SWVA Hit of the decade

NewHampshireRed

Thanks to the video post by Lance A.W. Looneys hit was pretty good. But I got to wondering about some of the other top hits this decade. So with that in mind feel free to post up some video links ( if you have them) or your story and in a couple of weeks we will run a poll and vote the SWVA hit of the decade.

My recomendation comes from 2004 when Hurleys Scottie Potter was hit at J.I. Burton while he was recieving the punt in the Region D playoffs. The hit knocked his ear pads and mouth piece completly out of his helmet and was broadcast several times on News channel 5 that night.

Thanks, Mapper

I remember a hit that a Tazewell kid put on a Graham player during a kick-off several seasons ago at Mitchell Stadium...the Graham player got KO'd, dropped like a sack of taters. Fortunately, he was OK with no serious, long-term damage...

I remember a hit that a Tazewell kid put on a Graham player during a kick-off several seasons ago at Mitchell Stadium...the Graham player got KO'd, dropped like a sack of taters. Fortunately, he was OK with no serious, long-term damage...

What about the Hit the Richlands players layed on the Honaker kid a couple of years ago that knocked his helmet clear off of his head? BigD4VT had a pic of it posted if my memory serves me correct.

JJK's Andrew Sturgill's hit on Richland's Jeremy Keene (think that was his name) during a JJK-Richlands scrimmage at Wise a few years back was bone-jarring,and it shook the guy up pretty good.

I don't remember the year but the night Ahmad Bradshaw hit a running back from Mt. View so hard that the kid never came back, and Mt. View pretty much shut down after that. (The back may have been Kelvin Dubose (sp))

I think I remember the picture, but it was nothing compared to "The Wicks Hit" against Hidden Valley in the 2006 state semi-final.

The video doesn't do it justice. P.J. Ziegler had a better one but it's not online that I'm aware of. I have the TV broadcast on DVD somewhere but don't have the ability to rip it.

I think I remember the picture, but it was nothing compared to "The Wicks Hit" against Hidden Valley in the 2006 state semi-final.

The video doesn't do it justice. P.J. Ziegler had a better one but it's not online that I'm aware of. I have the TV broadcast on DVD somewhere but don't have the ability to rip it.

Hey Big D I sent you a myspace invite. I have some football pics on there you might like to check out.

I don't remember the year but the night Ahmad Bradshaw hit a running back from Mt. View so hard that the kid never came back, and Mt. View pretty much shut down after that. (The back may have been Kelvin Dubose (sp))

Almost forgot about the hit AB put on the kick returner for Liberty-Beford in the playoffs...that one hurt a little bit as well...

I was actually at that game, and it was scary the noise that hit made. Definately the best high school hit ive ever seen.

Also, the hit Raz took 3 years ago on a swing pass by Clayburne?...That was vicious

Gate City vs. Honaker in 2004 playoffs. Will Humphreys crushed the quarterback for Honaker who ran a QB sweep around left end and was blown up by Will. Up until that point the quarterback had ran the ball successfully but after that he was very skiddish. Also, maybe not hit of the decade, but a great was last year when Dustin Jones for GC hit Terrell Lee for Lebanon in the regular season. It knocked Lee out for the rest of the game.

The Looney hit was awesome...the kid went to the hospital and had cracked ribs and was luckily ok other than that.

Another good hit I saw in person was Ahmad Bradshaw totally jacked up a kid in pass coverage once in the playoffs, might have been against Martinsville or Bedford I don't really remember...he was flagged for an penalty on it, but I was like 10 feet away and it was a clean hit...just a massive hit so I guess the ref just thought it must have been dirty....the kid left the game...I think I might still have it on tape if I can find it....I have several of Bradshaw's games on tape.

The Looney hit was awesome...the kid went to the hospital and had cracked ribs and was luckily ok other than that.

Another good hit I saw in person was Ahmad Bradshaw totally jacked up a kid in pass coverage once in the playoffs, might have been against Martinsville or Bedford I don't really remember...he was flagged for an penalty on it, but I was like 10 feet away and it was a clean hit...just a massive hit so I guess the ref just thought it must have been dirty....the kid left the game...I think I might still have it on tape if I can find it....I have several of Bradshaw's games on tape.

