Boo Hoo-Bama Rolls Tech

Deleted Account

If Bama isn't the top SEC school, then I only see one who might be considered better than Bama at this juncture...and that would be Florida. I don't think you can dismiss a team that gained almost 500 yards on a very good VT defense. I know I'm being a homer here, .

You're definitely being a homer. Tech's defense stuffed Alabama until fatigue set in, which is a direct result of being on the field all night. If Tech had Florida's offense, they win by 3 tds or more....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're definitely being a homer. Tech's defense stuffed Alabama until fatigue set in, which is a direct result of being on the field all night. If Tech had Florida's offense, they win by 3 tds or more....
Oh, ok. If Tech had Florida's offense...I see. Do i get to pick another offense to go with Bama's defense? That's too funny. IF a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass. Be serious.

That means nothing.Alabama won the t.o.p. And had 350 more yards than tech. All you're pointing out is that tech wouldn't even be the second best team in the S.E.C.

& you all might as well quit using a tired defense as an excuse. Untill the offense can gain more than 150 yards in a game the defense better get used to playing 35 mins+.

498 yards total offense, yeah boy VT really stuffed them. This game was much like Tazewell/Gate City. VT scored on a kickoff return, Ala gave them great field position on another kickoff return aided by a penalty. Hard to believe VT even had the lead in the game when you look at the stats. Alabama is definitely the best in the SEC west and not far behind Fla. VT has a fine team as well, but will need to score more offensive TD's to make it back to a BCS bowl.

498 yards total offense, yeah boy VT really stuffed them. This game was much like Tazewell/Gate City. VT scored on a kickoff return, Ala gave them great field position on another kickoff return aided by a penalty. Hard to believe VT even had the lead in the game when you look at the stats. Alabama is definitely the best in the SEC west and not far behind Fla. VT has a fine team as well, but will need to score more offensive TD's to make it back to a BCS bowl.

Oh, ok. If Tech had Florida's offense...I see. Do i get to pick another offense to go with Bama's defense? That's too funny. IF a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass. Be serious.
BTW, Florida only scored 31against Bama's defense...you're still 3 pts. short.

You missed my point, which obviously wasn't delivered well.........

You said Alabama may be the best team in the SEC. I say you're wrong, and wrong by alot.

Va. Tech is no Florida, and they were ahead of your team going into the 4th quarter. If Tech had any offense whatsoever, Alabama would have lost Saturday night. My point is that Florida's offense will not leave their defense on the field all freaking night like Tech's did........Gators by at least 14

That means nothing.Alabama won the t.o.p. And had 350 more yards than tech. All you're pointing out is that tech wouldn't even be the second best team in the S.E.C.

& you all might as well quit using a tired defense as an excuse. Untill the offense can gain more than 150 yards in a game the defense better get used to playing 35 mins+.

I wouldn't argue with any of this....until Beamer gets rid of Stinespring Tech will never be a serious national contender.

However, your response to my post was unnecessary. I wasn't defending Va Tech.......

You said Alabama may be the best team in the SEC. I say you're wrong, and wrong by alot.

Va. Tech is no Florida, and they were ahead of your team going into the 4th quarter. If Tech had any offense whatsoever, Alabama would have lost Saturday night. My point is that Florida's offense will not leave their defense on the field all freaking night like Tech's did........Gators by at least 14

You misquoted me. Go back and read my post. I said IF Bama wasn't the best, I see only one team better at this juncture, and that's Florida. I'm convinced both Bama and Va. Tech will get better as the season progresses...I'm a fan of both teams. But to say Bama will be blown out by Florida at this point in the season is only your opinion. It didn't happen in the SECCG last season, and I don't think it will happen if they play again this season. But that's why they play the games on the field, not on a message board. And your comment that Va. Tech would have beaten Bama if they had had Florida's offense was hilarious. Were you really expecting me to take that seriously? This isn't fantasy football! Like I said, if a frog had wings...lol.
Edited by blueinbama

That is why they play 4 quarters.

