BDT Region IV 1st Team

dawgs86

All-Region IV first team announced

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Three Richlands football players made the all-Region IV defensive first team released Monday, while four Graham G-Men were among those on the all-offensive first team.

Graham placed center Alex Marrs, quarterback David Marrs, tight end Torren Byrd and guard Tony Barreras on the squad, which included Richlands’ Devon Johnson (running back) and Austin Johnson (wide receiver and kick returner).

On the defensive side of the ball, the Blue Tornado is represented by lineman Will Lowe, linebacker Cody Thomas and defensive back Brad Strong. Tazewell’s Zack Pauley was chosen at defensive end.

The complete list, including second team and honorable mentions, will run in Wednesday’s Daily Telegraph.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_341232343.html

All-Region IV first team announced

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Three Richlands football players made the all-Region IV defensive first team released Monday, while four Graham G-Men were among those on the all-offensive first team.

Graham placed center Alex Marrs, quarterback David Marrs, tight end Torren Byrd and guard Tony Barreras on the squad, which included Richlands’ Devon Johnson (running back) and Austin Johnson (wide receiver and kick returner).

On the defensive side of the ball, the Blue Tornado is represented by lineman Will Lowe, linebacker Cody Thomas and defensive back Brad Strong. Tazewell’s Zack Pauley was chosen at defensive end.

The complete list, including second team and honorable mentions, will run in Wednesday’s Daily Telegraph.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_341232343.html

i wonder what kind of stats cave spring's QB had during the regular season?

http://valleysportsnow.com/content/view/2375/195/

ALL REGION IV

Showing some "luv" to the SWD on first team offense

Graham 4( Alex Marrs C, Tony Barreras G, Torren Byrd TE, David Marrs QB)

Richlands 2 (Austin Johnson garnered 2 positions WR, KR and Devon Johnson RB, (the only Soph. on first team)

The other 7 first team offensive spots : Salem 2, Cave 1, Hidden Valley 2, Patrick County 1 and C-burg 1

First team defense:

Zack Pauley Tazewell DE

Will Lowe Richlands DL

Cody Thomas Richlands LB

Bradley Strong Richlands DB

Zack Surratt Carroll DB

See link for "rest of story"

Edited by trublue

I said I wasn't going to complain about Cody Johnson being snubbed... And I don't want to take anything at all away from David Marrs, but looking at his stats, although they were good... Cody's were better. He had more passing yards and twice as many touchdowns. He also won twice as many games.

In my opinion, these All-Star teams should be chosen by the media. Not the coaches.

Guest quispbird

The "joke" of all of this is how graham did against cave spring ( losses of 55-12 and 42-0) richlands, marion, etc.

They were BLOWN out by all of those teams yet the get 4 players on the 1st team region team? What a joke!

The "joke" of all of this is how graham did against cave spring ( losses of 55-12 and 42-0) richlands, marion, etc.

They were BLOWN out by all of those teams yet the get 4 players on the 1st team region team? What a joke!

There are 18 voting head coaches who pick the all region team. These coaches must have seen something in these players to earn their votes. I see from your past posts that you are from Richlands. You placed more players on all region than any other school. Be proud of all the kids who earned all region honors.

Guest quispbird

Nothing to do with richlands players on it. They all desereved it. As evindenced by there 10-2 season.

When a 5-7 team can put 4 players on the 1st team region 4 team something is definitely wrong.

Look at the records and what some of those other teams did.

Nothing to do with richlands players on it. They all desereved it. As evindenced by there 10-2 season.

When a 5-7 team can put 4 players on the 1st team region 4 team something is definitely wrong.

Something is definately wrong (at Graham)...maybe it's not the players?

4 players on 1st team region....5-7 record = questionable coaching.

Guest quispbird

You give up about an average of 40 points a game for the season, finish in the middle of the pack in the swd, start the season 0-5, yet manage 4 players on the 1st team. What a joke.

There are 18 voting head coaches who pick the all region team. These coaches must have seen something in these players to earn their votes. I see from your past posts that you are from Richlands. You placed more players on all region than any other school. Be proud of all the kids who earned all region honors.

how many of those 18 coaches actually seen graham play?

i'm no richlands fan, by any means, but i do find it hard to believe that cody johnson, who accounted for around 30 TD's, and led his team to the SWD title and region championship game, doesn't get any recognition

First of all the players obviously don't get picked based on their records, second of all if David Marrs had the recievers Richlands had don't you think his stats would be twice what they are now. (no offense to Graham but we all know what style of football is played there). I think the players picked we're right. Remember this is an individual award and it's not always about team stats.

You give up about an average of 40 points a game for the season, finish in the middle of the pack in the swd, start the season 0-5, yet manage 4 players on the 1st team. What a joke.

The ones picked were for offense not defense!

Guest quispbird

And your point is???

How many points a game did graham score? Duh.

And your point is???

How many points a game did graham score? Duh.

They did pretty well against the swd. Didn't they score at least 20 against everybody and 35 or better against three district teams. They didn't fair so well out of district. What is amazing to me is the two regional champions had so few on the all region team and graham had four. Works out funny sometimes.

Guest quispbird
They did pretty well against the swd. Didn't they score at least 20 against everybody and 35 or better against three district teams. They didn't fair so well out of district. What is amazing to me is the two regional champions had so few on the all region team and graham had four. Works out funny sometimes.

Are you serious?? Richlands blew them out. Marion did the same.

Graham had to score 3 td's in the 4th qtr to just beat "mighty" Abingdon.

Grundy don't count cause well there grundy and should be playing single A.

There great win in the swd this season was the last game when they had to beat carroll to make the playoffs. Which they did.

Are you serious?? Richlands blew them out. Marion did the same.

Graham had to score 3 td's in the 4th qtr to just beat "mighty" Abingdon.

Grundy don't count cause well there grundy and should be playing single A.

There great win in the swd this season was the last game when they had to beat carroll to make the playoffs. Which they did.

I didn't get into an analysis competition. I posed a question about the number of points they scored and to my best knowledge stated what facts I had. Graham was scrappy and moved the ball on everyone. They scored 40+ several times. I don't know that they deserved four all region selections. Either way score was 20-14 at the half with richlands. They played with them for a half before richlands pulled away. A blowout is beating a team soundly for four quarters.

Guest quispbird

Wow! You are really slow.

I'll try and break it down for you.

A football game is 4 qtrs. Not 2. (But maybe graham would have faired better than 5-7 is games were only 2 qtrs.)

It was 49-14 in that game when graham scored on richlands scrubs.

Graham scored 40+ several times??

Did you forget the scores of 55-12 and 42-0 to cave spring. Or the bluefiled score? or the richlands score?

I believe you got your teams mixed up. Graham was the team giving up 40+ a game.

Has to be some coaches in SW VA voted for other SWVA players while the likes of Salem, Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, and Cave Spring voted strictly for their team or very few of their fellow teams.

Really seems to be more about votes than play.

Coaches nominate players from their team, but can't vote for players from their team....