House Passes stimulus WITHOUT reading bill

bucfan64

There's been lots of change as promised. Especially in matters of process in the way things are done in haste with recklessness and disregard for what a lot of the American people expect. There was a big reason they had to prevent the people, that the government supposedly represents, from knowing what they were actually doing behind closed doors and making it happen before anyone could oppose it.

Hours upon receiving the 1,000 + page document House members vote to pass it, it is at the present minute with the Senate.

How can an elected official vote for something without first knowing what he is voting for? This is Government out of control.........

Check out my website http://www.gorillaxpress.com

This just exposes the dirty secret of both state and federal legislators; they do not have the time to read the bills that they are voting on. Everything is summarized for them. It is this ignorance of complex issues and laws passed that leave the true decision making to agencies that leads to bad laws and worse governance.

This is nothing new, it happens every day at the state and federal level and no politician or party is immune. Congressman Boehner (sp) was grandstanding when he made the point because the Republicans have done the same thing. And that is the problem, everyone grandstands and blames each other and no one wants to get off their ideological asses and work to common ground.

Republicans haven't passed a bill that's going to cost taxpayers almost 1 trillion $s, the cost after all is said and done with this bill, in the dark, big difference between this a common bill, although I'd agree that common bills should be considered carefully to. Most financial experts agree this is going to be very harmful to the economy, and what's more what American taxpayers are really paying for in this are lots of extremely self serving liberal projects.

Guest JJBrickface

Its all good though because its not about results, its about making history.

Sarcasm^^^^^

Hours upon receiving the 1,000 + page document House members vote to pass it, it is at the present minute with the Senate.

How can an elected official vote for something without first knowing what he is voting for? This is Government out of control.........

It was said that it would take the average person 12 hours to read the whole document.

To be as fair as possible, it's not like the document was just plopped down and blindly voted on. There is a fairly lengthy subcommittee process, and the bill must make it out of subcommittee to make it to committee, and the bill must be favorably voted upon in committee to make it to the floor, etc. Needless to say, I'd wager the vast majority of Congress knew the vast majority of the ins-and-outs of the bill before voting on it.

Not to say that I don't completely despise the form of the stimulus bill that passed the House/Senate. Which I do. But I have to be as fair as possible.

Guest JJBrickface
Sounds like a tasty read if you are into Pork.

There is no doubt in my mind that if John McCain was elected President that this wasteful spending bill would not be passed.

There is no doubt in my mind that if John McCain was elected President that this wasteful spending bill would not be passed.

Bingo. He has spoken out against it on several occasions already and hasn't had a good thing to say about it.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Bingo. He has spoken out against it on several occasions already and hasn't had a good thing to say about it.

He wanted to freeze spending. Stop the deficit. But no. 2 trillion dollars later we arent any better than we were before, and we arent even sure its gonna work.

No clue on whether or not this thing is gonna work or not, but as far as not reading it. I have a feeling that's nothing unusual. The last bill that was anywhere near this scope that was pushed through this way that I remember was the Patriot act bill. People had similar complaints about that one.

No clue on whether or not this thing is gonna work or not, but as far as not reading it. I have a feeling that's nothing unusual. The last bill that was anywhere near this scope that was pushed through this way that I remember was the Patriot act bill. People had similar complaints about that one.

Exactly right, this is not a DEMOCRAT VS REPUBLICAN ISSUE, the magnitude of the Patriot Act and the magnitude of this so called Stimulus package deserves more oversight and should be discussed for a least a few weeks on the house and senate floors.

I can assure you that if you sat down and talked directly with everyone that voted for this package that 99% of them would not be able to tell you what 98% of the bill included!

I have already emailed Boucher and asked him to clarify to me if he read the document.

I am sure that he will put a spin on his response, nonetheless, I dissaprove of this arrogant form of government.

Exactly right, this is not a DEMOCRAT VS REPUBLICAN ISSUE, the magnitude of the Patriot Act and the magnitude of this so called Stimulus package deserves more oversight and should be discussed for a least a few weeks on the house and senate floors.

I can assure you that if you sat down and talked directly with everyone that voted for this package that 99% of them would not be able to tell you what 98% of the bill included!

I have already emailed Boucher and asked him to clarify to me if he read the document.

I am sure that he will put a spin on his response, nonetheless, I dissaprove of this arrogant form of government.

See my response to the issue. I bet that's doubtful.

But I do agree that this is a partisan issue. Most definitely.

Saw this earlier, but forgot to post it... This ran as a full-page ad in the New York Times and several other news publications. If you go to http://www.cato.org you can see an extended list of more people who have signed this document. Of local interest, there is a professor from WVU who signed his name to it, also.

P.S. - I apologize for the size, I couldn't scale it down.

cato_stimulus.jpg

Very interesting document above.

