Grundy to go Single A in 2010

GrundyWinsAll

how many teams are in the BDD? I know the MED lost Pocahontas. They could use another team and they are kind of spread out anyway.

Haysi, Honaker, Twin Valley, Hurley, and Council

MED

Narrows, Grayson, Galax, Fort Chiswell, Bland

I couldn't imagine the haul from Grundy to Grayson or Galax being a fun one, they'll probably stick to the BDD.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haysi, Honaker, Twin Valley, Hurley, and Council

MED

Narrows, Grayson, Galax, Fort Chiswell, Bland

I couldn't imagine the haul from Grundy to Grayson or Galax being a fun one, they'll probably stick to the BDD.

No the trip down to Grundy and back isn't a fun one.

Lance and any of the other "traditionalists",

First, The schedule thing is crap. The problem is it is easier to say I can't find someone than it is to look. In single A you will have more teams to choose from.( the teams they wouldn't play before) Second, the Golden Wave has not been competitive in the SWD in many years. It is easy to say I want it like it was when I was in school, but times change and enrollments decline. The days of the "Million Dollar Coalfields" are over and even John Norris is moved away. When you were in school Grundy could compete and now they don't. Third, The wrestling team will do fine. The problem I have is it should of happened around 10 years sooner. Fourth, realignment will not happen. Too many AAA schools make too much money.

Now as for your questions, We do want to fill the "hole at the bottom of the sign". We will do better in Single A vs AA as we will be competeing with teams of comparable enrollments. 400 vs 200-800 is much more "fair" than 400 vs 800-2000. The rush to Single A is due to the fact the Children of buchanan county deserve to compete on a equal playing field instead of starting out between a 2 and 5 times underdog. The sooner we correct this injustice that is affecting our kids the better. We do not control the rest of the district teams. I think they should follow suit and all be single A.

man you know i respect your opinion, and my question was an honest one...but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the schedule thing...I don't think it is a lack of them trying to put out the effort to find a game when needed, no one wants to play Grundy because they dont want to make the trip and the past 4 years the AA teams know that Grundy is not going to carry any points.

I just think it would have been better to wait and move the teams together, and maybe that wouldn't happen either who knows...but I don't think the move in mid cycle is the right way to do it and I think that a program without "tradition" is a shame...and Grundy had deep roots in the SWD...if the core moved down together it would have been nice to see it stay intact...that's all I'm saying.

As for the wrestling program...I have nothing but the best wishes for them...would LOVE to see state titles year in and year out...I just don't think you will see a great increase in results by going to single A...think about it and you of all people know that part of the great story in the state titles is that Grundy went out and beat the teams they were not supposed to beat...they were the 2 to 5 time underdog...they flew all over the country and beat everyones ass big and small...that is what made those state titles special...at least to me anyway. Nothing but respect for the wrestling program and the people who built it.

I dont see why its going to matter at all for wrestling...If you wrestle 103, both kids weigh 103 whether its A or AA....Its still 1 on 1, same weights no matter what class....better kid wins no matter how many people are in his school...

Tradition is in the past. New rivalries will form. Because we are in the BDD it doesn't take away from the old rivalries. As for the Schedule goes, I think they should have been playing the single A teams in the area all along. They are there and available. The problem comes when egos come into play. As for the wrestling, we still go out and beat some of the teams that we are 2 to 5 times underdogs. The differance is then we came back to a level playing field after the "training" against the top wrestlers in the country. In the past we didn't always win. Although, like with most Dynasties, the losses are forgotten after the Championship comes in. Now as for how this effects wrestling. In wrestling they have 14 weights. In single a most teams have about 10-20 wrestlers, most AA teams have 25-50 and most AAA have 40-80. Like in any sport the higher gene pool you have to choose from the higher the number of athletes. Instead of not having a 103 in a single A school, a triple a school may have 5. I hope you understand the effect. Finally, do you want to know how this group will do in Single A? I will tell you Everyone who qualified for state this year will be competeing for a title. 9 State finalists will be hard to beat.

