Bluefield @ charlotte cds

buzzsawBeaver

What bluefield doesn't need is to spend a week and 1/2 preparing for this game with doubts of their ability to defeat them in their minds. PEerhaps that's not the case, hopefully it isn't.

I've been around long enough to have seen bluefield impressed with the bigger state or location of a football program more than they needed to be, sometimes it was warranted, more times it wasn't.

Pikeville ky was everything bluefield expected and more in '95, granted they finished their season undefeated as ky state champions, and were a private school that recruited.

I recall bluefield being very impressed with a 9 - 0 sullivan south team in '81 that was ranked 2nd or 3rd in aaa in tennessee in a season that bluefield was 3 - 6 in to that point. Bluefield defeated them 21- 7. Bluefield is 3 - 2 against tennessee teams.

Bluefield has done well against teams from maryland and tennessee, the dc schools, and done well against va schools and many aaa and aa wv schools from the other sides of the state.

Graham has done well enough against tennessee schools themsleves.

The fact is sometimes it's hard to determine the level of football from different areas. But we have good football here pound for pound. Perhaps underrated football pound for pound.

I don't doubt the caliber of charlotte teams the likes of independance and some other top schools in that area, but we don't know the difference in drop off between those top programs and more common programs from that area.

We don't know if charlotte country day being a private school in that area makes a difference in their caliber or not. I do expect them to be a formidable football team regardless, they seem to have high expectations and seem to be having a good season so far.

We don't know how they'll prepare for bluefield mentally, whether they'll afford them lots of respect based on bluefield's tradition that they investigate or perhaps overlook a smaller team from wv.

As for bluefield, without a doubt they have speed in nc to, but who's to say bluefield doesn't bring a different style that is harder for this team to adjust to, or that bluefield simply doesn't commit turnovers as they did in their 1st 2 games and has some big plays. We simply don't know, but bluefield has some very capable players, big play potential and we know they can be physical.

Perhaps it's a good game for bluefield to make the most of their potential, and be proud of the opportunity to represent wv there...

What bluefield doesn't need is to spend a week and 1/2 preparing for this game with doubts of their ability to defeat them in their minds. PEerhaps that's not the case, hopefully it isn't.

I've been around long enough to have seen bluefield impressed with the bigger state or location of a football program more than they needed to be, sometimes it was warranted, more times it wasn't.

Pikeville ky was everything bluefield expected and more in '95, granted they finished their season undefeated as ky state champions, and were a private school that recruited.

I recall bluefield being very impressed with a 9 - 0 sullivan south team in '81 that was ranked 2nd or 3rd in aaa in tennessee in a season that bluefield was 3 - 6 in to that point. Bluefield defeated them 21- 7. Bluefield is 3 - 2 against tennessee teams.

Bluefield has done well against teams from maryland and tennessee, the dc schools, and done well against va schools and many aaa and aa wv schools from the other sides of the state.

Graham has done well enough against tennessee schools themsleves.

The fact is sometimes it's hard to determine the level of football from different areas. But we have good football here pound for pound. Perhaps underrated football pound for pound.

I don't doubt the caliber of charlotte teams the likes of independance and some other top schools in that area, but we don't know the difference in drop off between those top programs and more common programs from that area.

We don't know if charlotte country day being a private school in that area makes a difference in their caliber or not. I do expect them to be a formidable football team regardless, they seem to have high expectations and seem to be having a good season so far.

We don't know how they'll prepare for bluefield mentally, whether they'll afford them lots of respect based on bluefield's tradition that they investigate or perhaps overlook a smaller team from wv.

As for bluefield, without a doubt they have speed in nc to, but who's to say bluefield doesn't bring a different style that is harder for this team to adjust to, or that bluefield simply doesn't commit turnovers as they did in their 1st 2 games and has some big plays. We simply don't know, but bluefield has some very capable players, big play potential and we know they can be physical.

Perhaps it's a good game for bluefield to make the most of their potential, and be proud of the opportunity to represent wv there...

Buzzsaw, if I recall I believe that Pikeville got beat in the semi-finals of the KY high school playoffs by a team from the middle part of the state and the reason why I say this is because I was doing part of my locomotive engineer training in Williamson, WV which is on the KY border and I remember sitting in my hotel room watching a Kentucky tv station doing the Kentucky high school playoffs and I remember them showing the Pikeville score and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the score.

On a sad note: Do you remember the running back for Pikeville that ran all over Bluefield?...well he joined the military after high school and was killed in Iraq.

http://www.khsaa.org/football/1995/fb1a1995.htm

The link above shows Pikeville getting beat by Beechwood 42-15 on 11-24-95 in the semi-finals.

Edited by rabidbeaver

not exactly a AAAA powerhouse .......if they are, then we all need to schedule more games in north carolina...........the only possible thing i see hurting bluefield is officiating......thanks for the video........bluefield beats that bunch.

On a sad note: Do you remember the running back for Pikeville that ran all over Bluefield?...well he joined the military after high school and was killed in Iraq.

