Braves

bogeavs

Anyone watch the Braves last night? Wow. Derrick Lowe was nearly unhittable and except for the beginning of the 9th, the Braves nearly shutout the reigning world champs. They tore Brett Myers up and if the lineup can keep hitting like they did, not necessarily homeruns, this could be a resurrection year for the Braves. With a good mixture of old talent (Chipper, Anderson) and a whole slew of young guns, this could be a great year for the Braves. I am interested in seeing what the rest of the rotation can do, because besides Lowe and Jergins (sp?), I don't really know what they have. Looking forward to a good year of baseball from the whole league.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watch the Braves last night? Wow. Derrick Lowe was nearly unhittable and except for the beginning of the 9th, the Braves nearly shutout the reigning world champs. They tore Brett Myers up and if the lineup can keep hitting like they did, not necessarily homeruns, this could be a resurrection year for the Braves. With a good mixture of old talent (Chipper, Anderson) and a whole slew of young guns, this could be a great year for the Braves. I am interested in seeing what the rest of the rotation can do, because besides Lowe and Jergins (sp?), I don't really know what they have. Looking forward to a good year of baseball from the whole league.

I love baseball, just hate the things that has happened to the sport.....the strike and then steroids....it's just been different.

Anyway, I love the Braves, I hope this is the resurrection year for them, however, I want to see what happens with the pitching. Lowe was great last night, but not sure about the other 4 in the rotation. I hope the Bravos show up and do well this year, it's been a lonely few years of baseball.

Yeah, you're exactly right. Adding to your comments, I'll say that I'm looking for Francoeur to bat about .280 this season as well. As far as the pitching staff goes, the other 3 are Javier Vazquez (don't know enough about him to make an intelligent statement), Kenshin Kawakami (had a pretty good spring), and Tom Glavine. Also, have you heard the name Tommy Hanson? He's the braves stud pitcher waiting in the wings to take the place of Glavine. Mark Bradley wrote in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he sees the Braves having an 89-win season and a wild card spot in the playoffs. I'll second that prediction.

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/04/05/braves_chipper_jones.html

excerpt:

"It is but a glorified closet, a phone booth with hangers, really. Baseball’s equivalent of Dilbert’s cubicle, it is Chipper’s locker.

But Chipper Jones has a new locker this year, moving around the clock face of the Braves’ circular clubhouse to the high-noon position so long homesteaded by John Smoltz.

Jones, a wizened 36 turning 37 later this month, wisecracked: “Well, it’s closer to the bathroom, and you know, as you get older you need that.â€

Yeah, you're exactly right. Adding to your comments, I'll say that I'm looking for Francoeur to bat about .280 this season as well. As far as the pitching staff goes, the other 3 are Javier Vazquez (don't know enough about him to make an intelligent statement), Kenshin Kawakami (had a pretty good spring), and Tom Glavine. Also, have you heard the name Tommy Hanson? He's the braves stud pitcher waiting in the wings to take the place of Glavine. Mark Bradley wrote in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he sees the Braves having an 89-win season and a wild card spot in the playoffs. I'll second that prediction.

Vazquez is FLAKY. I cringed when I heard Atlanta acquired him.

But I'm very excited over Kawakami. Lots of upside there.

And the old horse, Glavine. The only guy there who was there during the early glory days.

Mark my words, by the all-star break, Hanson will take Vazquez's spot in the rotation.

A great start to the season, two impressive games of hitting and pitching....(also,Tom Glavine threw six scoreless innings of two-hit ball in a simulated game Tuesday at Class AAA Gwinnett’s new ballpark.)

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/04/07/braves_phillies.html

excerpt:

“It’s important here, especially with the conditions the way they were,†said Jones, who doubled and scored on a Chase Utley error in the first inning, then homered to lead off the fifth.

“You’re somewhat warm when you come out of the clubhouse [to start the game], but you get stiffer and stiffer as it gets colder and colder. Getting a couple of runs was huge for J.J., but ultimately, he had to make the pitches.

“The kid’s good. He’s just flat-out good.â€

What would Chipper Jones' numbers look like without all these people on steroids?If he has not been partaking and i dont think he has, then his numbers during the sreroids era have been reduced.He will probably have over 500 homeruns and 1600 rbis and a lifetime average about 320!

Located in Gwinnett County (B-Mac and Frenchy played their high school ball at Duluth and Parkview, Gwinnett County HS teams) ......this new stadium (located directly off exit 115 on I-85, very close to Mall of GA, the largest in the southeast) is about 35 mins. drive (no traffic jams) to Turner Field. For call ups to the "bigs" a much shorter commute for the "lucky one".

photos are featured at bottom of the read in this link:

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=6&SubSectionID=84&ArticleID=58255

Think if he hasn't been injured as much as he has in the past few seasons. The same with Junior Griffey. These two guys have two of the prettiest swings in baseball, and without a doubt, Griffey would be the homerun king if not for all the injuries during his career. I don't think Chipper would be in the category, but one of the best all-around hitters, he is definitely in the discussion.

Wow. We blew a 10-3 lead today. I just saw the score, haven't looked at stats yet. Who gave up the runs??? Come on bullpen.

Philly had an 8 run 7th inning. Three walks by Braves pitching with the bases loaded.

"But the Phillies rallied against Atlanta's bullpen in the seventh. Eric O'Flaherty got one out before Chase Utley singled and Ryan Howard was hit by a pitch. Peter Moylan came in and walked Jayson Werth to load the bases. Ibanez and Pedro Feliz hit consecutive RBI singles to cut it to 10-5.

Then, three straight batters walked to force in runs. Moylan walked pinch-hitter Matt Stairs. Blaine Boyer (0-1) walked pinch-hitter Chris Coste and Jimmy Rollins. Jorge Campillo replaced Boyer and Shane Victorino singled in another run to get the Phillies to 10-9. Campillo then walked in Utley to force home the tying run.

Howard's slow grounder to first base brought in Rollins and gave the Phillies their first lead of the season, 11-10.

"This club, we never feel like we're out of a game," Ibanez said. "We certainly felt we can come back if we put good at-bats together."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=290408122

Edited by blueinbama

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/04/09/can-kenshin-be-the-linchpin-of-this-remade-rotation/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

excerpt:

"Putting aside the malpractice perpetrated by the firm of O’Flaherty, Moylan, Boyer and Campillo, the Braves got almost everything they wanted from the first series of 2009. They won two of three against the world champs. Lots of guys got significant hits. Best of all, their starting pitchers took their turns with flair."

Not sure they will get the game in tonight. We're under a tornado watch. A PDS (particularly dangerous situation) alert has been issued ....the local weatherman that's been around forever....said that's the first he ever remembers being issued for N. GA.