Edited by GrundyWinsAll

Whether you have 5 or 1, when they step on the mat it is completely even in wrestling no matter what class the school is. They both weigh the exact same. It is 1 on 1. The other 4 103 lbs. wrestlers that the AAA school has cant do anything because only 1 is allowed on the mat.

People put way too much into enrollment. It matters in some cases yes, but if it was the deciding factor, AAA schools would never lose to AA schools in anything....AA schools would never lose to A schools in anything....

Let me try to explain this one more time. You are right about it is 1 on 1. However, instead of having one wrestler who has no wrestle-off, no workout partners, and no in room competition the bigger schools have multiple wrestleoffs per weight, 4 to 5 partners in the room, and a lot of competition. Grundy is making putting out some good wrestlers. If they had been single A, (where they have belonged for years), many multiple time state champs instead of state place winners. Lets apply this to B-Ball. How many kids can Dunk the ball on our team vs some of the AAA teams? How many are over 6'4? Lets apply this to football. How many kids run 4.4 40 times? These are all related to the enrollment. I will put it out like this, in high school you have 50% girls. Of the 50% of the males You have over half who are geeks, dweebs, and not athletic. Now you have 20% of your schools enrollment to come up with a team. In Grundy's case this is about 80 kids. This takes care of all sports. Now lets look at Faquier. 2000 students, 1000 males, 400 Athletes. This is the point of dropping. There are some sports that do not get far enough at the state level to compete against the bigger schools, but this is fair to everyone.

In basketball, you have to put 5 out on the floor to compete with the other teams best 5. Enrollment plays a part because with greater numbers the other team has a better chance to have bigger, stronger, faster kids because they have more to choose from.

Football is the same way, except with 11 kids....

Wrestling, while your wrestling room may not be full kids 4 and 5 deep at every weight, is set up so the competition is EQUAL. They do not say in basketball that your center cannot be over 6'3 and your point guard must be 6'0 or under. In football they do not say that your QB must be no more than 6'3. Your WR cannot be over 6'4 and run faster than 4.5 in the 40. Wrestling says that if you are to compete at a certain weight class, everybody you compete against has to be the same weight! That makes everybody equal, size wize, in that weight class and allows the best kid to win because his skills are better than anybody elses in that equal weight class. There is no blaming numbers in wrestling. Its 1 on 1 with people that are the same weight as you. You are either better than the rest or you arent. People need to worry about being better than the rest, instead of worrying about how many kids the other school has. There is only 1 from each on the mat at a time.....

Does not having 4 people to wrestle off and compete against in the wrestling room hurt them? Probably. Should it keep them from working their hardest to become the best wrestler they can be? No....Life isnt fair, or equal. Sometimes you are going to be behind the 8ball so to speak and have things go against you. That doesnt mean you tuck tail and run away. Grundy has been rising to the challenge for years now, some groups better than others, and enrollment problems are MUCH more evident sports such as Bball and football. Wrestling leaves it up to the kids and if they win or lose the kid only faced people that are equal to him. Its up to them to develop their skill and nobody else on their team can hold them back from an individual title.

The majority of my closest friends were wrestlers and I have absolutley nothing against the GWC or anybody involved. I just think wrestling sets it up so that everybody is on an equal level when they step on the mat and its up to the kid and coaches to make sure the intangibles are better than everyone else regardless of size of school.

Edited by Grundy10

Your arguement would be partially true if there was only 1 weight class. In wrestling we have 14 weights. We can't always put our best 14 wrestlers out because sometimes 2 are at the same weight. Have you noticed Grundy Forfiet a weight class in the last few years? I will say it is harder to field a westling team with low enrollment than either of the other two sports. As for the wrestlers, it doesn't matter to them if they are wrestling 6A they will work hard(harder than any other sport 10 fold) and do their best. A sport is a sport. Athletes matter in all of them. You are foolish to think otherwise.

How will moving to A help Grundy fill the empty weight classes? Is it a reach to suspect that some schools with much larger enrollments than Grundy still fail to field a full team?

Edited by Grundy10

Lets apply this to football. How many kids run 4.4 40 times? .