Are you talking about the 280 lb running back that had more moves than jello? He went wild that night as I remember...........that is a shame.

not exactly a AAAA powerhouse .......if they are, then we all need to schedule more games in north carolina...........the only possible thing i see hurting bluefield is officiating......thanks for the video........bluefield beats that bunch.

They are not a 4A school...they have 1600 kids in 12 grades...if you count their "three grade enrollment", its around 400 thus the reason they count as a "AA" school in the WV rating system...

Pikeville is not a private school. It is a city school. Players that did not live in the city limits but live in Pike county had to pay to attend there. Like when a kid from Mercer County came over to Graham the county use to charge out of state tuition. That did not make Graham a private school or recruiting.

Edited by olewave

Buzzsaw, if I recall I believe that Pikeville got beat in the semi-finals of the KY high school playoffs by a team from the middle part of the state and the reason why I say this is because I was doing part of my locomotive engineer training in Williamson, WV which is on the KY border and I remember sitting in my hotel room watching a Kentucky tv station doing the Kentucky high school playoffs and I remember them showing the Pikeville score and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the score.

http://www.khsaa.org/football/1995/fb1a1995.htm

The link above shows Pikeville getting beat by Beechwood 42-15 on 11-24-95 in the semi-finals.

That's very unfortunate to read, great of him to serve this country for certain, but unfortunate.

cpf if I recall there was a very big player they used at fb or rb, who was really a lineman who could move really well for his size that you're thinking of, then there was a more common sized rb they had who had a big game against bluefield.

Appreciate the correction rabidbeaver, I had always thought they had earned the title that season, if I recall weren't they runners up the season before in '04?

olewave, I'm almost certain the team bluefield played was an actual private school, that there was pikeville high, then this school, perhaps someone can verify that.

Myself and jay sims had talked to someone personally, (1 of jay's good friends) who's mother lived there and who spent a lot of time in pikeville and he had told us all about the program well beforehand, and told us we would have our hands full with them.

1 thing I do think about private schools regardless of whether they do or don't actually recruit, is that regardless of the size or strength or speed of individuals players on their team, they are commonly filled with players who are very good athletes, and intelligent and know the game well.

I'm not so certain I agree with you though duhwhat, I realize they aren't a aaaa powerhouse, but I think they have some size and strength that could be a big challenge for bluefield by looking at some of their game photos. I don't see them as an easy game in any way, I won't complain if I'm proven wrong.

I think Bluefield has a chance. The Private Schools aren't nearly as good as the public schools. Bluefield has an excellent chance in this one, IMO....(They are private, correct?)

I'm going to have to disagree with you a little bit here futbolking. From what I've read and been told about ccds on the ncpreps board and a few others, the Charlotte private schools would be very competitive at the 4A level in N.C.

Also according to a ratings website(looks kind of like the Gilliam ratings that used to be on VA preps) they have ccds ranked 16th in the state. They also have another private school in Charlotte, Charlotte Latin ranked first in the state.

Take that for what it's worth(may not be worth much), but I think Bluefield is in for a very tough test on Friday.

I stand corrected then, but what is an independent school?

The game isn't this week though pirate it's the friday after this, bluefield doesn't have a game till then. But maybe you knew that and just weren't specific about which friday.

I stand corrected then, but what is an independent school?

The game isn't this week though pirate it's the friday after this, bluefield doesn't have a game till then. But maybe you knew that and just weren't specific about which friday.

The City of Pikeville VS Pike County basically..Pikeville High School is not a part of Pike County Public Schools...like East Ridge, Shelby Valley, Belfrey,and Pike Central.

It is like Radford is a city school, Christiansburg, Blacksburg are county schools, but all are in Montgomery County. Va High is a city school, but is in Washington county along with Abingdon, John Battle, Patrick Henry. City schools do not get funding from the county. All funding comes from the state and city.

bluefield beats that bunch.
i hope ur right, we cant afford to lose too many more games or we'll be watchin the playoffs on Nov. 14/15

i have a feeling that the Bluefield Beavers could possibly show this team how to play good ole smashmouth football and run all over them.im going with bluefield,

Beaver 35

CCDS 14

I think Bluefield has a chance. The Private Schools aren't nearly as good as the public schools. Bluefield has an excellent chance in this one, IMO....(They are private, correct?)

I'll remember that when Wheeling Central wins I believe their 5th strait championship this year in another blowout.

It is like Radford is a city school, Christiansburg, Blacksburg are county schools, but all are in Montgomery County. Va High is a city school, but is in Washington county along with Abingdon, John Battle, Patrick Henry. City schools do not get funding from the county. All funding comes from the state and city.

Radford isn't in Montgomery County. No cities in the state of Virginia are in counties. Only towns in Virginia are in counties. All cities are independant.

When I was at RU, we considered Radford more as a "part of" Pulaski Co. than Montgomery, since Fairlawn's in Pulaski Co.

While cities are not "part of" a county, they most certainly can be "in" a county. Go over to Wise and walk across the city limits. You'll end up in Wise Co. no matter what.