I do agree that curbing government spending is ABSOLUTELY the ticket we need in these times. However, I equally disagree with the maxim that lower taxes will help stimulate economic revival. We pay taxes to the government, right? I find it incredibly counter-intuitive to state that giving less money to the government will help our government to reverse a deficit. We give more money, the government gets more; if we are taxed less, the government will receive but a fraction of what it gives back to us. Precisely why Reaganomics flopped like a lead balloon. But this could be also why both hardcore conservatives and hardcore liberals both cannot stand my fiscal policy. I'm tax-and save; neither tax-and-spend nor cut taxes-and-save.

An interesting take from Jack Cafferty: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/17/cafferty.stimulus/index.html

When CNN starts criticizing its own (Democrats), you know all is not well on the left.

An interesting take from Jack Cafferty: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/17/cafferty.stimulus/index.html

When CNN starts criticizing its own (Democrats), you know all is not well on the left.

excerpt from Cafferty article:

"When Reid first announced the compromise had been reached, Nancy Pelosi was nowhere to be seen. And it would take an act of God for this egotistical, arrogant woman to miss a photo op where she could take credit for anything. But she wasn't there."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Princess P"....not making a photo op.....oh,my!!!!

Heard this same discussion on MSNBC today on "morning joe"....in so many words, the "porkulus" that Congress agreed to.....is not "boding well" for the President. They were saying..... it's not Obama but the Senate that is "looking bad".

My reply to that ......Bush was blamed for "everything" and NO blame was directly laid at the feet of the Democratically controlled senate for the last 2 years. The Senate is even more "fatted" up since the election w/the Dems but all of a sudden the "mainstream" media is now gonna put blame at their feet because.......well, I guess ppl can fill in the blanks.

Not reading all of any Bill that is being sent through is ridiculous. This part of the job, make sure that I represent my people to the fullest should be their first thought. We know it's not exactly that way.

The bill will either help out the economy or push it further into the hole that it was already in. I commend the administration for doing what they think is right to boost this economy.

Education will see help from this bill.

-According to VEA 13,000 teacher's jobs will be saved.

-School repairs / building of new ones will not be halted.

excerpt from Cafferty article:

"When Reid first announced the compromise had been reached, Nancy Pelosi was nowhere to be seen. And it would take an act of God for this egotistical, arrogant woman to miss a photo op where she could take credit for anything. But she wasn't there."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Princess P"....not making a photo op.....oh,my!!!!

Heard this same discussion on MSNBC today on "morning joe"....in so many words, the "porkulus" that Congress agreed to.....is not "boding well" for the President. They were saying..... it's not Obama but the Senate that is "looking bad".

My reply to that ......Bush was blamed for "everything" and NO blame was directly laid at the feet of the Democratically controlled senate for the last 2 years. The Senate is even more "fatted" up since the election w/the Dems but all of a sudden the "mainstream" media is now gonna put blame at their feet because.......well, I guess ppl can fill in the blanks.

You're darn tootin' there's a ridiculous double standard here. Congress controls SO very much here, and ALWAYS has. Blame Bush AND Obama, or blame neither. It's so easy to see the liberal media bias if you read between the lines.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I commend the administration for doing what they think is right to boost this economy.

I seriously hope you are joking.

If you mean the administration, as in Obama, he didnt do what HE thought was right. He wanted 4 things in this bill:

A: 40% Tax cuts

B: 75% spending in 16 months

C: A bipartisan bill

D: A earmark/pork free bill

He recieved:

A: 23% Tax cuts

B: 53% Spending AFTER 2011

C: 3 GOP votes out of 200.

D. I shouldnt have to respond to this one.

In all seriousness, Obama had the chance to make it right. I had faith that he would have written a bill that would have met all the criteria listed above, and it would have recieved bipartisan support. Instead, he let Nancy Pelosi write it, and thats the whole problem with this bill.

Obama is being led, not leading.

i seriously hope you are joking.

If you mean the administration, as in obama, he didnt do what he thought was right. He wanted 4 things in this bill:

A: 40% tax cuts

b: 75% spending in 16 months

c: A bipartisan bill

d: A earmark/pork free bill

he recieved:

A: 23% tax cuts

b: 53% spending after 2011

c: 3 gop votes out of 200.

D. I shouldnt have to respond to this one.

In all seriousness, obama had the chance to make it right. I had faith that he would have written a bill that would have met all the criteria listed above, and it would have recieved bipartisan support. Instead, he let nancy pelosi write it, and thats the whole problem with this bill.

Obama is being led, not leading.

potd.

Not reading all of any Bill that is being sent through is ridiculous. This part of the job, make sure that I represent my people to the fullest should be their first thought. We know it's not exactly that way.

The bill will either help out the economy or push it further into the hole that it was already in. I commend the administration for doing what they think is right to boost this economy.

Education will see help from this bill.

-According to VEA 13,000 teacher's jobs will be saved.

-School repairs / building of new ones will not be halted.

The VEA may say that it will help, but they are amongst the most liberal organizations in America. Here in Buchanan County we are feeling the crunch, I hope that they are right, but something tells me that they aren't!

potd.

Amen!

Obama, is now realizing that he, as president, does not have as much control as he thought that he would, big money and the good ol' boys club still runs Washington.

still waiting on POSITIVE change!