Bluefield WVA @ Gate City VA

Jason

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I must be the one of the few fans that enjoy the trip down to Gate City. Love the atmosphere before and during the game.

I love the atmosphere there. They know how I feel about the people on the track (still the only place I've been heckled) but I love playing Gate City and I've never paid any attention to the horn. I thought Bluefield would win this game but after the crap (from a few) about Richlands' schedule it's nice to see GC win it.

I love the atmosphere there. They know how I feel about the people on the track (still the only place I've been heckled) but I love playing Gate City and I've never paid any attention to the horn. I thought Bluefield would win this game but after the crap (from a few) about Richlands' schedule it's nice to see GC win it.

I agree with you 100% Big D.

What?

I'm calling you guys out for being annoying clowns.

They may be annoying clowns to you but you are sounding like a BIG CRYBABY to everyone about the horn...the horn has been part of Gate City's tradition for as long as I can remember. Almost as annoying as firing the cannon at Mitchell Stadium...even ask some of the Bluefield fans about it...still makes some pee their pants when it goes off...

What?

I'm calling you guys out for being annoying clowns. We lost the game, I can deal with that. The idiotic annoying horn is a completely different issue.

Most places, the most annoying thing is poor seating or the PA guy saying "First DOWN!!" really loud. Gate City takes being annoying pests to an all new level.

Would you like some cheese with that whine? HAHAHAHA. You amuse me! Seems to me that you are just upset about the loss, that is the whole point, it is our home field not yours therefore we can create the atmosphere how we want and the horn is in no way disrespectful to visiting fans except, I guess, for the ones with bad attitudes and the ones who are sore losers. Good Luck to Bluefield the rest of the season!

What a hard hitting game by both teams. Bluefield has a heck of a defense, GC's is pretty tuff in their own right----held a high powered Beaver offense in the second half to 61 yards total and 171 total yards for the game.

AGREEEEEEEED!!! I thought GC was such a push over.......according to a few posters on here.

Well it is like this at Gate City The horns are that teams 12th or 13th man especially last night because the fans where pretty gosh darn rocking. If you don't like them horns best solution is to shut gate city down and the horns are quite. But you guys couldn't do it. So there for you got a ear full of the big blue express. So until next time every time you hear a good old train come through WV just think dang gate city just put six more on the board.

The train whistle is Gate City Football. Some of the old timers like me can still remember the old steam whistle we used to have mounted on a flatbed. The crowd would be in the stands and when Old Blue would come through Moccasin Gap from Weber City they would start blowing the whistle (you could hear it VERY GOOD) and the crowd would erupt in cheers. This tradition has gone on as long as I can remember with a whistle/horn blowing. I've saw games where the steam whistle blew so much, well, it ran out of steam! It all goes back to a song written in the late 60' early 70's to the tune of Wabash Cannonball and of course it's titled...

THE BIG BLUE CANNONBALL! Watch it on youtube

AGREEEEEEEED!!! I thought GC was such a push over.......according to a few posters on here.

GC did what needed to be done last night period! Would they beat Bluefield if we play again? probably depends on where it is played, turnovers, etc... Bluefield is a fine football team that in my opinion rivals S. South in talent. GC played a much better game last night than they did vs. South. Two good teams with really good tradition played like it. GC managed to not give up any long plays for a score, and GC managed to break one long run in the 3rd quarter. That, in my opinion was the difference in a very close ballgame.

As for the whistle/horn...... :) At least no one was assaulted on the track. (calm down it's a joke!) As others have said on here, a lot of schools have that type of tradition. When we went to Southhampton in 1974 they had a tank (yes an Army tank) they shot off after a TD. They scored first and the crowd was fired up. GC eventually won that game and the State Title 28-7. (we kept them from shooting that darn thing by the play on the field)

Good luck to Bluefield the rest of the way and bring home another State Title. Hopefully the Devils will take'em one game at a time and have another deep run in the playoffs.

i would have enjoyed this game much more if Beckett was at QB..that wouldve opened up a whole new world of Off. Its hard to beat a good team with a backup QB, no matter how tough the kid is. GC won, congrats to them. The Beavers need to go back to the drawing board soon and figure out a new game plan b/c they are very one dimensional right now.

as for the horn..their stadium, their rules! its that simple.

i would have enjoyed this game much more if Beckett was at QB..that wouldve opened up a whole new world of Off. Its hard to beat a good team with a backup QB, no matter how tough the kid is. GC won, congrats to them. The Beavers need to go back to the drawing board soon and figure out a new game plan b/c they are very one dimensional right now.

as for the horn..their stadium, their rules! its that simple.

