Grundy to go Single A in 2010

GrundyWinsAll

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they might be coming to the ole Black Diamond district.

yea and you all best watch out when Grundy comes in there because i cant lie theyre going to be a good single A school in the next few years. We played them this year and they were alright they just dont have the confidence to win yet but it will come. They have some alright players all its going to take is a coach that will get all 11 of them to work hard every play. Because thats what killed them the most was taking plays off so much but when they played hard and gave it all on some plays they were pretty tough. But i wish them luck in whatever they do...Corner #1

only thing that will affect them coming to the BDD is there wrestling program.....i do not think there is a school in the BDD that has a wrestling program...so wonder what they will do there....but they should be able to compete in football because of the youth leagues that they have and i am really not sure how they will do in basketball....

Edited by longhornpanther

say goodbye to all the games you guys have enjoyed watching over the years with the SWD teams...Grundy will be lucky to get a full schedule after everyone drops them...with points being what they are for the playoffs...whos going to want to play grundy at A level?

Plus this is a mid cycle move down...should have just waited until 2011 and went down when they do alignment.

I think the full schedule arguement is crap. They will have to get new rivalries yes, but as for not being able to find someone to play, bull. I know the AA teams will not want to play them. However, there are many more single a teams west of Roanoke than AA. The only problem is someone has to open a book and call some people to set up a new schedule instead of just keeping what they had last year.

only thing that will affect them coming to the BDD is there wrestling program.....i do not think there is a school in the BDD that has a wrestling program...so wonder what they will do there....but they should be able to compete in football because of the youth leagues that they have and i am really not sure how they will do in basketball....

I was wondering the same thing. Didn't they want to be in the LPD a couple years ago so that they could still wrestle? Maybe they'll get one of those weird exceptions where they wrestle as a part of another district unless the BDD is going to use this as an opportunity to build it's district's wrestling program. Which wouldn't be a bad idea if the schools can fund it, wrestling is a great sport. But Grundy would likely own it for two comfortable decades.

It's best for any of us around here anymore...

Yep! Now if the rest of the "AA" schools in SWVA would just follow suit and play in their appropriate class...<cough, cough>Graham<cough, cough>Tazewell<cough, cough>...the administrators need to suck it up and do what's right for the kids...

"I heard the school board voted and Grundy will be single a in 2010."

Grundy can APPLY in 2010, but can't go to A until Fall, 2011.

I'm sorry, but a statement that says "I heard" AND has incorrect info in it makes me wonder, because somebody's wrong somewhere.

longhornpanther... Wrestling won't be affected. They won't be the 1st BDD school to have a wrestling program. Ask your coach if you want more info.

Again, sorry, but "the full schedule arguement" isn't crap. They've had a very hard time getting a full sched. with just 4 avails. Does Matewan, Oak Hill or Morgan Co. appear on anyone else's sched? Contrary to some views, the points we give up won't be that big of a deal. 2 wins as AA basically counts the same as 5 wins as A. But why would teams like Carroll or Marion keep us when they have good or better teams closer that will also draw a bigger gate?

All that aside, IT'S ABOUT TIME !!!!!! (if it happens... remember, the school board isn't who applies.)

I was wondering the same thing. Didn't they want to be in the LPD a couple years ago so that they could still wrestle? Maybe they'll get one of those weird exceptions where they wrestle as a part of another district unless the BDD is going to use this as an opportunity to build it's district's wrestling program. Which wouldn't be a bad idea if the schools can fund it, wrestling is a great sport. But Grundy would likely own it for two comfortable decades.

I know LPD and Cumberland teams all compeated as LPD teams in wresling at one time (that may still be the case) I am sure eaither district would be more than happy to have Grundy Wresling in there district

As far as putting together a schedule I am sure that would depend on the sport but I do not think filling in the 2 games that they will lose should be that tough (unless they have to redo there schedules mid cycle which will be next to impossable

They will be able to fiil a schedule easy. I dont see how they think they cannot get games. They will have 4 in the BDD and im sure some of the LPD and anc cumberland teams will play them. Im sure Matewan will keep playing them. They used to go to KY and schedule all those teams anyway. I remember them playing Paintsville, Shelby Valley, East Ridge. Thats a bunch of crap saying they cannot find games if they went Single A. I dont understand that they wanted to join the LPD but refused to join the BDD. I guess the BDD is not good enough for them or dont draw enough gate money. I really dont know how many games they could win in the BDD right now. TV and Hurley would be good competitive games for Grundy.

