the SWD

GHS61

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yes there is a transfer from Atlanta, Georgia. It is now officially confirmed. He is a sophomore. He is talented but he is young.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would anyone move from Atlanta to anywhere close to richlands...poor kid.

[/ QUOTE ]. His exact response 2 that ? Is "to win a championship."

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yes there is a transfer from Atlanta, Georgia. It is now officially confirmed. He is a sophomore. He is talented but he is young.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly.poor guy.

the kid has ties to the jewell ridge area. he has the chance to be a good player with some hard work & dedication. seems to have both as of now but as far as this season who knows but the future for him could be a bright one.

Does anyone know the kids name? Richlands will have a decent amount of seniors this year but I think you will see a good number of sophmores and juniors playing.

[ QUOTE ]

What kind of size does this kid have?

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't really look like a football player and he doesn't have what they call "the social skills", but he's got something inside of him that makes him a demon on the field...kinda like "tackling fuel", the boy knows how to open up a whole case of whoop-ass....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also...that's a bunch-o-crap...GA is pretty high up on the list of great football programs in high school...I'd put them right up there with TX and FL as far as popularity of the sport at a HS level...so that's just bull that you would leave the Atlanta area "to win a championship"...at the AA level none the less...when you could stay at home and Valdosta is right in your back yard? Right. Looks like a few in the Blue Zone are full of themselves if they think that.

If the kid has family here then great...I still feel bad for anyone who leaves an area like Atlanta to move to Richlands or anywhere close.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also...that's a bunch-o-crap...GA is pretty high up on the list of great football programs in high school...I'd put them right up there with TX and FL as far as popularity of the sport at a HS level...so that's just bull that you would leave the Atlanta area "to win a championship"...at the AA level none the less...when you could stay at home and Valdosta is right in your back yard? Right. Looks like a few in the Blue Zone are full of themselves if they think that.

If the kid has family here then great...I still feel bad for anyone who leaves an area like Atlanta to move to Richlands or anywhere close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because Atlanta would be a great place to raise children.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the schools are so large in the metro and surrounding ATL area that many kids that don't/wouldn't get to see much playing time possibly would/could be starters in smaller areas. Having watched some games here in ATL, unless, you're an exceptional player you may not get any/or minimal playing time( esp. at the skilled positions) until you're a senior.

Now, I don't know if this is the case for this young man ....just throwing out my personal opinion.

Considering his mother is from the Richlands area, she maybe wanted to be closer to her family.

Or maybe you are full of yourself with that post Lance? I do wish people would stop trying to slap an "S" on his chest... he is only a sophomore, and an unproven one at that... but the fact that he came to Richlands to play football isn't a "bunch-o-crap".

His mom held the RHS Girls BB career points record for a number of years and continued to keep up with RHS sports after moving to Atlanta. She doesn't live in Valdosta, and Sean didn't go to Valdosta HS. He went to a large school in Atlanta that plays all it's games on Saturday afternoon in front of a crowd that could care less in a stadium it shares with several other schools.

When you mention Valdosta you're still thinking about small town high school football. It's not like that in a pro/college sports city. High school football there is "Nothing like it is here".

So yes, he came here to play football. He was drawn to the allure of small town, "Friday night lights" football in SW Virginia... and yes, he was drawn to the FACT that Richlands WINS!

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know the kids name? Richlands will have a decent amount of seniors this year but I think you will see a good number of sophmores and juniors playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

sean overton

[ QUOTE ]

Or maybe you are full of yourself with that post Lance? I do wish people would stop trying to slap an "S" on his chest... he is only a sophomore, and an unproven one at that... but the fact that he came to Richlands to play football isn't a "bunch-o-crap".

His mom held the RHS Girls BB career points record for a number of years and continued to keep up with RHS sports after moving to Atlanta. She doesn't live in Valdosta, and Sean didn't go to Valdosta HS. He went to a large school in Atlanta that plays all it's games on Saturday afternoon in front of a crowd that could care less in a stadium it shares with several other schools.

When you mention Valdosta you're still thinking about small town high school football. It's not like that in a pro/college sports city. High school football there is "Nothing like it is here".

So yes, he came here to play football. He was drawn to the allure of small town, "Friday night lights" football in SW Virginia... and yes, he was drawn to the FACT that Richlands WINS!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...yeah how am I full of myself? that makes no sense BigD...sorry.

As for the Atlanta area...much more to offer a kid than Richlands...not even going to explain that to you if you don't understand it already. The "Atlanta Area" outside of the inner city is easy to find a nice rural area.

Like I said...if they have family here and wanted to come home then great...if it was "just" to play football...then probably not the best move. The kid is young enough that it's going to give him a couple of years to mature anyway...so best of luck to him...I'll be pulling for him to be the next big thing just like i would any kid in this area.

My point was I don't think Richlands program is so special that it would merit a transfer of a kid from Atlanta to Richlands.

I think if I was going to do that in this area (make a move for just football), it would be to Bluefield...seems like they have much more success over the same timeframe as Richlands...thus the "crap and full of themselves" comments...because if you think Richlands football is that special...you only need to look as far as Bluefield to realize...it's not.

I can tell you that there are a ton of high schools in the metro Atl. area that are loaded with football talent. My son's former high school is from up in NW Georgia and last year, and about every year, they make the playoffs only to go to Atl and get spanked in the first round. Those schools have unbeleivable speed at the skill positions as well as on the line. They are fun to watch.

BTW...Graham wins the SWD

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because Atlanta would be a great place to raise children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just b/c ATL has traffic, crime, tremendous heat and humidity, a "keeping up w/the Joneses" mentality, and you don't know your neighbors on the next block (however, gossip is kept to a minimum b/c of this) and last but not least, no water, b/c you have those "gators" as a neighboring state.....(and they're wanting to take all of our drinking water for their mussels downstream)....otherwise, ATL is a great place to live.

I'm glad I've lived on "both sides of the street"...the rural and the urban. There's benefits to both as well as downsides for both....every area has its undesirables w/ATL being no exception.

i'll have to go with either Richlands or Graham to take it, but that doesn't mean abingdon, marion, tazewell, carroll county or grundy can't take it. one of them might surprise everyone and take the SWD. we'll never know til its time for football