Gang Hoax

fieldgeneral

I'm surprised I've not seen it on here. It seems like everyone I run into has either heard about it or recieved the BS text that was ciruculated.

For those not knowing what the heck I'm talking about:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29782688/

apparently some people were spreading a text of gang inititations taking placed at a walmart near you. I heard anywhere from Radford to Bluefield, but anyway apparently it was a little bit of everywhere. Anyone else hear different stuff?

I heard there was a shooting last week sometime in Richlands and some lady got grazed by a bullet. But I don't know how true it is. haha

There was a shooting down here last week but no one was hurt don't even think anyone got hit.

It was all a hoax. Pretty hilarious, if I do say so myself. To get millions of people worked up over nothing haha

I find nothing hilarious about it..... That's whats wrong with this world today. Every one takes everything to be a joke... You get older and have your own kids, let see how funny shit like this is to ya....

Edited by Bulldogs52

I find nothing hilarious about it..... That's whats wrong with this world today. Every one takes everything to be a joke... You get older and have your own kids, let see how funny shit like this is to ya....

Thanks, Dad! LOL

It was all a hoax. Pretty hilarious, if I do say so myself. To get millions of people worked up over nothing haha

Nothing funny about it. It's pretty sad when people turn to this as entertainment. I know people who put off doing some things because of it. Granted I didn't because i thought it was BS, but nevertheless.

You can call me dad or preacher or whatever, but this was no different than a bomb threat or any other threat on people's lives. When you find that funny, most of us find something wrong or not grown up about that person. Maybe when I was 15, I might find a small bit of humor in it, but we are all stupid at that age.

Who ever did it, needs their butt busted and cell phones removed.

I once knew a kid who "pretended" that he was in the Bloods. Talked the tough talk.

When he was sent to RJJ, he tried to play this tough little act. 10 days later, he woke up with brain damage.

Absolutely NOTHING funny about that ignorance, and it gets people killed for the stupidest of reasons.

I think what many of us are laughing about on here is that people thinking that they are in the "bloods" in Bluefield. I mean come on get real! and the even more funny thing about it is that most of the kids in the gang are white. My son goes to Graham and says that there is a group that think they're bloods. I just wish we could send them to new york or california or whereever the damn bloods are and see how long they last.

I think what many of us are laughing about on here is that people thinking that they are in the "bloods" in Bluefield. I mean come on get real! and the even more funny thing about it is that most of the kids in the gang are white. My son goes to Graham and says that there is a group that think they're bloods. I just wish we could send them to new york or california or whereever the damn bloods are and see how long they last.

Now lets take some time to think why people get involved in gangs, whether they be part of large group with national membership, or they are 'wanna-bes'. does not really matter. Gangs thrive on providing a sense of brotherhood and belonging that we all crave. Most of us get this from our families and groups that have positive values (church groups, sports teams, community organizations etc.)

Those who have been less fortunate, look for those things where they can find them. Gangs are one of those places. Whether it be a street gang, outlaw motorcycle gang, 'wanna-be' gangsters, political extremists groups, or cults these groups have great appeal. I will not go into the whole sociological research on this, but will just leave you to remember that the two human needs that rank highest after basic survival are; love and belonging.

Are there gangs in our area? Maybe not Crips or Bloods or some of the more infamous ones, but if there are groups copying their behaviors and actions, and young people are buying in then we do have a gang problem, and need to act like it is real.

Personally, I know the town I grew up in had a group of youths who were doing unusual things, and no one payed them any mind until that got in a car and headed to FL and ended up committing murders both there and LA. Did they have a problem??

Bluefield is lucky they don't have the gang problems that many other places do, but at the same time you cannot take any of these instances lightly. It could very easily snowball into something greater over time.

On a side note, a knowledgable source on this topic told me a few years ago that Bluefield, WV was known as the drug capital of the east coast. It essentially has/had more drugs in relation to its size than any other city on the east coast, NYC included. It makes sense if you think about it because Bluefield is definitely a half-way point along the coast and transactions could be made a little more feasibly.

Does anyone watch "Gang Land" on the History Channel? It's one of my favorites.

some kids tried to start a gang here at twin valley not long ago... they had a member who was over 18 outside of school (which i find even more sad than the children in the gang) who bought them snuff and cigarettes which they sold in the high school.. they put the snuff in lil sandwich bags (similar to packaging used by real dealers with cocaine and marijuana) rather than selling it by the full can.. and sold the cigarettes individually... it resulted in one child being expelled from school after a death threat.. il admit that i thought this was funny.. but it turned out to be a bit worse than i thought...

In regards to Hacker, and hokie07. Yes Hacker - kids to get into gangs because of the things you listed... and yes hokie07 - Mercer Co (not just Bluefield/Princeton) does have a drug and gang problem. (NOTE: a gang is any group of people that portray a certain set of actions or behaviors... it's not just bloods and crips)

I posted a message several months ago about a 4 week informational session that was going to be at the Princeton teen center (Planet Xtreme). The purpose of these sessions was to get educated about the youth in Mercer Co in regards to alcohol, drugs, premarital sex, teen pregnancy, and gangs. Then, come up with programs and activities that would give alternative options.

The statistics were staggering for Mercer Co (per capita). What was just as bothersome was the number of people that showed up.... errrrr -- maybe I should say didn't show up. There was a total of about 9 different people that showed up over the 4 week span... but there was usually 5 at each meeting. I think me and one other from my church was the only ones that were there every time.

