Muncy receives second offer

bandit

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know any high school football player who is "all that." You know as well as I do that while talent and attitude create the potential for a great football player, the way the coach uses that talent--and the talent of his teammates--has a direct effect on the athlete's ability to perform. If, for instance, your defense sucks (as Tazewell's did last year) and if the overall offensive set is unsuited to the majority of the players' abilities (as Tazewell's was last year until late in the season), there are fewer opportunities for any individual to shine. I'm just saying that it's really nice that a young man from this area has the opportunity to go on to college and prove himself on the field. What he makes of this opportunity is up to him, and I look forward to keeping up with his progress.

BTW, I'm not Mr. Muncy... but thanks for the compliment. Like so many of our young SWVA student/athletes, he's a good kid. I'm rooting for him, Austin Fuller, and any other young man who gets a chance to prove himself on the field while getting a great education to boot.

You never said full scholarship, you said offers. Most of his offers were full, but there were offers. I know Ansel personally, you guys dont. I am a good friend of Ansel's, you guys arent. I believe that I would know what I am talking about when it comes down to a friend of mine.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I'm not Mr. Muncy... but thanks for the compliment. Like so many of our young SWVA student/athletes, he's a good kid. I'm rooting for him, Austin Fuller, and any other young man who gets a chance to prove himself on the field while getting a great education to boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you aren't Mr. Muncy and never said you were...

Mr. Muncy knows what I think about this situation as he and I have been in contact via PMs and I too told him that I hope he takes full advantage of his opportunity to get a GREAT EDUCATION at a GREAT UNIVERSITY for FREE...

[ QUOTE ]

You never said full scholarship, you said offers. Most of his offers were full, but there were offers. I know Ansel personally, you guys dont. I am a good friend of Ansel's, you guys arent. I believe that I would know what I am talking about when it comes down to a friend of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, an "offer" indicates a "full ride"...an invitation to "walk on" is not an "offer"...he had only two "offers", Coastal (which is another story) and Western (which he turned down in hopes of gettin other "offers")...

Ponder was not offered by VT, UNC, or Virginia. My understanding is that those schools told him to go to Hargrave, hit the weight room, and play against tougher competition and they'd be watching. The young man is going to have an opportunity to improve and prove himself next fall and earn a full-ride to an ACC school. At 6'3" with a 4.45 40-time, and a vertical of 36"+ he has the physical tools to be a good one. The biggest problem is that outside of this year he wasn't used very much at Bluefield and he didn't attend many, if any, of the off-season camps.

Thanks alot rules that is the way i had heard the story glad you came on here and cleared up the facts. I knew there was no way any person was going to pass up a offer from a D1 school such as UNC VT Or VA to go somewhere else other than another D1 school.

[ QUOTE ]

Come to VHS the coach here tells anyone over 6ft 200lbs he can get them a ride to UT. Heck he even got a kid who played 2 games his senior yr a full ride to UNC. Now THATS promoting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I seen him driving one of them 1979 Good Times Chevrelet vans with a sorcerer painted on the side of it. If he takes that shag carpet and frigadare out of it, I'd say he could tote quite a few youngens and give them all a ride down to UT. Shoot, it haint but about an hour or two down the road and them rednecks down there in Nocksville would take a liking to that van of hisen.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, an "offer" indicates a "full ride"...an invitation to "walk on" is not an "offer"...he had only two "offers", Coastal (which is another story) and Western (which he turned down in hopes of gettin other "offers")... [/quote

I have to agree. If he had offers from those places, he would have went. Advice or being interested or saying hey, you can walk on doesn't mean it's an offer.

Can we not be happy that both guys are doing well. I mean what do any of us know about the recruiting game. WE have our opinions based on what we see them do in HS. If you have the right attitude, athleticism, and size, you can be a D1 athlete. Apparently the Muncy kid has it. For him to have a few offers to D1, someone has seen him do something at a camp or something. Kudos to Muncy.

[ QUOTE ]

Can we not be happy that both guys are doing well. I mean what do any of us know about the recruiting game. WE have our opinions based on what we see them do in HS. If you have the right attitude, athleticism, and size, you can be a D1 athlete. Apparently the Muncy kid has it. For him to have a few offers to D1, someone has seen him do something at a camp or something. Kudos to Muncy.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the kids mentioned here have talent, and if they have the drive, there's no reason why they can't all excel at the college level. As to Ponder's situation, he sure wouldn't be the first one to "tune up" at a smaller school, then transfer and find success at a bigger school. Good luck to all of them.

