I'll bet a dollar...

GMan

Guest quispbird
that David Marrs is named Offensive Player of the Year in the SWD...any takers???? :eek:

They may name you putt putt golfer of the year also. What prestige!

If you determine POY as to the impact that one player had on his/her team, David Marrs would be a probably candidate. The results should be released since all of the SWD teams are now eliminated, right. He definately deserves first team honors.

I hope that the All SWD teams actually reveal the best players and politics doesn't play a role.

Guest quispbird

He definitely carried graham to several of there 5 wins this season. Finishing 5-7 won't help his cause though.

He was a very good player though. Did alot for graham this season.

From what I saw of Marrs this year I thought he was solid...POY might be a stretch for me all things considered....probably would have gone with Austin Johnson from Richlands...I hope the Johnson kid from Marion is on the team somewhere...would be a big miss if he didn't make it.

That...and the fact other coaches are not happy about getting RUTS'd every year by the 'Naders...then, throw in the "transfer" issue...lots of votes not going Richlands' way...

no way should someone win POY if their team is 5-7. not saying david isn't a good player, but for him to win it would be ridiculous. it'd be different if his stats blew everyone out of the water, i could see why he would win it. but imo cody johnson, who accounted for around 30 TD's, and led his team to the SWD championship would be very deserving. Austin Johnson would be my pick though. if that kid keeps working he'll be something special.

Lets see, David ran for 1000 yards and threw for a over 1100 yards, punted for an average of 35 to 40 yards, was in on almost every tackle on defense and never came off the field. He at times carried the young lads from Graham on his back. Those are player of the year stats. It is not politics when it takes at least 4 of 7 votes to be named the poy. Cry politics all you want, but he deserved everything he got and will get in the region and state. Believe it or not, just because their is an "R" on your helmet does not entitle you to be the player of the year.

Edited by stubbycurrence

I would have to agree those are POY stats. I think team record should not be considered unless you will consider what the record would have been if that player had not been there. There is not a replacement for David Marrs on Graham's roster, there is however a Jack Vance from Richlands that could have played QB and the running back from Richlands that was a freshman last year was pretty good, but I understand he didn't come back this year in part because of illness.

If we are going to consider team in the issue of player -- a good question would be: Is there a spot for a player like David Marrs on Richlands [sWD Champs] team. I would imagine Mance would say bring him on down.

It will take 4 votes to be POY and David Marrs has only one - he should support his player whether it is his nephew or not.

Lets see, David ran for 1000 yards and threw for a over 1100 yards, punted for an average of 35 to 40 yards, was in on almost every tackle on defense and never came off the field. He at times carried the young lads from Graham on his back. Those are player of the year stats. It is not politics when it takes at least 4 of 7 votes to be named the poy. Cry politics all you want, but he deserved everything he got and will get in the region and state. Believe it or not, just because their is an "R" on your helmet does not entitle you to be the player of the year.

You listed good stats in making the case for Marrs as POY....but, your last sentence said alot more about your feelings. Last year the SWD co-players of the year were, Elswick of Richlands and Muncy of Tazewell.... the defensive POY, was Lanning of Carroll.....so, the bit about Richlands getting it ALL just because they have a R on their helmet....???

I would have to agree those are POY stats. I think team record should not be considered unless you will consider what the record would have been if that player had not been there. There is not a replacement for David Marrs on Graham's roster, there is however a Jack Vance from Richlands that could have played QB and the running back from Richlands that was a freshman last year was pretty good, but I understand he didn't come back this year in part because of illness.

If we are going to consider team in the issue of player -- a good question would be: Is there a spot for a player like David Marrs on Richlands [sWD Champs] team. I would imagine Mance would say bring him on down.

It will take 4 votes to be POY and David Marrs has only one - he should support his player whether it is his nephew or not.

All opinion.

I watched every play for Graham this year and would have to say that when they put David Marrs in on defense that turned Graham's season around. Whether or not that means he is deserving of POY I don't know, but he should at least be one of the top candidates.

that David Marrs is named Offensive Player of the Year in the SWD...any takers???? :eek:

Player of the year? That is in the bag. The real question is how long will it be before he retires his number?

Saw the SWD all distrtict teams in the paper this am and about crapped myself...what a joke!! For Graham's honorable mention they left out Jacob Bowling, a SR defensive end and had another player who played maybe 3-4 games at d-end and was awful at that position (good kid, goood athlete, just not a de). How does Marrs leave out a senior who played with a ton of heart, played injured at times, and made some huge stops for Graham this year??? Pathetic....it's getting hard to continue to support GHS football.

And no...I don't even know the Bowling kid personally...just follow GHS football closely.

Saw the SWD all distrtict teams in the paper this am and about crapped myself...what a joke!! For Graham's honorable mention they left out Jacob Bowling, a SR defensive end and had another player who played maybe 3-4 games at d-end and was awful at that position (good kid, goood athlete, just not a de). How does Marrs leave out a senior who played with a ton of heart, played injured at times, and made some huge stops for Graham this year??? Pathetic....it's getting hard to continue to support GHS football.

And no...I don't even know the Bowling kid personally...just follow GHS football closely.

Plus...Graham had their field goal kicker on their honorable mention? Really??

Not only did they leave out Bowling...they left out Adarius Jackson...he contributed way more than a couple that got honorable mention. This was a joke. Marrs should be ashamed.