1 - Garon Marcum...and Plymal still didn't have enough sense to give him the ball...AA or A doesn't make any difference in that case if you don't know how to use the talent you do have...much less if you have more to choose from.

anyway...back to the point...I still see them having a problem with the schedule in football...but, as far as wrestling goes...how will that work out? Will they put Grundy in a different district for wrestling or will they be in the BDD or wherever they end up in football?

Does this have any other positive effects on the other sports like baseball and track or will this cause those programs to downsize? I guess twin valley has a track and baseball program...what about the other schools? Do they all have all or most of the other sports that Grundy has? I don't really follow the A level stuff very much if it's not football or basketball related ...so excuse me if that is a stupid question...just trying to figure out what else will be going on here.

Walmarts will not come to Grundy if they drop to 'A".

they won't come to Grundy anyway...but they will come to Abingdon!

but, thats another story...lol.

Does this have any other positive effects on the other sports like baseball and track or will this cause those programs to downsize? I guess twin valley has a track and baseball program...what about the other schools? Do they all have all or most of the other sports that Grundy has? I don't really follow the A level stuff very much if it's not football or basketball related ...so excuse me if that is a stupid question...just trying to figure out what else will be going on here.

All have Basketball Track Cross Country Baseball Softball and with the exception of Counsel Football.

As far as helping the other sports they should be competitive in most sports IMHO Cross Country girls Basketball and Baseball should see the biggest short term improvement.

Football is a different story....while they should pick up district wins over Hurley and TV I do not think Grundy will be in the running for a playoff spot.

As far as filling there schedule I do not think that will be a problem however filling it with teams that will pack the visitors side of the bleachers may be Grundy will have to become at least a 5-5 team (Haysi and Honaker will both travel well and given the closeness of the game Hurley and TV may not be horrible) however I do not think that they will be able to get anyone like Richlands until they rebuild there program

Id say nobody at Grundy has ran a 4.4 40 time since Cary Perkins or Craig Plymal himself!

Plymal and Perkins were not as fast as Garon Marcum...Marcum has a laser timed 4.5 at the US Army All American Combine in Akron Ohio...he also ran a 4.5 at the Ga Tech Nike Camp that same year...and was at 205 pounds when he did it...I was at both and saw them myself, I have video of the US Army combine runs....but that's old news at this point...just saying. I played ball with Cary from the time I was in 4th grade...he was an exceptional kid with a great story because of how he handled his disability and was able to overcome that to play ball as well as he did...but he didn't really "explode" until his Jr. year in the Tazewell game on Halloween night...season was all but over with at that point...he had a great Sr. year and that combined with his personal story is where the lore and legend about him comes from...and that's about it...Plymal was fast and he might have had hand timed 4.5's but i doubt he could have done it laser timed...he was older than I was but I watched him play growing up and my uncle was his little league coach...so I knew about him early on...my uncle always talked about how fast he was as a kid and how he thought he would be able to play college ball someday...that sort of stuff.

Not to go off topic, but ..again...just saying.

So...does it look like the BDD is where they will stick Grundy if they do go to A level?

I do not know where you are going with this. I was justifying the single A drop with the number of athletes we have at Grundy. You have Identified 3 people over your lifetime who could run fast. In the higher population areas, teams have 3 on their team every year. Last year when the A.D. had agreed on single A, the LPD said they did not want Grundy and the BDD said come on in. The LPD move seems a little moronic with the drive, but I do not understand the way some of those people think. I know the LPD has more sports. I assumed it would work in other sports like it will work in wrestling. 1 of 2 possibilities. 1. Team in a district without any other schools with the sport becomes District Champion and advances to Region. 2. Team joins another district tournament for the sport. I think in Wrestling most schools will want Grundy in the first possibility. The wrestlers will go into the Region as a #1 seed. Another possibility would be all Grundy Wrestlers going in as 4 seeds, but then the top wrestlers would have Grundy kids first round and I do not think their coaches will allow this. Which is why I think they will go to Region as District champs.

I agree they should go to Single A, they should have went down 3 years ago. I also believe that Graham should go down. Their sports other than football have suffered a long time. Since Lee and Va High play down, Richlands and Tazewell should go single A as well.