Pocahontas parents sue school board

GMan

http://www.bdtonline.com/homepage/local_story_115204301.html?keyword=leadpicturestory

Pocahontas parents sue school board

By CHARLES OWENS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

POCAHONTAS, Va. — Parents fighting to save Pocahontas High School from a looming closure are seeking court intervention.

A petition for judicial review filed Thursday by five parents against the Tazewell County School Board in Tazewell County Circuit Court argues the decision by the School Board to close Pocahontas High School “is not supported by any rational factual basis.” It further alleges the numbers provided by the school system for the school’s closure “do not add up and can be found by no standardized or commonly accepted methods of accounting.”

The lawsuit further alleges there was no public hearing as required by state law on the closure of Pocahontas Middle School, and argues the Virginia Board of Education views Pocahontas High School and Pocahontas Middle School as two separate institutions. It further alleges students will suffer “emotional distress” as a result of the school closure, and alleges their Standards of Learning test scores will be “adversely effected” by the school closure.

“We say the School Board didn’t proceed properly and the figures given to them by Brenda Lawson are not valid or correct, and the whole process hasn’t been fair,” Tommy Childress, a concerned citizen in Pocahontas, said. “There is more to come from a legal and political angle. We are not stopping.”

A message left with School Superintendent Dr. Brenda Lawson wasn’t immediately returned Thursday.

David Woodard, the School Board’s Northern District member, said he has read the lawsuit, and supports it.

“Some ladies bought me a copy this morning,” Woodard said. “I’ve read over it, and in general, I’m glad to see that someone from the community is challenging the so-called facts presented by the Tazewell County School Board. There is a lot of allegations and I’ve been asking since the topic first came up for many of these questions to be answered, and it’s been totally ignored. At least by presenting this to the court, I feel the School Board will have to answer the questions presented. I commend these parents for the fight they are continuing.”

The lawsuit further alleges that projected monetary savings by closing the combined high school and middle school facility are “...fiction and not supported by current independent studies.”

The lawsuit also alleges that the cost-saving analysis for closing the school was performed internally by the central school system office, and is believed to be “prejudiced and not given to public scrutiny prior to a vote being held.” The lawsuit further alleges the cost savings were not examined by any independent sources.

The lawsuit also alleges the school closure will adversely impact the county’s dropout rate, and adversely affect monetary support received by the school system from the state.

The School Board voted 4-1 earlier this year to close Pocahontas High School at the end of the current school year. The county Board of Supervisors voted 4-1 in March to request for the School Board to delay the closure of the high school pending the outcome of a meals tax referendum ordered by the supervisors. The proposed meals tax — if approved by voters — would fund school facility renovations, teacher pay raises and would subsidize the operations of Pocahontas High School for another two years. However, the School Board has yet to act on the meals tax proposal by the supervisors.

– Contact Charles Owens at cowens@bdtonline.com

A question, does the TCSB have to use their own funds(taxpayers) to defend this or do they have insurance for any/all lawsuits? Of course, I realize, if it is insurance, the premiums probably take a hit each time there is a defense mounted. Does anyone know how it all works?

I'd tell the folks at Pocy to fight like Hell. There aint nothing to gain for their kids or their community! IMO if those pocy kids go to another school, where ever it might be.. they will not be validictorians, saluatorians or starters on sports team they will only be know as "those kids from pocahontas".

[ QUOTE ]

they will not be validictorians, saluatorians or starters on sports team they will only be know as "those kids from pocahontas".

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are in the position grade wise to be valedictorian, salutatorian, or starters on the respective sports team then I am certain they will get a shot. It will be a big step from what they are used to, but they can excel if they put for the required effort. By saying that they will only be known as "those kids from Pocahontas" is not sufficient because Graham, Tazewell, Bluefield, where ever the kids decide to go, they will be accepted. Schools in the more "urban" settings of SWVA are used to getting new students just about every week or so. If the Pocy kids put for the effort of getting involved and adapting to their new environment then they will have an enjoyable experience at their new "home".

[ QUOTE ]

I'd tell the folks at Pocy to fight like Hell. There aint nothing to gain for their kids or their community! IMO if those pocy kids go to another school, where ever it might be.. they will not be validictorians, saluatorians or starters on sports team they will only be know as "those kids from pocahontas".

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be MORE WRONG...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

they will not be validictorians, saluatorians or starters on sports team they will only be know as "those kids from pocahontas".

