Long time Grundy football coach passes away

olewave

Don Newberry former head coach and asst coach died of a heart attack today. Coach Newberry coached in 6 decades, starting in the late 50's and retiring in 2001. After retiring he was elected to the Buchanan County School Board, where he was still a member today. He will be greatly missed by the entire wave community. Good man who had a postitve influence on a heck of alot of kids. We will miss you Coach.

I was shocked to hear this earlier today...for those of you who didn't know Coach Newberry...he was one of the best guys you could meet in life...I played for him some 25 years ago and he made it fun to play football, even though it wasn't a great time in Grundy football history during those years.

I saw him in Wal Mart when I moved back here, hadn't seen him in a very long time...he came up and said "Hey big-un give your old coach a hug damn it"...lol...and that's just the kind of guy he was...a true original person if you ever met one.

Here's a pic...only one I have....R.I.P. Coach Newberry...the Grundy Nation will mourn the loss of a good man...it's very sad day.

1987 Wave Coaches.jpg

Heard some very sad news today, former Grundy football coach and current School Board Member Don Newberry passed away today.

Great coach and an even greater man. I am sure that there are many members of this site that played for, against or coached with Coach Newberry.

One of the finest men that I ever knew, along with my father, grandfather and Coach Curia, I consider him to be one of the significant role models in my life.

Please keep his family in your prayers.......

From what I heard, it happened just after he left the house. His wife was in the car with him, but I haven't heard if she got hurt in the "crash" or not.

Visitation will be @ 6 Thur. @ Shortridge-Ramey, about a half-mile below Hardee's, on the right, just up the hollow.

No funeral services will be conducted... instead, a "celebration of life" will be held in his honor at the HS gym Friday at 3:30. It's Homecoming, so the kids gets out around noon and you won't have to fight the buses.

(Don't know why they didn't do it at 6:00 or so.)

From what I heard, it happened just after he left the house. His wife was in the car with him, but I haven't heard if she got hurt in the "crash" or not.

Visitation will be @ 6 Thur. @ Shortridge-Ramey, about a half-mile below Hardee's, on the right, just up the hollow.

No funeral services will be conducted... instead, a "celebration of life" will be held in his honor at the HS gym Friday at 3:30. It's Homecoming, so the kids gets out around noon and you won't have to fight the buses.

(Don't know why they didn't do it at 6:00 or so.)

I can't make it Thursday because I have to work...but I will be there on Friday for sure.