But to say Bama will be blown out by Florida at this point in the season is only your opinion..
Ya think???????? duhhhhhhhhhhh

It didn't happen in the SECCG last season, and I don't think it will happen if they play again this season. .

They beat Bama by 11 last year and I say they"ll beat 'em by at least 3 more points this year. Your "i don't think it will happen" is "only your opinion"............

And your comment that Va. Tech would have beaten Bama if they had had Florida's offense was hilarious..

maybe to a toke taking bong sucker.....

Were you really expecting me to take that seriously?

Bama was trailing a team with no offense at the end of three quarters. If Tech had merely a top 50 offense (wouldn't have to be as good as Florida's), Tech would have won.......No defense can stay on the field all night and not eventually collapse.......If you find that funny, yahooooooo

Edited by parsons

It's been Beamer's philosophy to play solid defense, try to change to game with a special teams play, and do just enough on offense to win the game without turning the ball over. It won't change no matter who the coordinators are on either side of the ball. The only thing that needs to change is how to plan/execute the offensive game plan to go against these aggressive, super fast defenses. Maybe that will require a new person in the job, maybe not. I'm not a coach, so I can't answer that. Its no secrete that VT is not historically successful in the last 10-15 years getting an offensive game plan together that is consistently successful. When your team is as good on defense and special teams as VT has been in the last 10-15 years, you don't need to have a top 75 offense in the country to win most of your games. It would be great to see from a fans standpoint, but it's not how Beamer sees it. I'm not saying that the staff and players wouldn't love to have that high powered offense, but it's just not there whether it's the players or the system. They still have a chance to be a very good football team for the rest of year.

Alabama got a lot of their yards and points in the fourth quarter against a tired defense. Alabama was running plays to further exploit the weaknesses in Foster's tired unit and also its youth. Alabama in their last two scoring drives were picking on LB Jake Johnson, who was getting sucked inside just about every play instead of covering the RBs coming out of the backfield. He'll learn from it and get better as will the unit and the rest of the team.

VT still has a lot more games to play and an ACC championship to win and do it WITHOUT SEC officials. Those guys were terrible for both teams.

Edited by bhs7695

Parson's quote: "maybe to a toke taking bong sucker....."

I wouldn't know about that, but you're obviously experienced in the vernacular, so if anyone is taking a toke of anything, it's obviously you by your immature and ignorant comments. Try having an adult conversation without sounding like a 10 year old. I stated my opinion without being a degrading 4th grader, try being a little more mature and people might actually take you seriously. I could make the same excuse about Bama's defense in last season's SECCG in the fourth quarter when Florida took the lead, but I don't make excuses. Every team gets tired in the fourth quarter. Tech was tired because Bama controlled the line of scrimmage late and kept the ball. Time of posession is part of the game. Tech scored two td's because of their special teams play...I believe that's known as "Beamer Ball". I guess we're not supposed to give that any credibility either, according to your logic. Get a grip, Parson. You obviously are jealous of Bama's recent success, and you're hating on a team that has a chance to go to the National Championship game in 2009. For some reason, you can't stand the thought of that, so you have to find a way to trash talk. Who is your team, anyway? You can't be a Hokie fan...but if you are, you're a poor excuse for one. Give credit where credit is due. Bama played a dominating 4th quarter against a very good Tech defense, tired or not. If you play football, you have to play tired. It's the nature of the game. But I wouldn't expect you to know that. You obviously are just a mouthpiece who has never played a down of football, or you would know better than to sound so petty and bitter after a great Bama win. Almost everyone else on this board has taken the defeat graciously. Grow up and be a man. Bama's good...very good, and you are too biased against them to see it.