I was talking to a couple of guys during the game wondering if Bluefield was going to run anything but the QB draw or the Dive.

We had such a good trip overall, especially up on the mountain, so it offset the frustration of the game itself. But that said, let me just say congrats to gate city and their fans, although I don't care for the horn myself, it was a good atmosphere amongst people who are really passionate about their communities football. They have a very good football team, about what I expected physically, although bigger, (considering they're supposedly youthful), and hopefully they'll be able to earn the title in va.

The coaches and fans of these 2 teams should make certain that this is a series that goes on beyond the 2 years they have scheduled.. so anyhow congrats and good fortune to gate city.

They deserve to be congratulated in a post just for them. I was very impressed overall and we enjoyed playing yall.

As for bluefield, with the 2 traditional teams playing for the 1st time, we each hoped to make a good impression, gate city did, in my opinion, bluefield didn't, perhaps that's simply from my perspective of a biased bluefield fan. They played well on d, about as well as I expected against that style of o, minus those 2 long plays.

But the d had to shoulder the burden of bluefield's lack of o.

It was somewhat frustrating that with 2 weeks to prepare they had all of maybe 4 plays as the main o scheme, 2 common plays to each side. The impression that made was on o was what was really lacking, that's simply not bluefield football on o, they commonly do much more than that, not that I have to tell bluefield folks that.

If, they were going to play gate city with gate city football in such a way, in my opinion they should have coached them beforehand to specifically take the yardage they had on each play. With bluefield's speed and power it seemed to me that they could burst through any seems for at least 4 or 5 yards on most plays, not all but most, but it's not the fault of bluefield's players that they just don't play that way.

It's in their system to make big plays. they're used to cutting back against the grain, but they're used to doing in the secondary, not at the line of scrimmage cutting back into the thick of the d as they did so often. But that's really not to fault their players, 3, 4 or 5 yards a play and grinding out 1st downs simply isn't a bluefield style of football. As a bluefield fan I have to be honest and say it was downright hard to watch.

But what was with 3 false starts in 4 or 5 plays?

Bluefield's playing very hard overall and the effort is there, but they're simply not that strong of an overall football team with their o scheme as is it seems.

It's fortunate they have some considerably easier games on their schedule finally, but they'll have to have their qb return and return to the game they had early in the season because their game as it is simply won't get it done in the latter rounds of the playoffs in my opinion.

Best of fortune to them as well though.............

Wow. I must be the one of the few fans that enjoy the trip down to Gate City. Love the atmosphere before and during the game.

Nope, I enjoyed the heck out of the atmosphere. I remember the days BHS resembled the GC crowd. We used to get loud on 3rd and 4th downs, and actually cheer the kids on. Now it is bitching at the coaches and sitting on hands that should be clapping. I give kudos to the pep section for trying to get the rest of the crowd pumped up, but sadly the crowd acts like a wine & cheese crowd. Trust me people I've been out there on the field, players can feed off the atmosphere. To the guy that kept calling Steptoe a coward, you need to be BANNED from BHS games. It's okay to yell at Fritz, but leave the 15 & 16 year old kids alone. What a big man.

I'm glad you had a good trip Buzz. I'd definitely love to see the series last longer than 2 years. Hopefully they'll get that done.

I ended up going on that windy country route. I didn't check messages in the morning before we left out, so I just winged it and took the gate city exit in bristol and it was that country route. It wasn't bad at all, I enjoy country scenery like that, but it's not a route to make time on and you do have to be careful.

Do you know if the scheduling of this series had anything to do with the change in coaches there? What team did bluefield replace on their schedule?

I can't think of any reasons they couldn't or shouldn't schedule more games.