Graham-Beaver Game

TonyMontana

Well we might as well get the opions started now. Graham has a game under their belts against a very good Christansburg team. Bluefield has a couple scrimmages under theirs. I think the G-men have the jitters out of them and after their offensive performance against C'burg im picking the G-men to come out on top in a close one. what do you all think?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word has it one or two G-Men may be sidelined fri. night due to injurys from C'burg game

I've been trying to find out the status of Marrs b/c I know he spent a good part of the second half icing his knee between series. And of course #63 had to be helped off the field with a leg injury and was in a great deal of pain on the sideline. I said it earlier and will say it again, I hope Graham is 100% healthy b/c I don't want any excuses.

I heard from a reliable source that Graham's #63 may be out for the season with a knee injury. Like Rules said, I hope Graham is 100% healthy because I don't want there to be any excuses for why Bluefield wins the game. Graham's front 7/8/9 couldn't stop Christiansburg's very deliberate rushing attack and their offense wasn't impressive. I think Bluefield's tricky work with motion and misdirection along with the weapons of Jake Lilly, Marcus Patterson, Donte Baker, Alex Morris, Tre Williams and Byron Steptoe in the backfield, Graham will be in over their heads. I say Bluefield wins by at least 14.

I heard from a reliable source that Graham's #63 may be out for the season with a knee injury. Like Rules said, I hope Graham is 100% healthy because I don't want there to be any excuses for why Bluefield wins the game. Graham's front 7/8/9 couldn't stop Christiansburg's very deliberate rushing attack and their offense wasn't impressive. I think Bluefield's tricky work with motion and misdirection along with the weapons of Jake Lilly, Marcus Patterson, Donte Baker, Alex Morris, Tre Williams and Byron Steptoe in the backfield, Graham will be in over their heads. I say Bluefield wins by at least 14.

As usual, you are wrong. They are both playing.

As usual, you are wrong. They are both playing.

yep.and the players that carried bluefield to a wv state title LAST YEAR are gone with the exception of cole.and as i said earlier c-burg has 16 returning starters from last year.and bluefield is returning how many?Graham wins this one by at least 2 TDs.

Graham is way better than the 07' team.and bluefield isnt.

That's why I said that "I heard."; I never said it was for certain.

Also, Cole, Wassum, Patterson and Lilly are all back and every one of them are all-state performers. It's kind of hard to be "way better" than a team that went 13-0 and won a state championship, however, it isn't too hard to be "way better" than a team that got booted out in the first round of the playoffs.

I thought you posted nothing but factual information..........Or are you just full of crap like most of us think anyway?

Also, Cole, Wassum, Patterson and Lilly are all back and every one of them are all-state performers. It's kind of hard to be "way better" than a team that went 13-0 and won a state championship, however, it isn't too hard to be "way better" than a team that got booted out in the first round of the playoffs.

Bluefield wouldn't have faired any better than Graham last year, if they were on the VA side.

Bluefield wouldn't have faired any better than Graham last year, if they were on the VA side.

That's not true.......they would have made it to Lynchburg where they would have gotten smoked just like Richlands did. But maybe the 17 1st team all staters they had would have trumphed Takeem Hedgeman and Monticello.

Graham 77 Bluefield 6

Graham's NFL caliber line manhandles the very small, inexperienced, unathletic Bluefield front as Kyle Harris and Dominique Lane combine for 1,000 yards rushing in the game. Bluefield's only touchdown comes from a fumbled QB keeper from David Marrs when he takes it back to the goal line in an attempt to go 99 yards for the touchdown (he drops the ball in the endzone, and Jake Lilly trips on his own shoelace and accidently falls on it for a touchdown). The PAT is blocked.

Graham goes on to defeat every team in VA by a minumum of 5 touchdowns and captures the state title. The VT-UVA game is cancelled and Graham is automatically awarded the Commonwealth Cup.

Oh, and in case you're wondering - Bluefield then runs the table and captures their 10th state title in the weak competion of West Virginia.

Mark it down.

Graham 77 Bluefield 6

Graham's NFL caliber line manhandles the very small, inexperienced, unathletic Bluefield front as Kyle Harris and Dominique Lane combine for 1,000 yards rushing in the game. Bluefield's only touchdown comes from a fumbled QB keeper from David Marrs when he takes it back to the goal line in an attempt to go 99 yards for the touchdown (he drops the ball in the endzone, and Jake Lilly trips on his own shoelace and accidently falls on it for a touchdown). The PAT is blocked.

Graham goes on to defeat every team in VA by a minumum of 5 touchdowns and captures the state title. The VT-UVA game is cancelled and Graham is automatically awarded the Commonwealth Cup.

Oh, and in case you're wondering - Bluefield then runs the table and captures their 10th state title in the weak competion of West Virginia.

Mark it down.