Edited by blueinbama

ATLANTA -- During the first two quarters of Saturday night's opener against No. 7 Virginia Tech, No. 5 Alabama still looked like the team that seemingly slept through its last game, a 31-17 loss to Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

In the first half of the Chick-fil-A College Kickoff Game in the Georgia Dome, the Crimson Tide made a month's worth of errors. They twice settled for field goals after driving inside Virginia Tech's 20-yard line. They allowed a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. They threw an interception at their 14-yard line. They allowed a 43-yard pass play on busted coverage, then committed personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the same play (which would have otherwise resulted in a 14-yard loss for the Hokies).

For good measure, the Crimson Tide missed a 36-yard field goal on their final play of the first half and limped to their locker room trailing the Hokies 17-16 at the half.

"We were not only punching them, but we were punching ourselves," Alabama coach Nick Saban said. "It's hard to win the fight with so many mistakes and so many errors."

In the end, Alabama beat the Hokies 34-24 because it had been through fights like this before. In 2008, Saban's second season at Alabama, the Crimson Tide climbed to No. 1 in the rankings by winning their first 12 games. But they lost to eventual BCS national champion Florida 31-20 in the SEC championship game, and then came the debacle against Utah.

"The biggest thing I was concerned about was if we'd be complacent after last year, with a lot of guys coming back," Saban said. "I wasn't sure if we'd have as much energy. We knew we'd have to earn it against these guys and we earned it."

Even if its opening performance didn't come close to being flawless, Alabama showed it's still the team to beat in the SEC West. And if No. 1 Florida is going to play for its third BCS national title in four seasons, the Gators might very well have to beat the Crimson Tide in Atlanta again.

"They've got the defense," Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said. "They've got veteran kickers. Their quarterback played well for them tonight. Their running back played well. They've got some great receivers. They've got it. We played one of the great teams in the country and just didn't play well enough to match them."

The only reason the Hokies matched Alabama for three quarters is because the Crimson Tide kept hurting themselves.

"It was the first game and we did make our share of mistakes," Saban said.

Saban had several reasons to be concerned heading into his team's opener. Alabama has a new starting quarterback, Greg McElroy, and a rebuilt offensive line. The Crimson Tide also endured a season's worth of distractions during the past few days. Starting defensive end Brandon Deaderick was shot during an attempted robbery Monday night. (Deaderick didn't start, but did take the field for a few plays.) Nose guard Terrence Cody was one of a handful of players who battled the flu this week.

Additionally, star receiver Julio Jones and tailback Mark Ingram weren't even cleared to play in the game until Thursday, after the NCAA investigated whether they received improper benefits during a Gulf Coast fishing trip this summer.

For most of three quarters, Alabama played like a distracted football team.

"It was self-inflicted wounds and mental mistakes," tight end Colin Peek said. "When you leave the door open for such a tremendous team, you know you've got to do something about it."

The Crimson Tide finally did something about it early in the fourth quarter. After taking possession at their 46-yard line with about 13 minutes to play, McElroy threw a 48-yard pass to diving sophomore Marquis Maze. Ingram ran for a 6-yard touchdown on the next play, and the Tide took a 24-17 lead on McElroy's two-point conversion pass to Peek.

On the ensuing kickoff, senior defensive back Chris Rogers stripped the football from Virginia Tech's Davon Morgan. Rogers recovered the fumble at Tech's 20-yard line, and Leigh Tiffin kicked a 20-yard field goal to make it 27-17.

"When you make a big play like that, it changes the entire complexion of the game," McElroy said.

Virginia Tech made it 27-24 on freshman Ryan Williams' 32-yard touchdown run with 9:22 to go, but then the Crimson Tide came right back. Ingram broke loose for a 39-yard run, then scored on an 18-yard pass from McElroy to make it 34-24.

McElroy was making his first start at quarterback, after playing sparingly behind departed starter John Parker Wilson the past two seasons. McElroy had grown accustomed to waiting at Southlake (Texas) Carroll High School, where he sat behind former Missouri star Chase Daniel.

Despite a less-than-spectacular first half, McElroy threw for 230 yards with one touchdown and one interception on 15-for-30 passing. At one point in the first half, he missed nine passes in a row. It wasn't his fault alone, though. McElroy didn't have much time to throw, playing behind Alabama's revamped offensive line. The Crimson Tide replaced three starters, including Outland Trophy winner Andre Smith, their left tackle last season. All-SEC center Antoine Caldwell also is gone.

