Barack Obama

vthokies4life

George W. Bush? That was the last divided election.

But I have grave doubts that he'll govern as he states: toward the center. His Senate record indicates otherwise. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. He is our President-elect, after all.

I meant divided the country literally. Lincoln is the greatest President ever. FDR is a close second, but I doubt Obama will fall anywhere in the ballpark as those two.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bristol

Obama - 36

McCain - 62

Buchanan

Obama - 47

McCain - 52

Dickenson

Obama - 49

McCain - 49

Lee

Obama - 35

McCain - 63

Norton

Obama - 49

McCain - 49

Russell

Obama - 43

McCain - 56

Scott

Obama - 28

McCain - 71

Smyth

Obama - 34

McCain - 63

Tazewell

Obama - 33

McCain - 66

Washington

Obama - 33

McCain - 66

Wise

Obama - 35

MCain - 63

Wythe

Obama - 33

McCain - 66

Sullivan Co., TN

Obama - 29

McCain - 70

Life has many choices---eternity has two

Guest JJBrickface
I agree Lance! We need to quit complaining and the media needs to stop starting S%*t! Why can't we work together as a country to make this place the place that everyone wanted to be. Obama does have to work from the middle and get both sides on board.

One more time here...WHY HAS IT TAKEN THIS LONG FOR YOU TO FIGURE THIS OUT?

Answer: Because a democrat is now President elect. Liberals have not wanted to work with President Bush to get things done! They've had 8 years to do it and in those 8 years the only time they came remotely close was immediately after 9/11. Once the smoke cleared, it was back to partisan politics for Clinton, Pelosi, Biden, Obama, etc.

Two questions I haven't been able to answer:

1.) What was the percentage of Americans who went to the polls Tuesday?

2.) What are the implications for the Supreme Court Justices with Obama being elected? I thought I heard that a couple of conservative Justices are about to retire, but I could be wrong.

Two questions I haven't been able to answer:

1.) What was the percentage of Americans who went to the polls Tuesday?

2.) What are the implications for the Supreme Court Justices with Obama being elected? I thought I heard that a couple of conservative Justices are about to retire, but I could be wrong.

For #2, here's my take on justices that should/might be replaced:

Justice Stevens: 88 years old, and almost certainly going to step down immediately after Obama's elected. Basically, he lived long enough to see a Democrat take his place. I wish him well in post-retirement.

Justice Ginsburg: 75 years old, and in poor health right now, from what I've read lately. Almost a lock to step down.

Justice Kennedy: 72 years old, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him retire during Obama's term.

Justice Breyer: 70 years old, perhaps the least likely to step down of the bunch, but again, at age 70, it's not unlikely

Virtually, Obama's reign has the chance to see him replace up to 4 Supreme Court justices, but more than likely 2-3. Which is part of the reason this election had HUGE stakes for this nation. The Supreme Court wields MUCH more power than a lay-person realizes.

Guest fatpeopleonthebeach

This is how we Americans have to handle it. If McCain would have won he would have fell over dead soon anyway because he is way to old to be running for president. I don't want my president on a walker his last 2 year in office. And I definitely do not want Sarah Palin running this country. Wait let me think, Oh, Hell no I don't want Sarah Palin running this country. Now over to Obama, I think he will run this country good and try to get us out of the situation that idot George Bush got us in. But, having the ignorant people that the United States has, someone will try there best to assassinate him. Not just because of race, but also about the ignorant people that care about his middle name. GOBAMA

Observer, quick question, of the Supreme Court justices you were speculating may step down, aren't most of them the more left leaning members of the court?

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know nearly as much about the members individually as I should.

Observer, quick question, of the Supreme Court justices you were speculating may step down, aren't most of them the more left leaning members of the court?

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know nearly as much about the members individually as I should.

I second these questions/comments, Observer.

Those four I mentioned are the traditionally left-leaning members of the court, yes. I find it highly unlikely that any of the more conservative members of the Court (Roberts, Alito, Scalia, Souter, Thomas) will retire with a Democrat in the White House. The oldest is Scalia at "just" 72, and there have been 2 nominees under G.W. Bush. This has been a mark of an advanced partisanism in the Supreme Court ever since the first Clinton administration. For example, only Ginsburg and and Breyer were appointed under a Democratic president; Stevens came in under Ford and Kennedy came in under Reagan.

However, I feel that the time is right for up to 3, and perhaps maybe even all 4, of the left-leaning Justices to step down. Especially Stevens (decrepitly old) and Ginsburg (failing health). Kennedy has been practicing law since the mid-1960s, and Breyer since 1970.

And don't be ashamed; law school taught me about everything I know on this. Without it, I'd be lost, too.

is the new President of the United States.

Wow. I'm living in a Blue State now apparently??? I never thought I'd see that happen. This should be 4 interesting years.

should be...we might actually see some PROGRESS.....