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are in the position grade wise to be valedictorian, salutatorian, or starters on the respective sports team then I am certain they will get a shot. It will be a big step from what they are used to, but they can excel if they put for the required effort. By saying that they will only be known as "those kids from Pocahontas" is not sufficient because Graham, Tazewell, Bluefield, where ever the kids decide to go, they will be accepted. Schools in the more "urban" settings of SWVA are used to getting new students just about every week or so. If the Pocy kids put for the effort of getting involved and adapting to their new environment then they will have an enjoyable experience at their new "home".

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I know the girl that is in line to be the Validictorian next year at Pocahontas. However, when she goes to Graham there will be students with higher GPAS. Not because they have made better grades, because this girl has never made below an A. But because the students at Graham have had more AP and other "weighted" classes to choose from, so their GPA's will be higher. She is in line for a huge scholarship at Pocahontas, but she isn't when she changes schools.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I know the girl that is in line to be the Validictorian next year at Pocahontas. However, when she goes to Graham there will be students with higher GPAS. Not because they have made better grades, because this girl has never made below an A. But because the students at Graham have had more AP and other "weighted" classes to choose from, so their GPA's will be higher. She is in line for a huge scholarship at Pocahontas, but she isn't when she changes schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then, that just helps prove that the kids from Pocahontas will be offered more courses than what they are able to currently take at PHS.

If the girl had been able to take more AP classes at Pocy, then she would likely still be in line to be the class Validictorian next year at Graham...

Chalk one up for consolidation!!!

Wow, that has to be a tough pill to swallow for that girl. I could only imagine how hard that would be for someone who has worked so hard her entire life. As cold hearted as this sounds, and it's not meant to be in any way, but someone always gets screwed during change and its extremely unfortunate that has to be this group of kids at Pocy during this time and age. I wasn't trying to say that it would be a smooth transition with absolutely no problems, I was just saying that once the phase runs through 3 or 4 years (to where no student attended PHS) and it becomes the norm in which all kids are attending [insert school here], then those students should reap the benefits of more opportunity, whether it be athletically or academically.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't know for sure about that. But it will be a REAL INJUSTICE if the Courts allow the whim of five parents overrule the will of the entire County...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's happened before...remember Girl's basketball season???

These 5 fanatics need to let it go...... I hope they waste their own time and money fighting over this. I don't think the TCSB should spend a dime of Tazewell County Taxpayer Money fighting this in Court, and if they do, these 5 bone-heads should re-imburse the REST of the county...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Don't know for sure about that. But it will be a REAL INJUSTICE if the Courts allow the whim of five parents overrule the will of the entire County...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's happened before...remember Girl's basketball season???

These 5 fanatics need to let it go...... I hope they waste their own time and money fighting over this. I don't think the TCSB should spend a dime of Tazewell County Taxpayer Money fighting this in Court, and if they do, these 5 bone-heads should re-imburse the REST of the county...

[/ QUOTE ]and this has to do with you how?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If shes taken one AP class then she can still be valedictorian. If it is still like it was a couple years ago, only 8 AP classes can be counted towards your GPA. So since you can take 7 classes a year, she should be ok, assuming she has taken all the lower level classes such as AP Prep English, 3 years of a foreign language, and Pre-Calculus.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If shes taken one AP class then she can still be valedictorian. If it is still like it was a couple years ago, only 8 AP classes can be counted towards your GPA. So since you can take 7 classes a year, she should be ok, assuming she has taken all the lower level classes such as AP Prep English, 3 years of a foreign language, and Pre-Calculus.

[/ QUOTE ]

So she should take 7 AP classes in one year?!?! I doubt she could fit that many AP classes into her schedule...and do you realize how rediculously hard it would be to take that many AP classes?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then, that just helps prove that the kids from Pocahontas will be offered more courses than what they are able to currently take at PHS.

If the girl had been able to take more AP classes at Pocy, then she would likely still be in line to be the class Validictorian next year at Graham...

Chalk one up for consolidation!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it shows that consolidation can help the students’ academically. But, I was just showing Hokie07 that they aren’t necessarily granted a shot at valedictorian just because they were at their previous school.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So she should take 7 AP classes in one year?!?! I doubt she could fit that many AP classes into her schedule...and do you realize how rediculously hard it would be to take that many AP classes?

[/ QUOTE ]

She's probably already taken more than one. And if she has never gotten below an A, she seems intelligent enough to at least attempt the 7 AP's.

im pretty sure i know who you are talking about Alum...she is my best friends girlfriend if its the same girl...she was really upset when they closed down the schools...i believe she said she has taken 3 and plans to take 4 next year...cant really remember though...the first thing she asked me was if she would lose her validictorian title..she is a very very intelligent girl and she deserves it...she works hard every day for her grades...