[ QUOTE ]

According to Rivals he committed to Wake today

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that, too. Glad he chose Wake--don't think he could go wrong there. Grobe is a terrific person as well as a good, solid coach.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

According to Rivals he committed to Wake today

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that, too. Glad he chose Wake--don't think he could go wrong there. Grobe is a terrific person as well as a good, solid coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

He obviously took the advice I gave him....

Congrats young man...take advantage of this tremendous opportunity...

I think that its great that "any" high school athlete from our area gets offers from D1 programs. I throw Fuller, Ponder, Muncy and any other athlete the best of luck. And I agree with one of the previous posts. There is some good talent on every playing field in this region. I hope that the national exposure and attention that these guys are getting bleeds over. It should help in getting more local athletes looks from colleges at all levels.

congrats to Muncy on accepting this offer. My friends and I always talk about how if Wake were to offer us in anything we would take it over anyone else simply because if football, baseball, etc. were to not work out, having a degree from Wake Forest alone can get you accepted at most any job. Congrats.

let me remind everyone, unless your a freek (like R. Moss) most high school kids do not get recruited by what they do on a high school playing field during a high school game. Most go to combines and depending on their performance at that combine depends on the schools that do the recruiting. If your lucky enough to get a recruiter looking at you at a game, well more power to that athlete. Matt Muncy did a great job of working hard and training for the combine he attended and Kudos to him for acheiving the offers he has received. He is also a very good student and colleges also look at that. Maybe that is why his offers are a little more impressive. Maybe that is why Ponder also needs to go to a junior college first. I believe there are great athelets on most of the high school fields in this area, but unless you stand out like a sore thumb you need to apply yourself at these camps and combines.

Confirming what you said above....

this is a partial of an earlier post I made this year.....

the coach being quoted is from North Gwinnett High School.

Camps and combines

A rising high school prospect can make a name for himself in the summer, when colleges across the country hold football camps on their campuses.

"The football coach is nothing more than a door opener for the kids," Sphire said. "I can't show college coaches everything they should see about a kid. That's why the kids and parents have to do their part."

Aside from having a high enough GPA and a qualifying SAT or ACT, there are other things students and parents can do to help their college football recruiting.

Touring a college campus, whether it's an unofficial visit or an official one, can help an athlete decide if he likes the school. Going to college summer camps and recruiting combines can also help.

"Pick out four or five schools that you think you have a legitimate shot of playing at and go to their summer camp and impress them," Brookwood coach Mark Crews said.

Often camps held by colleges can spark the interest of a coach and eventually lead to that team recruiting the player.

Combines have also become a popular way for players to get noticed. A player can go to a combine and if he runs the 40-yard dash in an impressive time or looks agile, it can get the college scouts' attention.

But maybe the biggest thing local high school coaches stress for players and parents is communication, staying in touch with the schools that the player is interested in.

Colleges are recruiting hundreds of prospects, so when they don't hear back from someone, especially at the smaller schools, they may move on to another player.

"It's so critical for the parents and the kids when those doors open to follow through," Sphire said.

Has anyone seen Muncy's highlight film on Rivals? I'm guessing Wake Forest hasn't either. The film is obviously sped up on half of the plays, to be honest there is really nothing that stands outs to me on film. I saw maybe one play against an above average team, maybe one.

But obviously the camps and combines have worked wonders for him, so we'll see if all of this is true next year.

[ QUOTE ]

he makes decent plays against average teams...the kid can run fast and lift big...he should try track-that's more his sport

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right, he has the build to be a good footall player at the next level but I don't see the athleticism.

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen Muncy's highlight film on Rivals? I'm guessing Wake Forest hasn't either. The film is obviously sped up on half of the plays, to be honest there is really nothing that stands outs to me on film. I saw maybe one play against an above average team, maybe one.

But obviously the camps and combines have worked wonders for him, so we'll see if all of this is true next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

And most of the plays on his highlight film are against the second and third strings of the other teams since Tazewell was getting blown out in most of those games...