Why are you getting mad? Just because we aren't drinking the Kool-Aid of Beaver greatness? I am sure you will have a good team and a playoff team. That is without question. What the Graham folk having a problem with is crowning yourselves this game simply on what you did last year. Last time I looked, no brooks,no ponder,no offensive or defensive lines. Have we not learned our lessons from watching Richlands last week? You know the one where proven players win games. Like I said you have 2 proven players in my mind, Cole and Lilly. As of now Patterson has proven nothing on his own. And I don't want to hear about Wassum. Hell I could get open if I had ponder to my left going downfield and brooks on my right. Please, and I am an old man. It is simple, if the Beaver offensive line protects Cole and run blocks well then Bluefield wins the game. If not Graham wins, it's as simple as that. Lines win games, not skill players.

Why are you getting mad? Just because we aren't drinking the Kool-Aid of Beaver greatness? I am sure you will have a good team and a playoff team. That is without question. What the Graham folk having a problem with is crowning yourselves this game simply on what you did last year. Last time I looked, no brooks,no ponder,no offensive or defensive lines. Have we not learned our lessons from watching Richlands last week? You know the one where proven players win games. Like I said you have 2 proven players in my mind, Cole and Lilly. As of now Patterson has proven nothing on his own. And I don't want to hear about Wassum. Hell I could get open if I had ponder to my left going downfield and brooks on my right. Please, and I am an old man. It is simple, if the Beaver offensive line protects Cole and run blocks well then Bluefield wins the game. If not Graham wins, it's as simple as that. Lines win games, not skill players.

No animosity at all coming from this side... It was a small joke because everyone is getting so bent out of shape because a few Bluefield fans weren't impressed with Graham's performance last Friday against Christiansburg.

He isn't mad. That is all factual information from the horse's own mouth.

Seriously, I think Bluefield will be able to run on Graham, maybe not as much as C'burg, but they will be able to. I don't know anything about Graham's defensive secondary, but I know that Bluefield should have some good weapons for Will Cole to throw to. I look for Levi Beckett to have a pretty big year, cause that kid can play some football. Wassum has to step up big to fill part of Ponder's shoes...I don't think anyone this year can fill them alone. I don't know much about these new backs we have, but I know that Jake Lilly and Marcus Patterson can run all over the place and both can catch some passes. I think Bluefield will have many weapons offensive like we do nearly every year.

Our defense, as little as I know about it, should be pretty good. I know nothing about our line, but every year Freddy puts the best players in their most effective positions and it seems to work. Our linebackers will be monsters, so once a runner/receiver gets past the line of scrimmage, there is someone to make the tackle. In the secondary, Marcus Patterson is a wonderful corner and with Beckett's atheleticism he should be able to fill the empty spot left by Chase Joyner's departure. I am not sure how Will is gonna do at safety, but he is a very smart kid and should do just fine back there.

I heard from someone that went to the Graham game last week that Dominique (sp?) Lane is a very impressive runner for the G-men. As far as Kyle Harris goes, that boy can run the football if he doesn't try to dance around too much in the backfield. I also heard he had a small problem with over-celebrating after nearly every play. (That statement may be completely wrong, but it is what I HEARD.) Don't know much about the Graham passing game, but as in years' past, I don't think we will see much of one with their smashmouth style.

Score time...

Bluefield 25 Graham 13

Like I said you have 2 proven players in my mind, Cole and Lilly. As of now Patterson has proven nothing on his own. And I don't want to hear about Wassum. .

Patterson hasen't proven anything on his own?? Have you watched the games for the past 2 seasons..Since his freshmen year Patterson has proved to everyone that he is one of the best players on the field..open your eyes..and don't make dumb statements like that

That's not true.......they would have made it to Lynchburg where they would have gotten smoked just like Richlands did. But maybe the 17 1st team all staters they had would have trumphed Takeem Hedgeman and Monticello.

Someone sounds a little bitter and envious......

This whole Bluefield/Graham thing kinda reminds me of a big brother/little brother scenario where the little brother (Graham) is jealous of the big brother (Bluefield) and always questions their achievements. Every year the big brother listens to how the little brother says they're going to do this and that - but they just chuckle to themselves, roll their eyes, and then blast the little brother in the mouth again and again.

Edited by Sources

Someone sounds a little bitter and envious......

This whole Bluefield/Graham thing kinda reminds me of a big brother/little brother scenario where the little brother (Graham) is jealous of the big brother (Bluefield) and always questions their achievements. Every year the big brother listens to how the little brother says they're going to do this and that - but they just chuckle to themselves, roll their eyes, and then blast the little brother in the mouth again and again.