"I heard the school board voted and Grundy will be single a in 2010."

Grundy can APPLY in 2010, but can't go to A until Fall, 2011.

I'm sorry, but a statement that says "I heard" AND has incorrect info in it makes me wonder, because somebody's wrong somewhere.

longhornpanther... Wrestling won't be affected. They won't be the 1st BDD school to have a wrestling program. Ask your coach if you want more info.

Again, sorry, but "the full schedule arguement" isn't crap. They've had a very hard time getting a full sched. with just 4 avails. Does Matewan, Oak Hill or Morgan Co. appear on anyone else's sched? Contrary to some views, the points we give up won't be that big of a deal. 2 wins as AA basically counts the same as 5 wins as A. But why would teams like Carroll or Marion keep us when they have good or better teams closer that will also draw a bigger gate?

All that aside, IT'S ABOUT TIME !!!!!! (if it happens... remember, the school board isn't who applies.)

Grundy won't have to "apply" to go to Class A...they are Class A but "apply" to play Class AA...

Grundy won't have to "apply" to go to Class A...they are Class A but "apply" to play Class AA...

True but I THINK that if they enter the 2009 sports year as a AA team they are commited to remaining there till 2011 when the VHSL does there break down again

Now it could be that Grundy has desided to pull there applacation to play up but if that were the case they would be A for 2009 which I do not think is the case (and would be next to impossable to schedule for this short term)

no, the schedule issue is not "crap"...its a fact...year in and year out Grundy has problems getting a full schedule...this will make it harder to do so because I'm sure at least some of the SWD teams will now drop them..they usually have trouble filling at least 3 games...expect that to go to at least 5 or 6 now. Even Graham has problems...playing Bluefield twice ring any bells? or have we forgotten?

Bottom line is this is a stupid move and Grundy and all the rest should have gone down at the same time...drop out now and you have thrown years of SWD tradition down the drain...you would think the wrestling program out of anyone would like to see that stay intact...but i guess it doesnt really matter if you are just wanting to fill the hole on the bottom of the sign at the edge of town...I don't see them doing any better at A level than at AA? Does this give Grundy a better chance at winning state at A level? I just don't understand why there is a big rush to get to single A I guess? From what I can tell, Grundy, Tazewell, Richalnds, Graham would all be together in realignment.

Why try to do a mid cycle move?

say goodbye to all the games you guys have enjoyed watching over the years with the SWD teams...Grundy will be lucky to get a full schedule after everyone drops them...with points being what they are for the playoffs...whos going to want to play grundy at A level?

Plus this is a mid cycle move down...should have just waited until 2011 and went down when they do alignment.

Your right on here. SWD Carroll County dropped long time rival Floyd due to the point system. Grundy will be playing region D teams and I bet they will have to play some out of state teams as well to fill the schedule up.

Lance and any of the other "traditionalists",

First, The schedule thing is crap. The problem is it is easier to say I can't find someone than it is to look. In single A you will have more teams to choose from.( the teams they wouldn't play before) Second, the Golden Wave has not been competitive in the SWD in many years. It is easy to say I want it like it was when I was in school, but times change and enrollments decline. The days of the "Million Dollar Coalfields" are over and even John Norris is moved away. When you were in school Grundy could compete and now they don't. Third, The wrestling team will do fine. The problem I have is it should of happened around 10 years sooner. Fourth, realignment will not happen. Too many AAA schools make too much money.

Now as for your questions, We do want to fill the "hole at the bottom of the sign". We will do better in Single A vs AA as we will be competeing with teams of comparable enrollments. 400 vs 200-800 is much more "fair" than 400 vs 800-2000. The rush to Single A is due to the fact the Children of buchanan county deserve to compete on a equal playing field instead of starting out between a 2 and 5 times underdog. The sooner we correct this injustice that is affecting our kids the better. We do not control the rest of the district teams. I think they should follow suit and all be single A.

Castlewood wrestles in the LPD, so it's not a big deal that the BDD teams don't have wrestling.