To all Richlands fans...

rabidbeaver

The first TD by Richlands was not called back for holding it was called back because the man in motion turned up the field early and was moving forward at the snap. The flag went up as soon as the ball was snapped and it was a good call. I don't think any of the Richlands coaches or players complained about that call one bit. Hard to blame a three touchdown loss on officiating.

I wish you guys would learn how to read...no one blamed the loss on officiating. I was asking a simple freakin' question about the first td being called back, and a momentum change in the game. But thanks for your very insightful input.

The first TD by Richlands was not called back for holding it was called back because the man in motion turned up the field early and was moving forward at the snap. The flag went up as soon as the ball was snapped and it was a good call. I don't think any of the Richlands coaches or players complained about that call one bit. Hard to blame a three touchdown loss on officiating.

yea that's what i thought too. i do know the flag went up immediately. the officiating was a non-issue. i would like to see the series continue. it's close to home, always a great crowd, and good competition.

Yeah, and the officials at Richlands are so unbias. Watch the game film from the 1999 Bluefield/Richlands game at Richlands. On 90% of the offensive snaps for Richlands the left side of the offensive was jumping the snap ever so slightly, but it was only called once the entire game. I don't wanna hear the b.s. excuses such as officiating. The fact is Richlands doesn't want to play Bluefield b/c they cannot beat them on a regular basis. They tried weaseling their way out of coming to Bluefield this year. In the end I'd rather play a school and community with some self-respect, so it's probably best the series does end.

I would really like to see the series continue as well, but ignoragnt Bluefield fans like this really make me think other wise. Can't even have a conversation with them with out them throwing insults to an entire community.

I would really like to see the series continue as well, but ignoragnt Bluefield fans like this really make me think other wise. Can't even have a conversation with them with out them throwing insults to an entire community.

You get, what you ask for sometimes....

He doesn't speak for all of us... just letting you know.

richlands is not having an easy times scheduling games either. i don't see them dropping bluefield, gate city or anyone else without having someone competitive lined up. honaker will not be going off the schedule any time soon either. reason? 1 word. "turf" or maybe a half million other reasons

Edited by billyblue
another thought

It goes both ways my friend. Of course, we all know people from Richlands can walk on water and turn that same water into w(h)ine...

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I didn't see the game Friday night, but I listened on the net. I know in the past there have been some accusations of unfair officiating, and that is one of the concerns about playing Bluefield, especially in Bluefield.

When Richlands scored the first TD, it was called back, and I can't remember the call...holding maybe? Anyway, my first thoughts were "here we go again". That call changed the complexion of the game. Bluefield scored on the following series, and the momentum shifted. I'm not saying Richlands would have won the game if not for that play, I'm just wondering if the penalty was questionable or if it was obvious. Again, I'm just stating what I have heard. I do know this...If I were a coach of a high school team and I was concerned about the officiating being unfair, I wouldn't want to continue the series either. I know this swings to both sides, but I was wondering if there was any truth to these accusations? No need to shout me down, because I don't know what's true and what's not...I'm just interested in the truth.

The hold was obvious. A Richlands player had a defender by the back of his jersey as the play developed. The officiating was fine. Sure, there were a few "questionable" calls, but that goes with every game. As for someone saying the roughing call on the Cole punt was a bad call, how about the Richlands place kicker who, after he was brushed by Donte Baker following the kick, walked away for 2 seconds then decided to fall and jumped up complaining about there not being a call for roughing. I remember joining in the uproar of laughter from the Beaver stands with everyone else.

As I said, the officiating was fine. Richlands just got beat.

Actually it was an illegal motion penalty, which was thrown even before the TD was scored. Im pretty sure Im right, the guys from the radio on 106.3 asked the SAME question BlueinBama did, for the same reasons and good reason, and Bob Redd answered that it was illegal motion as well. Definitely not holding, as the flag was about 3 yards from Richlands sideline and I watched it get thrown.

The BDT says, "The Blue Tornado took the opening kick and rolled downfield. An apparent touchdown pass from Joel Elswick to a wide-open Bradley Strong was wiped out by a motion penalty. The drive stalled at the Bluefield 6, forcing a field-goal try that hooked left."

Just wanted to clarify that.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I really want this series to continue for a couple of reasons. First off, we seem to have high caliber teams on our hands here. Each team in their respective state is a dominant force lately. I dont see anything changing that with the coaches we have on our hands here.

Secondly, Both teams gain from it. Playing good competition only makes you better. Unfortunately in WV, we dont get point for losing, but if we do win we get a bunch. I think richlands benefits in the points even if Bluefield wins as well.

Lastly, most Bluefield and Richlands fans are from the same mold. From what I see, both are passionate about their teams and communities, and love football. I dont know how far back richlands football goes, but it is a tradition here at Bluefield.Bluefield is a football town, same with Richlands. And to me, who doesnt want two dynasties, representing their cities and schools, clashing on a friday night, with a loyal fanbase there to support them?

Actually it was an illegal motion penalty, which was thrown even before the TD was scored. Im pretty sure Im right, the guys from the radio on 106.3 asked the SAME question BlueinBama did, for the same reasons and good reason, and Bob Redd answered that it was illegal motion as well. Definitely not holding, as the flag was about 3 yards from Richlands sideline and I watched it get thrown.

The BDT says, "The Blue Tornado took the opening kick and rolled downfield. An apparent touchdown pass from Joel Elswick to a wide-open Bradley Strong was wiped out by a motion penalty. The drive stalled at the Bluefield 6, forcing a field-goal try that hooked left."