If the girl is smart enough, and it sounds like she is, she shouldn't have any problem with taking four AP classes next year. And someone PLEASE let her know, it isn't the end of the world if she isn't the Validictorian...lots of people have never earned that title and still received plenty of scholarships to pay for school...and most of them have done fine in life...

When I was in HS, we didn't have any AP classes. I took the hardest schedule possible, no one else in our class could say they took the classes I took...four years of English, five years of math, five years of social studies, four years of science, two years of foreign language, two years of art, two years of PE/Health, computer class, typing class, general business class, and a creative writing class...never got grades for band and/or annual staff like some of my classmates did. I only had one B ever in high school and it was in art class because I called the teacher an overweight, female dog (long story...Mr. Stone took care of things with that situation though).

I finished 10th in my class with a 3.975 GPA on a 4.0 scale...we had six validictorians that had 4.0's (all six had at least one year of band/and or annual staff to their credit) and three salutatorians that finished with 3.9875 GPA's (all of which had at least one year of band/and or annual staff to their credit). I still got into the college of my choice and earned enough scholarships to pay for school (until I screwed that up once I got to college...but that's another story).

The girl has NOTHING to worry about!

[ QUOTE ]

If the girl is smart enough, and it sounds like she is, she shouldn't have any problem with taking four AP classes next year. And someone PLEASE let her know, it isn't the end of the world if she isn't the Validictorian...lots of people have never earned that title and still received plenty of scholarships to pay for school...and most of them have done fine in life...

When I was in HS, we didn't have any AP classes. I took the hardest schedule possible, no one else in our class could say they took the classes I took...four years of English, five years of math, five years of social studies, four years of science, two years of foreign language, two years of art, two years of PE/Health, computer class, typing class, general business class, and a creative writing class...never got grades for band and/or annual staff like some of my classmates did. I only had one B ever in high school and it was in art class because I called the teacher an overweight, female dog (long story...Mr. Stone took care of things with that situation though).

I finished 10th in my class with a 3.975 GPA on a 4.0 scale...we had six validictorians that had 4.0's (all six had at least one year of band/and or annual staff to their credit) and three salutatorians that finished with 3.9875 GPA's (all of which had at least one year of band/and or annual staff to their credit). I still got into the college of my choice and earned enough scholarships to pay for school (until I screwed that up once I got to college...but that's another story).

[/ QUOTE ]

I know she has nothing to worry about. But when you work as hard as this girl has for the past four years, doing all she can to make the best grades she can, then have the scholarship that you had "locked down" torn out from under you...it doesn’t seem fair. I have NO doubt that she will still get scholarships, but the fact is she was already guaranteed a scholarship...now it is gone.

By the way, Typing and general business classes?? Come on...those are just as easy if not easier than band or any other “gimme†classes. haha

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know she has nothing to worry about. But when you work as hard as this girl has for the past four years, doing all she can to make the best grades she can, then have the scholarship that you had "locked down" torn out from under you...it doesn’t seem fair. I have NO doubt that she will still get scholarships, but the fact is she was already guaranteed a scholarship...now it is gone.

By the way, Typing and general business classes?? Come on...those are just as easy if not easier than band or any other “gimme†classes. haha

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe the larger class will get here MORE scholarships. Instead of being 1/20 or however much it is, she could be 1/120, or 5/120.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a nerd!!! LOL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well maybe the larger class will get here MORE scholarships. Instead of being 1/20 or however much it is, she could be 1/120, or 5/120.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does class size have anything to do with scholarships?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, Typing and general business classes?? Come on...those are just as easy if not easier than band or any other “gimme” classes. haha

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there were no other options at the time and those were the most difficult classes available left for me to take. Trust me, learning to type on piece of crap typewriter in the days when PCs were few and far between was a tremendous accomplishment. Try typing 45 words/minute without any mistakes and without the use of your backspace button on your computer...LOL...

As for the general business class, that was one of the better classes I took in high school. It helped prepare me for everyday "financial-type" decisions that I still put in use today.

The funny part about my entire high school education is the four "elective" classes I took...computer class, typing class, general business class, and creative writing class...were by far the most "useful" classes I took in regards to how much I used what I learned then to "survive" after high school.

In today's world computers and typing are an "everyday practice"...had I not taken those classes, I'd probably still be a computer illiterate, hunt & pecker. The creative writing class enabled me to cruise through college English classes where we had to write papers just about everyday...others struggled mightily while I could sit down and do a paper in no time. Typing also came into play while doing those college English, and other, papers. And of course, as I said, I still use what I learned in the general business class in my everday life now.

I promise you, those four classes were much more difficult (and more useful) than either band or annual staff.