FBDevotee

Its funny you say that, DO you think he cares if people think he is fat and an asshole? No he doesn't because he has 300 wins so im pretty sure he doesn"t give a damn about what you think besides Carrlock he is probably the best coach ever in SWVA

Its funny you say that, DO you think he cares if people think he is fat and an asshole? No he doesn't because he has 300 wins so im pretty sure he doesn"t give a damn about what you think besides Carrlock he is probably the best coach ever in SWVA

Another accomplishment in a great line of accomplishments. Sometimes its better to be respected or feared than liked. And, I doubt that many people on this board really know what kind of a human being he really is...that's between him and his ultimate judge.

He is DEFINATELY the biggest,fattest prick ever in SWVA...he may have 300 wins which is a good job but he will always be a big fat slobby loser to everyone outside of Big Stone Gap

I would say you are right meaty 2 ,he don't care. I think that is the reason no one outside of BSG gives a crap . He has never been a gracious winner or humble in defeat. There has been other coaches in SWVA that have been better models for young coaches to follow. I can think of three with as many victories,state titles,and RESPECT from his peers (Cummings,Colobro,Carlock). Phil has 7 state titles but he doesn't have 7 friends. I looked at the LPD Forum,and it's apparent that no one else in Wise County gives a crap either. There is not one mention of the victory. Go over there and get your warm and fuzzy feelings,if you can!!!!

no one really likes fat phil. He is an ass and doesnt really have much respect from ppl around here.

You're being too kind to the man....did he try to run up the score in his 300th win?

Nobody cares about robbins....except people at powell valley. If he would've won those 300 with class....people may have a different opinion of him.

Yep. He was an asst. @ PH in the late 60's, then h.c. @ Battle in the early 70's & h.c. @ C'burg from 78-82.

If he had stayed at Battle do you think he would have still won 7 state titles?

If he had stayed at Battle do you think he would have still won 7 state titles?

Strongly doubt it. Don't think that Battle has ever had NFL caliber talent. Further, doubt Robbins would have stayed at Battle as long as PV even if he had success there. No coach in Washington County stays for more than four or five years. The successful ones, and even some unsuccessful ones, get their masters and move into administration. There's just not the community/booster support for lengthy tenures in coaching here.

I have to disagree about Phil, and even though Carlock was great I have to disagree there too (but I do think he is 2nd)...you have Harry Frye from Gate City, Ralph Cummins from Clintwood, and Tom Turner from Appy who were all great as well...IMO I think Turner IS the best coach ever in SWVA, and I played for Phil at PV 1988-1990. Appy was our greatest rivalry, but Appy's coach did the most with the least and racked up 6 state titles in the process...with about half as much talent as most of the teams Appy played. He made FOOTBALL PLAYERS. That's why he's the best coach ever in SWVA IMO.

Edited by sup_rbeast

I have to disagree about Phil, and even though Carlock was great I have to disagree there too (but I do think he is 2nd)...you have Harry Frye from Gate City, Ralph Cummins from Clintwood, and Tom Turner from Appy who were all great as well...IMO I think Turner IS the best coach ever in SWVA, and I played for Phil at PV 1988-1990. Appy was our greatest rivalry, but Appy's coach did the most with the least and racked up 6 state titles in the process...with about half as much talent as most of the teams Appy played. He made FOOTBALL PLAYERS. That's why he's the best coach ever in SWVA IMO.

great post-I love Tom Turner and think he is one of the best to ever coach in swva. there will never be another one like him.

Something else for y'all to ponder...with Barry Jones as the Defensive Coordinator, Robbins was 7 for seven in state title games from 1983-2000 (Titles in '85, '89, '90, '94, '95, '97, '98)....since Barry left for Gate City, Phil is 0 for 1 ('04).. I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions.

I have little doubt that some of Coach Robbin's football victories and state titles at Powell Valley came at great cost to some other darn good football teams. A head coach could not win 300 games and 7 state titles without dashing other teams & fans dreams of winning.