Just wanted to clarify that.

Thanks Beavertail. I didn't mean to open this whole can of worms. I thought I was being diplomatic in the way I asked the question, but apparently there are some who just live to talk smack. Thanks for the clarification.

Ok well I'm thinking of some other pass that was called back for a hold. It was when they were headed that same way down the field as they were in the first quarter, so maybe it was then or the 3rd, im not sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would love to see this series continue. As stated by someone earlier, playing good teams will only help you. These programs have proven in recent past to be top notch and if each of them continue to play each other it will only better them.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Thanks Beavertail. I didn't mean to open this whole can of worms. I thought I was being diplomatic in the way I asked the question, but apparently there are some who just live to talk smack. Thanks for the clarification.

Anytime. You had a right to wonder about that. Bluefield screwed people over. Unfortunately, the people in the Mercer County Football Officals Board are having to work hard to change their reputation because of a few rogue officals.

It goes both ways my friend. Of course, we all know people from Richlands can walk on water and turn that same water into w(h)ine...

Give me a break!! Bluefield has just as many fans complain as any other town, including Richlands. I will never defend some of the stupid Richlands fans on here over the years (lord knows we have had our fair share.) But for you to say the entire town of Richlands has no self-respect over the possibility of a football game not being played is nonsense.

Dude that looks like Jeff Gordon, the dude that coaches golf at RHS told me at the Happy Mart in Bluefield Saturday as I was pickin up my roll of skoal that they picked up Lebanon starting next year!!!! I

Bullet Bill Dudley is right about what he heard from the Jeff Gordon lookalike... RHS woulda liked to have won but they are done with this series for this decade. They have picked up the Pineys from Lebanon for a two game set. The only time you will see the RHS coaches in WV from now on will be at the Southern X. That RHS defensive coordinator looks like that coach from Kansas btw. Dud...you need to give up the sko.

Hmmm, they picked up Lebanon??? That sounds about right...

'05 Richlands 54 Lebanon 14

'06 Richlands 69 Lebanon 6

Richlands drops Lebanon after '06 and picks up Bluefield...

'07 Bluefield 16 Richlands 13

'08 Bluefield 35 Richlands 14

Looks rather obvious as to why Richlands is dropping Bluefield for Lebanon...:eek:

Hmmm, they picked up Lebanon??? That sounds about right...

'05 Richlands 54 Lebanon 14

'06 Richlands 69 Lebanon 6

Richlands drops Lebanon after '06 and picks up Bluefield...

'07 Bluefield 16 Richlands 13

'08 Bluefield 35 Richlands 14

Looks rather obvious as to why Richlands is dropping Bluefield for Lebanon...:eek:

And you believe that guy?

And you believe that guy?

Well then, who are they picking up since they are dropping Bluefield???

Haysi??? Hurley??? Twin Valley???

Has to be a team that Richlands can beat...

What difference does it make to fans of other schools? Seriously, I'm perplexed about this fascination with Richlands that seems to be so existential for a lot of outside folks.

The game hasn't even been droped yet. Because one person comes one here and says they talked to someone in a gas station doesn't mean it is a done deal.

The game hasn't even been droped yet. Because one person comes one here and says they talked to someone in a gas station doesn't mean it is a done deal.

Ryan4VT posted:

"I talked to a Richlands coach at work Saturday and he said that the contract is up and it is likely the series will end."

So, Richlands coaches work in a gas station??? Sounds like a somewhat reliable source if you ask me...I mean, "Richlands coach" doesn't exactly say "gas pump jockey"...or does it...

Ryan4VT posted:

"I talked to a Richlands coach at work Saturday and he said that the contract is up and it is likely the series will end."

So, Richlands coaches work in a gas station??? Sounds like a somewhat reliable source if you ask me...I mean, "Richlands coach" doesn't exactly say "gas pump jockey"...or does it...

No Ryan said he talked to a Richlands coach while he was at work. I dont know where Ryan works so I said gas station. Just from experience, I dont buy into what one person says, especially the day after the game was played.

Here to set the record straight.....Richlands, that conniving community, just scheduled the 2 game series with Blfd. b/c we wanted to get familiar w/playing on "turf" and Mitchell Stadium is one of the premier sites around. Yeah, we also play Graham ....but being the greedy bunch we are....one game every other year at Mitchell on turf wasn't enough. Honaker, our closest neighbor, has turf and we sure ain't gonna jettison 'em Tigers now....you know how greed consumes one.

I just don't see why ppl don't get that we, Richlanders, are the berries.....blue ones at that.

I believe that we even got our monicker, Tornado, from one of Blfd.'s own......Stubby Currence. We love Blfd, we want to be just like Blfd.......we even have Blue on our field turf.....we greedy conniving ppl just can't help it.

Yes, above is much silliness.......is it funny ....probably not; .....but if the series does end....which I think many in Richlands would like to see continue....we (Richlanders) do RESPECT the community of Blfd and their football team. However, this plays out....we wish the Beavers the best this year toward the playoffs and in coming years whether we're rivals on the field or not. Most of the Blfd. fans and the Beavers football program is something the Richlands community knows has made us a better football program.

One other thing, I don't walk on water.....but my hope is in ONE that did.

Good luck Beavers.....hopefully, the rivalry will continue and if it doesn't ....it doesn't affect the great respect we have for you and your program.

Edited by trublue