There was a vicious hit on a Liberty-Bedford player by Ahmad on a sweep to Paco Jones where Ahmad caught the defensive end running toward the sideline, but caught him inside the shoulder pad and absolutely crushed him. The refs heard the ooooooh by the crowd and looked at the Bedford player picking up his teeth and threw the flag. That was a horrible call. That may be the call you are referring to. Or it may be the run against Martinsville where he hit the cornerback full steam and literally knocked the kid trying to tackle him 10 yards. With Ahmad there were so many it is hard to figure out which one was best. My favorite was when he jacked up the Brawley kid from Bedford on the kickoff return. The first thing that hit the ground on that kid was the back of his helmet. lol

you know, now that I think about it Ahmad might have been the receiver and the pass went to long and jacked up a defensive back...pretty sure it was against Martinsville....either way it was a clean hit because the kid touched the ball just as Ahmad was hitting him...still got flagged on it.

If this is including a Bluefield hit, I can easily remember a hit Jake Lilly slammed on a guy during the Gridorama before his sophomore season. The player was from George Wythe and was running up the sideline. Jake hit him, which threw the player out of bounds, and collapsed his throat leading to him leaving the scrimmage from a stretcher.

I gotta go with this one. A real slobber knocker....LOL ! You had to be there to really appreciate how hard of a hit it was. Snot, mouth piece, helmet, and ball all went in different directions :D. It's still one of, if not THE hardest hit I've seen.

Almost forgot about the hit AB put on the kick returner for Liberty-Beford in the playoffs...that one hurt a little bit as well...

Remember the hit Rusty Coeburn put on AB as he ran an option keeper in the 2003 Beaver-Graham game? Rusty had Ahmad up over his shoulder at one point and just lowered the boom on him. I'll never forget it because it was played on the intro of BHS Today, the student-led daily news program at Bluefield for the entire year after that.

The best stiff arm I have ever seen at any level also took place at the Beaver-Graham two years after that. In 2005, Robert Henry took a sweep to the right on the Bluefield 8-yard line and had a hole you could drive a bus through, but slowed down purposely and waited for Shaun Brooks to catch up then made Shaun eat dirt as he threw the stiff arm into the end zone. That's the only time I can ever recall Shaun Brooks being on the wrong side of a hit.

I was actually at that game, and it was scary the noise that hit made. Definately the best high school hit ive ever seen.

Also, the hit Raz took 3 years ago on a swing pass by Clayburne?...That was vicious

I remember that one too. It happened right in front of me. I was following Rasnake with the camera as he ran towards me... then all of a sudden he wasn't there anymore. It was the hit of the year until the Hidden Valley game. Justin McCracken also had a big one on a punt returner that year. It was just like the Wicks hit except without all the debris.

JR Wilson had the best stiffarm I've ever seen in a high school game against Honaker. I believe it was against the Bostic kid. He literally jumped into JR and received the nastiest stiff arm ever. Full arm extension with the Honaker guy in the air, then into the ground. Would have been an amazing picture. Matt Cleaver had one almost exactly like it in the same game.

Drew Walker also had an amazing hit on a punt against Gate city in 2005 that was damaging to anybodies ego. He also had one in a scrimmage against Bland eariler that year that was just stupid.

Justin McCrackin and Jarrod Riddle hit one time right up the gut in my senior year and they were both brick walls. Both of them fell straight to the ground and got up talking smack haha, it was awesome.

If this is including a Bluefield hit, I can easily remember a hit Jake Lilly slammed on a guy during the Gridorama before his sophomore season. The player was from George Wythe and was running up the sideline. Jake hit him, which threw the player out of bounds, and collapsed his throat leading to him leaving the scrimmage from a stretcher.

Yes it does. I meant SWVA hit of the decade as SWVAsports.com hit of the decade. So Wva readers are also encouraged to add their all time hardest hit story,video, pic, ect.

I gotta go with this hit. Wicks killed him!

JR Wilson had the best stiffarm I've ever seen in a high school game against Honaker. I believe it was against the Bostic kid. He literally jumped into JR and received the nastiest stiff arm ever. Full arm extension with the Honaker guy in the air, then into the ground. Would have been an amazing picture. Matt Cleaver had one almost exactly like it in the same game.

Drew Walker also had an amazing hit on a punt against Gate city in 2005 that was damaging to anybodies ego. He also had one in a scrimmage against Bland eariler that year that was just stupid.

Justin McCrackin and Jarrod Riddle hit one time right up the gut in my senior year and they were both brick walls. Both of them fell straight to the ground and got up talking smack haha, it was awesome.

Austin Fuller was the man with the stiff arms I remember when they played Grundy his senior year and the cheerleaders had a sign that said "austin who?" the football team found out on the first play he jacked up all 11 of them on a long touch down run

Austin Fuller was the man with the stiff arms I remember when they played Grundy his senior year and the cheerleaders had a sign that said "austin who?" the football team found out on the first play he jacked up all 11 of them on a long touch down run

hahaha greatness