But the offensive line led the charge in the second half, eventually wearing down the vaunted Hokies defense. Ingram ran for a career-high 150 yards on 26 carries. Roy Upchurch added 90 yards on seven runs, and the Tide finished with 268 rushing yards.

"I think we wore them down in the fourth quarter, which is part of the plan," Saban said.

For openers, Saban's plan couldn't have been scripted much better.

The Crimson Tide beat another nationally ranked team in the Georgia Dome, after blasting Clemson in the 2008 opener. Their new quarterback played with composure, and the offensive line played well when it mattered.

"We actually played better than the score is," Saban said. "We made a lot of mistakes, but we responded better to adversity than maybe we ever have."

I wouldn't know about that, but you're obviously experienced in the vernacular, so if anyone is taking a toke of anything, it's obviously you by your immature and ignorant comments..

Relax, Amigo, I doubt you’re a dope fiend. I just don’t think my comment was quite as “hilarious” as you found it to be

Try having an adult conversation without sounding like a 10 year old. I stated my opinion without being a degrading 4th grader, try being a little more mature and people might actually take you seriously.

Don’t play the maturity card. If any of us had an ounce of maturity we wouldn’t be posting on here.

For the record, I believe you were being degrading to me by saying that my comment was “hilarious” and asking if I meant to “be taken seriously”. Being the overly-sensitive soul that I am ( I cry at sad movies), I got my feelings hurt…………………………………….Not really

I could make the same excuse about Bama's defense in last season's SECCG in the fourth quarter when Florida took the lead, but I don't make excuses.

Who’s making excuses? I know Alabama has a better team than Va. Tech. I’m just not ready to elevate them to “maybe” the best team in the SEC based on their win over a one dimensional team.

you have to play tired. It's the nature of the game. But I wouldn't expect you to know that. You obviously are just a mouthpiece who has never played a down of football, or you would know better…….

I may be speaking above your head, but it’s commonly known in football circles that if a team’s offense is consistently going three and out, the team’s defense is going to tire. Tech’s offense has finished no higher than 99th in total offense the last 3 years and it’s obviously not going to finish any better this year. When they play a good team, and Alabama is a very good team, the lack of offense is going to fatigue the defense, which is what happened Saturday night.

Get a grip, Parson. You obviously are jealous of Bama's recent success, and you're hating on a team that has a chance to go to the National Championship game in 2009. For some reason, you can't stand the thought of that, so you have to find a way to trash talk.

Did I hurt your feelings by insinuating that Bama is not as good as Florida?? If that’s the case, then you may want to take your own advice and “grow up”, not that I’m recommending it……

Edited by parsons

that means nothing.alabama won the t.o.p. And had 350 more yards than tech. All you're pointing out is that tech wouldn't even be the second best team in the s.e.c.

b.i.n.g.o.

Possibly...the no-call on the 'bama pass interference when VT had the ball on 3rd and long early in the 4th Q. Had the zebras made the call (they called a very similar play against VT earlier in the game), it would have extended the drive a couple of more minutes. Instead VT's D was right back in the game and 'bama drove it down the field for the go-ahead TD. If they make the PI call, it could have been a different outcome...not saying VT would have won but also not saying 'bama would have won by 10 either...

Possibly...the no-call on the 'bama pass interference when VT had the ball on 3rd and long early in the 4th Q. Had the zebras made the call (they called a very similar play against VT earlier in the game), it would have extended the drive a couple of more minutes. Instead VT's D was right back in the game and 'bama drove it down the field for the go-ahead TD. If they make the PI call, it could have been a different outcome...not saying VT would have won but also not saying 'bama would have won by 10 either...

There were also two penalties on Alabama third downs that extended drives for them that led to points. One was the "late hit" out of bounds call that was an obvious blown call.