Muncy receives second offer

bandit

Thought you all would like to hear the latest news on Tazewell's Matt Muncy. He's received a second offer from Duke, in addition to his offer from Wake Forest, and I hear through the grapevine that Ohio University has also extended an offer just this week. Great to see a nice, hard-working kid getting recognition. The following article is a reprint from the 'Net, apparently written before he received the Ohio offer.

May 8, 2008

Mike Farrell

Recruiting Analyst

Talk about it in Football Recruiting Board

Wide receiver Matt Muncy out of Tazewell, Va. has added his second offer from the ACC recently. The 6-foot-4, 215-pounder originally held one from Wake Forest. Who else pulled the trigger?

Muncy added an offer from Duke recently.

"Duke offered me," he said. "I really don't know much about Duke's football program at all. They are only three and a half hours away from where I live. I've been down there and met with the coaches. It's a really nice campus. It seems like they are in the beginning stages of rebuilding the football team.

"I talked to the coaches about how I'd fit in there. I really like them; they are nice and friendly. They are remodeling everything."

Muncy also returned to Wake Forest for his fourth trip not too long ago.

"I've been there four times now and it's only two hours away," he said. "I took my grandparents. My grandfather was dying to see Wake. He liked it a lot. I'm close with Coach Russ. I call him or email him every day. There wasn't anything different about this trip."

A bunch of other schools are also showing interest.

"The coaches from Ohio like me a lot and they said an offer could be on the way very soon in the next week or two," he said. "I'm also hearing from Vanderbilt, Marshall, Purdue and Tennessee."

It's been no secret Wake Forest is a leader. Is that still the case?

"That's fair to say, but I'm trying to stay very open-minded," he stated. "If I had to pick today I'd probably go with Wake Forest. I do want to commit before my senior season starts."

This summer Muncy plans to take a few visits.

"I'm definitely going to check out Virginia, since it's an in-state school. I may even visit there on the 17th," he said. "I'd really like to go to Vanderbilt since they are in the SEC. I plan to go to one or two camps this summer."

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to VHS the coach here tells anyone over 6ft 200lbs he can get them a ride to UT. Heck he even got a kid who played 2 games his senior yr a full ride to UNC. Now THATS promoting.

Why would you lie to get a kid promoted? Then the next time you really do have a kid with talent enough to make it, they will not get a look. As for Va high, most of the recruiters know Terry Smith is a born liar and take what he says with a grain of salt.

I think a lot of the coaches around here have the mindset that theyre players arent the caliber of athlete to play at a big university or a D-1 prospect at all. I think they just want to leave it to the players to decide if they want to make a run for a chance at a college scholarship. Itd be nice if coaches would give their players a chance. People that Ive seen from this area that have gone or are planning to go to college and play any kind of sport have, for the most part, done so themselves with little to no help from their coaches. Who knows the kind of prospects we could have all over this area if coaches were to believe that their players had talent past the high school level.

And to add this after receiving such a nice note from Mr. Muncy...

Maybe you'd better learn something about Duke football...you could play there...

Also...please don't consider yourself to be the same caliber athlete as either Austin Fuller or Ansel Ponder...no one else does...

Not to bring the kid down or anything but I thought him having 1 d1 offer was too much now he has 2 maybe more coming I must have been watching the wrong guy or something because the guy I thought was muncy was just a decent play nothing great.

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech, UVA, UNC...that makes 3. He also had Marshall, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina and a few other smaller schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt he received actual offers from all those schools...probably had great interest from all of them but not offers...

Nothing against you, Champs, but lets just not get into another argument over whether this Muncy kid is legit or not. It already exploded on here before and a bunch of people got their panties in a bunch over many people 'disrespecting' the kid. This is an opinion based board and some people cant accept the opinions of others, so instead of making an argument for themselves or the kid, they gave everyone a guilt trip over how they werent honoring Muncy. Let's not have that again.

Oh no i was trying to do anything like that. He has proven himself for those schools and that is why he has been offered I dont think schools just hand out offers just because someone says hey i want to go there he has earned them.i was just saying Ill need to pay more attention to him this season so i can catch what it was I had missed the last time what i wrote must have came out a way i did not intend to post because what i was saying was I was going to keep a eye on him expect too see good thing from him this year.

[ QUOTE ]

There were offers on the table from all of those schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering because I never saw his name on any "offer list" for Virginia Tech...

Like I said, nothing against you buddy. Just trying to clear it up for future posts so no one gets a person from Tazewell into a fit.

And GMan, Tech offered him, but nothing full. They told him it would be full if they were still impressed after his stay at Hargrave. Since I can only see Ansel getting better from attending the Academy and if Tech was interested now, Id say he might be wearing the VT colors next fall...even though he plans to go to UNC.

[ QUOTE ]

Virginia Tech, UVA, UNC...that makes 3. He also had Marshall, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina and a few other smaller schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ponder didn't receive a full scholarship from any of these schools. These schools might have been interested in him or they may have invited him as a walk on but he only had 1 scholarship and that was from western michigan

Go to Rivals.com or Scout.com and it has a complete list of the people each school offered a scholarship to, and ansels name isn't on any of these lists. And if he had an offer from tennesse, vt, unc, uva, vanderbilt, don't you think he should have signed his LOI on febuary 1st on national signing day??

Like I said, go ahead and doubt me, but I know what Ive seen first hand. Being a close friend of Ansel's, Ive seen what hes gotten and seen and heard who's he talked to. Also, signing on National Signing Day has nothing to do with how big of a recruit you are. Anyone who has been recruited can sign on that day. Terrelle Pryor, the biggest recruit this year, didnt even sign on NSD.

If he had a full scholarship to tennesse, unc, uva, vt, then Why Wouldn't you sign??? anybody in their right mind would.. why would you pay to go to hardgrave instead of going to SEC or ACC for free>????????