference...could be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

wonder how much other schools pay in "upkeep" on their fields each year vs. what it costs Graham to play at Mitchell? Anyone know? I'd bet it's probably not much difference...could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m sure there is a little difference...but not enough to constitute building a brand new stadium. It would probably take a long time for the difference in upkeep and "rent" to add up to the price tag of a new stadium.

Especially since no one knows where the Graham students will be going to school in a few years from now.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Instead of spending 40,000 a year for Graham to play at Mitchell Stadium send them to Pocy to play their home games. The only game they need Mitchell would be for the Graham-Beaver game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or how about tearing down that pretty little fieldhouse you got going up......

[/ QUOTE ]

How would that solve anything? Most of it is donations.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is different when the shoe is on the other foot by looking at some of the responses. First of all, nobody is tearing down the field house. Our kids have worked their tail off for that thing and they deserve it. And don't claim "all the money goes to Richlands." I can't remember when the last time the TCSB actually spent money on anything for Richlands football (other than the lights). Tazewell already has a field house. And the TCSB shells out $35,000-$40,000 a year for Mitchell Stadium. In all fairness, I would rather see the kids at Graham play at Mitchell Stadium. It is a top of the line facility and it is better for the kids. But, I think the idea of using the Pocahontas field has some merit. It does not cost $35,000-$40,000 to keep a field up per year, that is ridiculous. If the TCSB really wants to tighten their belt to save money, it is an option to look at. The field is ready to use. That is a savings of up to $40,000 immediately. As a taxpayer, if the TCSB wants to be efficient with the budget, as they claimed, and used that claim as a rallying cry to shut down PHS, then this is a good idea. I don't think it will ever happen, but it has merit.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great idea...then all you Richlands fans would get to see what its like sitting on the visitors side at the Ern...you wouldn't be able to see over the players heads, there wouldn't be room for more than 500 fans from Richlands, and if you had to go to the bathroom, you could use the port-a-potty...maybe we could get Cha-Lee to come and setup up his "Chicken on a Stick" concession stand for you...oh yeh, and the Richlands players could either go rest down behind the endzone at halftime or get on the bus, I recommend getting on the bus if its raining...

One Graham-Richlands game a Pocy's field and you'll be begging to play at Mitchell Stadium and realize just how ignorant you really are...great idea realtrueblue...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is different when the shoe is on the other foot by looking at some of the responses. First of all, nobody is tearing down the field house. Our kids have worked their tail off for that thing and they deserve it. And don't claim "all the money goes to Richlands." I can't remember when the last time the TCSB actually spent money on anything for Richlands football (other than the lights). Tazewell already has a field house. And the TCSB shells out $35,000-$40,000 a year for Mitchell Stadium. In all fairness, I would rather see the kids at Graham play at Mitchell Stadium. It is a top of the line facility and it is better for the kids. But, I think the idea of using the Pocahontas field has some merit. It does not cost $35,000-$40,000 to keep a field up per year, that is ridiculous. If the TCSB really wants to tighten their belt to save money, it is an option to look at. The field is ready to use. That is a savings of up to $40,000 immediately. As a taxpayer, if the TCSB wants to be efficient with the budget, as they claimed, and used that claim as a rallying cry to shut down PHS, then this is a good idea. I don't think it will ever happen, but it has merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the TCSB really wants to save money, why don't they just cut out ALL sports. Think about all the money they would save...no having to pay for sporting venues and their upkeep, no having to pay for gas for all those game trips, no havig to pay for coaches, a HUGE decrease in liability insurance. Now THERE is a real way to save money if they wanted to...

Do you realize that for what it takes to keep a school open for 106 kids for ONE YEAR, the TCSB could pay to use Mitchell Stadium for 40 years. For what it takes to pay to keep Pocahontas open for 10 years, they could build Graham a VERY NICE multi-sport stadium.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great idea...then all you Richlands fans would get to see what its like sitting on the visitors side at the Ern...you wouldn't be able to see over the players heads, there wouldn't be room for more than 500 fans from Richlands, and if you had to go to the bathroom, you could use the port-a-potty...maybe we could get Cha-Lee to come and setup up his "Chicken on a Stick" concession stand for you...oh yeh, and the Richlands players could either go rest down behind the endzone at halftime or get on the bus, I recommend getting on the bus if its raining...

One Graham-Richlands game a Pocy's field and you'll be begging to play at Mitchell Stadium and realize just how ignorant you really are...great idea realtrueblue...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why REALtrueblue made that statement.....it detracts from the real story....Pocy and its declining enrollment. Yes, Richlands visitors stadium has issues, I'm sure we all agree on that....but, it is what it is.

G-man is right, Tazewell County could REALLY save money by doing away w/all sports....but, that's not what anyone wants.

Graham has been playing their games at Mitchell for years....most fans enjoy the stadium...why would anyone feel the need to suggest otherwise.

Let's not get sidetracked by the "what ifs"....it is difficult enough with the closing of the Pocy HS...those ppl are hurting. However, I agree with the decision to close it....as Alum said, there could be more difficult decisions "down the road".

[ QUOTE ]

Great! Get the SCSB to chip in $40,000 to the TCSB and we got a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe we could get Richlands to chip in some of the profits from their 4.00 per slice pizza they sell at the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a great idea! Try one of our delicious hot dogs!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Great! Get the SCSB to chip in $40,000 to the TCSB and we got a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe we could get Richlands to chip in some of the profits from their 4.00 per slice pizza they sell at the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a great idea! Try one of our delicious hot dogs!

[/ QUOTE ]

How about just getting a refund on those cleats you bought back in 92... A Graham vs. Bluefield game brings in about $40,000 to $50,000 in ticket sales alone...

There's not enough room at Pocy to seat Graham's band....How about having the TCSB cough up a few million to build Graham a stadium of their own comparable to Ernie Hicks then.... would you like that better?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why REALtrueblue made that statement.....it detracts from the real story....Pocy and its declining enrollment. Yes, Richlands visitors stadium has issues, I'm sure we all agree on that....but, it is what it is.

G-man is right, Tazewell County could REALLY save money by doing away w/all sports....but, that's not what anyone wants.

Graham has been playing their games at Mitchell for years....most fans enjoy the stadium...why would anyone feel the need to suggest otherwise.

Let's not get sidetracked by the "what ifs"....it is difficult enough with the closing of the Pocy HS...those ppl are hurting. However, I agree with the decision to close it....as Alum said, there could be more difficult decisions "down the road".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry trueblue for not posting "realtrueblue's" full name...didn't mean to mistake you for him...its been corrected now!

[ QUOTE ]

Well I have heard that Richlands will not bet getting the field turf, Emats can not get the loan to get the rest of the money to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this from a solid source.....or he said/she said/his cousin said source? Everything I've heard is it's still happening.

[ QUOTE ]

???? What kind of bleachers do they have there? Could they be used on the Richlands away side? Might even find a extra prota pottie just for G-Man lol.

Playing on Dirt(Mud) could have its advandages for the

G-Men???

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Richlands visitor's bleachers are better than what they have at Pocy...