VT vs U

-oo-

Someone mentioned Tech having a great defense? 107th in rushing isn't gonna get it done.

That 107th in rushing ranking is a bit misleading...yes, they have given up 601 yards in rushing but 1/3 of that total (201 yards...Alabama [39,34,19], Marshall [61], Nebraska [31,17]) has come on just six plays. Still yet, giving up the big plays is what concerns me the most.

601 yards on 113 carries is an average of 5.31 yards/carry.

Take away those five big plays...

400 yards on 107 carries is an average of 3.73 yards/carry.

That tells me, if VT can stop giving up the big play, the run D will be fine.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 107th in rushing ranking is a bit misleading...yes, they have given up 601 yards in rushing but 1/3 of that total (201 yards...Alabama [39,34,19], Marshall [61], Nebraska [31,17]) has come on just six plays. Still yet, giving up the big plays is what concerns me the most.

Good stats. Thanks.

I don't know about the statement that the d-line will be fine with the run especially with Miami's dynamic duo.

I don't know about the statement that the d-line will be fine with the run especially with Miami's dynamic duo.

I didn't say "d-line", I said run D...all the D-line needs to do is keep the OL from getting to the next level...LBs and DBs have to come up and stop the run...no missed tackles like they've had the last three weeks...

The youth of some members of the D is contributing to them giving up so many big plays. Some guys are playing out of position and they are not tackling well. Foster is the best at what he does and he WILL get it fixed. Will it be by tomorrow? We shall see.

My best friend is a Miami alum, so there's no doubt where my allegiances lie this week.

I've got a bad feeling about this one, Hokies. I really think Miami's going to kick the crap out of VT, if for no other reason than the 'Canes getting their swagger back.

Miami-34

VT-7

Guess you were wrong

Guest JJBrickface

I said Tech by at least two TD's! I knew Miami was overrated and that they weren't good enough to go into Tech and win.

I said Tech by at least two TD's! I knew Miami was overrated and that they weren't good enough to go into Tech and win.

I wouldn't say Miami is overrated. Did you watch the game??? They played horribly. Every team has an off night. Miami picked the wrong VT team to have one against. VT played very well, I won't take that away from them. But had Miami played like they did last week, I think it would have been the other way around.

I don't think Miami is overrated. I just think the Hokies played that good today. Harris didn't have time to do anything today. Ryan Williams had another amazing day. The defense actually played like we are used to the defense playing.

I wouldn't say Miami is overrated. Did you watch the game??? They played horribly. Every team has an off night. Miami picked the wrong VT team to have one against. VT played very well, I won't take that away from them. But had Miami played like they did last week, I think it would have been the other way around.

If, if, if. You can what if all you like, but Miami got taken to the woodshed and it wasn't close at any point following the opening kickoff. Yes, Miami played poorly, but VT had a lot to do with that. Tech wanted it more and was more prepared to play; having played 'Bama assisted greatly with that.

I said I'd be shocked by a VT blowout win and I am. For the first time all season the Hokies played like the team the preseason hyped had them being. I take my hats off to the entire team for stepping up for their game. And for all the criticism he's taken, and very much deserved, I thought Stinespring called a good game today. When Taylor is allowed to be mobile and run the football it opens up the other aspects of the offense.

Bud's D said welcome to our house.....but there won't be any niceties after the game clock starts. The D overwhelmed, they swarmed, they smothered, they covered, they scattered, they CONQUERED. Tyrod Taylor IMO was a very confident player today....you could just sense it....making all the right decisions.....it was just a totally season making performance for the Hokies.

He hasn't had any pressure yet? Have you watched their games? Jacory has spun out of, ran away from, and juked past many defenders this year. Also, he has thrown on the run on bootleg plays where he ends up with pressure on him. Jacory is the real deal.

NOW, he's faced pressure...and crumbled.

Beano. What part of their horrible play wasn't caused by Tech??? Every aspect of their 'poor play' was Virginia Tech completely out playing Miami. We got pressure on Harris, we owned their running game, our special teams were on, and our offense completely dismantled their defense. We exploited their weaknesses and came out on top. There is literally no way to say that this game was won because of Miami's short comings or an 'off night', but rather it was Tech simply being better. Now take your Tech hating ways somewhere else for a week. The points you make are completely useless and carry no truth to the way the game was played.

Actually I have a question to return to you. Did YOU watch the game???

And also, you said "VT played very well... I won't take that away from them." The first couple of sentences before completely took 'that' away from them. So please, try not to contradict yourself so much.

Beano. What part of their horrible play wasn't caused by Tech??? Every aspect of their 'poor play' was Virginia Tech completely out playing Miami. We got pressure on Harris, we owned their running game, our special teams were on, and our offense completely dismantled their defense. We exploited their weaknesses and came out on top. There is literally no way to say that this game was won because of Miami's short comings or an 'off night', but rather it was Tech simply being better. Now take your Tech hating ways somewhere else for a week. The points you make are completely useless and carry no truth to the way the game was played.

Actually I have a question to return to you. Did YOU watch the game???

And also, you said "VT played very well... I won't take that away from them." The first couple of sentences before completely took 'that' away from them. So please, try not to contradict yourself so much.

Bingo!

Guest JJBrickface
How can they go from National Title contenders to overrated in one game??? :eek:

I never said they were National Contenders.