No, not bitter at all. I am glad you won it last year. But facts are facts, you were 3 points better than the virginia state runner up on their home field. So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you were 7 points better at home. On a neutral field, we will call it five. They lost to Monticello 36-22, and it was 36-6 when they called off the dogs. Which to me means that Bluefield wouldn't have stayed within 10 points of Monticello. Sorry bud, going on logic they wouldn't have. That is not jealousy, you can justify it as that if you want. Maybe it will make you feel better.

CPF

My first post on this board! Amusing posts by all sides! However CPF, your method of figuring out if Bluefield would have won in VA is about as bogus as it comes. By your logic, no team (A) would ever beat another team (B), if team (A) had a loss to another team © that had been beat by team (B). However, I will assume you know the contrary to this happens frequently in football! How does this fit into your "logic?" Your "logic" would suggest no team with a loss should ever win a state championship.

Graham may be a good team, and may give Bluefield a good game. I don't think Graham will win unless Bluefield comes out and plays a flat, bad game. However, CPF, you need to acknowledge Bluefield had a great team last year, that might have also "run the table" in VA. Loyalty to the G-men seems to keep you from being able to recognize good football teams in rivals. I do not know you, but I know I would not listen to you if I were betting on any games in any sport, based on how you exhibit a lack of objective thought on htis board.

Edited by stevef

CPF

My first post on this board! Amusing posts by all sides! However CPF, your method of figuring out if Bluefield would have won in VA is about as bogus as it comes. By your logic, no team (A) would ever beat another team (B), if team (A) had a loss to another team © that had been beat by team (B). However, I will assume you know the contrary to this happens frequently in football! How does this fit into your "logic?" Your "logic" would suggest no team with a loss should ever win a state championship.

Graham may be a good team, and may give Bluefield a good game. I don't think Graham will win unless Bluefield comes out and plays a flat, bad game. However, CPF, you need to acknowledge Bluefield had a great team last year, that might have also "run the table" in VA. Loyalty to the G-men seems to keep you from being able to recognize good football teams in rivals. I do not know you, but I know I would not listen to you if I were betting on any games in any sport, based on how you exhibit a lack of objective thought on htis board.

Good point, and in a close game you could throw that logic out the window. But the championship game was not close. And it wouldn't have been any closer if Bluefield was playing in it either. Sorry if that is disrespecting Bluefield, but in Virginia it is truth. In West Virginia you were the champions, and I am happy for you. You guys believe you are great, god bless you.......

Marcus Patterson hasn't proven himself, that's for sure. He's only been an all-state performer his first two years of high school and is probably known best for picking off Chris Belcher of Princeton 3 times in one game his freshman year, one of those was followed by a big return setting us up in great scoring possition. Cody Wassum hasnt proven himself either. All-state in two sports, Cody has never been acknowledged for his athletic abilities. One 220+lb Princeton player guranteed that if 175lb Cody Wassum every beat him off the line he would quit football. If he had had stuck to his word, he wouldn't be playing his senior year this season as Cody destroyed him on every play in last year's 20-0 victory.

But as you said, neither one of them have proven themselves, so what is there to worry?

Congratulations! That post asinine post has put in very select company on this board with a certain other poster that CPF can tell you about. Stand up and be proud.

cant we all just get along?i just hope i can sit in that great stadium friday night and watch a great game.who gives a damn who wins?really is our private lives gonna be changed by a high school football game?i dont think so.im looking forward to the game and i hope i get to see a great one.i would like to see an overtime game.what about yall?

Good point, and in a close game you could throw that logic out the window. But the championship game was not close. And it wouldn't have been any closer if Bluefield was playing in it either. Sorry if that is disrespecting Bluefield, but in Virginia it is truth. In West Virginia you were the champions, and I am happy for you. You guys believe you are great, god bless you.......

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Bluefield doesn't have an all-time losing record against ANY VA team, I definitely know that we own the Southwest District when it comes to all-time wins/losses.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Bluefield doesn't have an all-time losing record against ANY VA team, I definitely know that we own the Southwest District when it comes to all-time wins/losses.

Pulaski County has an overall edge against Bluefield...something like 10-7. (Most of those games were played when Bluefield was AAA. In recent history, PC has owned Bluefield).

And let's talk recent history here....Not when Bluefield was AAA and Graham was A. Let's compare the past 20 years or so (when enrollment numbers were closer) and see where everybody is at. I think you'll find their record around 0.500 against SWD teams.

In fact, Pulaski has won 8 of the last 9 against Bluefield...and here are the scores...

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

W

Bluefield, W.Va.

L

Bluefield, W.Va.

W 49

*Notice the last time Bluefield won was in 1999 on a touchdown run by Charlie Tynes with less than a minute remaining (At least I think it was Tynes...my memory of that game is a little foggy). Any more questions?

Some folks in Bluefield like to claim that Pulaski is afraid to schedule Bluefield... Why would they be afraid, with a record like this against them in recent years???

Edited by futbolking