What's worse...... the kids going around selling drugs, getting pregnant, and acting like gang thugs, or the community that just sits around on their thumbs... looking to the sky and saying "Lord, I wish YOU would do something about these issues".... when the truth is - he has empowering you all along to do it.

Edited by total

See my post, just above yours.

These thug wannabes wouldn't last 3 hours on the streets of LA.

I grew up in a gang neighborhood and went to a high school with 34 rival gangs. Have fun at your safe haven of Tazewell, Virginia where you don't have to be scared to go to school everyday. I don't need to have kids to know what it's like to be scared for lives, mostly my own. I've had to crawl, duck, hide, and run to get away from stuff this prank was hinted at, however, it was the real deal. I've seen gang activity you haven't even seen in the movies, so suck it.

I find this whole deal to be hilarious because it fooled millions of people, that's why. Is it funny that gang shootings were hinted at? No. However, the fact that someone accomplished a prank on what I know to be people all the way from south Florida to Keyser, WV is pretty impressive.

I grew up in a gang neighborhood and went to a high school with 34 rival gangs. Have fun at your safe haven of Tazewell, Virginia where you don't have to be scared to go to school everyday. I don't need to have kids to know what it's like to be scared for lives, mostly my own. I've had to crawl, duck, hide, and run to get away from stuff this prank was hinted at, however, it was the real deal. I've seen gang activity you haven't even seen in the movies, so suck it.

I find this whole deal to be hilarious because it fooled millions of people, that's why. Is it funny that gang shootings were hinted at? No. However, the fact that someone accomplished a prank on what I know to be people all the way from south Florida to Keyser, WV is pretty impressive.

Not my battle, but I will say this.......SUCK IT? really? that's pretty ummmmm weird. I called someone a douche one time and recieved a 7 day ban that was lifted the next day. I assume you will be getting a message similar to that, but usually it's only if you offend the right person. Anyway, it doesn't matter that you experienced it and blah blah blah, finding it funny is ridiculous. It's funny that some people actually believed the message from little kids to grandmothers? I've actually heard people alter their plans because of it. I know it seems stupid that people took it that seriouisly, but to say it was funny was inconsiderate to them. If you grew up in that type of a neighborhood in Fl, then you of all should be pissed that people did this. Why would you want that fear put in children and elderly people? I have family near a highly populated gang area of Florida and witnessed a swat truck and tons of police sweep in an area and make a huge bust one time there. There isn't anything impressive about it, it's like sending a nationwide threat, it's no different that the bomb threat that I mentioned above.

Where I work gang activity, is involved everyday... So I don't need you preaching to me.... Btw grow something if ya want me to suck it because I don't mess with baby food.....

Once again, if you're involved with gang activity in this area, you're very lucky. You have no idea how things truly are until you are affected by it everyday of your life. Friends shot, family members shot at, not to mention myself having to run from shots being fired while playing basketball.

The people I had to deal with weren't these little punk kids you see around this area all the time, however as Hokie said, the authorities of Mercer and Tazewell county need to take care of this issue. I grew up in Palm Beach County, Florida and up until just a few years ago, the authorities there denied there was a gang problem. I don't know what it took to finally get them involved but now there are videos, cd's, even big time music groups from that area ALL with 100% gang affiliation.

Here's the problem I was talking about.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/news/interactives/gangmap.html

Furthermore, the part of this hoax I found funny was the accomplishment in fooling so many. It wasn't funny in the manner at which it came about, but the fact that so many were fooled IS funny. I play a lot of jokes myself and anyone who knows me is aware that I like to look for the positive and bright side of things, especially after growing up in the situation I have, which leads to me thinking this is funny.

calm down tupac.. no body questioned your street cred.. lol.. so why are you telling everyone to suck it..

Actually no, it's isn't funny. If you hear a report of a shooting, or murder, or any other type of crime, you tend to believe it, or at least, especially when it comes to your children, err on the side of caution. Funny would be a practical joke. This wasn't a joke at all. It was just a series of false reports that are no different than a bomb threat. If someone made a bomb threat to a school causing an evacuation, police and emergency personal scrambled to the location, etc., would you laugh?

You said something in your post about "big time music groups" with gang affiliations... THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!! People celebrate gang culture through music, TV, and movies. That's why we have "these little punk kids". They are emulating something that culture has glamorized. And parents are allowing it to happen without even knowing it. We need to get back to parents being parents, kids being kids, and parents administering discipline to their kids. When I was growing up it took either of two words to make me behave. "Belt" and "Switch". I bet their are a bunch of people here who know exactly what those words mean... and a bunch more who have no clue.

If you live in a metro area anywhere in the U.S., you'll have legit gangs. Most of the "diehards" are concentrated in areas that are conducive for their activities. Atlanta is certainly ranked "up there" in that.....there are 3 major interstates running through the city, I-85, I-75 and I-20 that enhance their locations.

Now, that being said, I've lived here over 20 yrs. and feel fairly safe. Most of this "type" of crime is "gang on gang" activity....but it does occasionally spill into everyday life.

Heck, you're probably in more danger on the interstates w/all the "speedsters" than any gangsta.

I'm posting the following link for anyone who wishes to read (this is an "eye opening" link......... "gang life and trying to get out"......it is "graphic" .....so be warned.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/10/23/atlanta_gang_arrests.html%3Fcxntlid%3Dinform_artr

Edited by trublue