? for the weather gurus out there

Pirate1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is going to get bad i have a feeling just talking to everyone they all think it is just like other storms in the past and not gonna do much this will be the one big storm i think we will get this year and not alot of people are gonna be ready for it. I look for us to get around 7-8 maybe more just looking at the weather channel.

All depends on the temperature...2*-3* above freezing won't get close to that...2*-3* belowing freezing...find your shovel...

I think we will be getting some snow from this system...I'm guessing 6"-8" in the Bluefield area...but I haven't really looked at the maps or the forecast...didn't even know it was going to snow until I heard that this morning on the Weather Channel...

OK, I just did a little checking...my weather models show the L staying well to the south of us...temps will be right for good snow but there won't be as much moisture available as predicted by some.

I'm revising my prediction to say a MAX of 4"-6" in the Bluefield area...some local/isolated areas just to the east/south may get 6"-10"...

Yea i say max around 6 what worries me is that the "weather men" around this area are saying maybe 2 inches is what WCYB has said and as has WVVA and most of the time you take what they tell you and then you go the other way and you got the weather and if they are calling for little to none then we may be in for something.

They just put out a warning rather than the watch that we had for 8-10 inches by sunday morning is how i took it but who knows. If i were you i might try to do it tommarrow if you had the chance if not then you could try it saturday but if it is as bad as they say it is going to be and most of the time it isn't but just to be on the safe side be careful man on your drive could get nasty and that goes for everyone that is going to be on the roads this weekend.

OK, I just did a little checking...my weather models show the L staying well to the south of us...temps will be right for good snow but there won't be as much moisture available as predicted by some.

I'm revising my prediction to say a MAX of 4"-6" in the Bluefield area...some local/isolated areas just to the east/south may get 6"-10"...

What a difference three hours can make...

My latest models are now showing the L moving out of the GoM across FL and up the EC...much closer to land and much further north than the earlier models...

I'm thinking we may get double-digit+ from this one now...:eek:

If my ankle starts hurting...we're screwed...I'll keep you posted...

CLINTWOOD & GRUNDY ...

FRIDAY... SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS AROUND 40.

FRIDAY NIGHT...RAIN IN THE EVENING. SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4-6 INCHES.

SATURDAY...& SAT. NIGHT... ADDITIONAL LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE.

Boy, I feel lucky

RICHLANDS ...

.FRIDAY...A CHANCE OF SNOW AND RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION 1-3 INCHES.

.FRIDAY NIGHT... ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6-10 INCHES.

.SATURDAY...ADDITIONAL MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION

well, maybe not.

Wytheville...

.FRIDAY...ACCUMULATION OF 1-3 INCHES.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8-12 INCHES.

I'm headed home early anyway. Winter Storm Warning issued for the NRV with amounts up to a foot in the Radford and Roanoke areas.

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON FRIDAY TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON FRIDAY TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES FRIDAY NIGHT AND INTO SATURDAY.

* TRAVEL WILL BECOME DIFFICULT IN THE WARNED AREA. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW AMOUNTS AROUND A FOOT ARE EXPECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

accuweather usually a little off but they have been on this one all the way...and now the nws.noaa.gov jumped on board....etc....could be a double digit one this time....blfd in 10 inch range....wythe and carroll co going to get pounded up to 16 or more inches.....could be a good one.

But if it tracks little farther east then it is just a small snow...can change in a hurry but that storm...is going to head for warmer then normal waters in the northeast which helps our snow chances....getting little excited for this one!!!!!

They just put out a warning rather than the watch that we had for 8-10 inches by sunday morning is how i took it but who knows. If i were you i might try to do it tommarrow if you had the chance if not then you could try it saturday but if it is as bad as they say it is going to be and most of the time it isn't but just to be on the safe side be careful man on your drive could get nasty and that goes for everyone that is going to be on the roads this weekend.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it tonight.

My latest models are now showing the L moving out of the GoM across FL and up the EC...much closer to land and much further north than the earlier models...

This is one of those tracks we've been talking about that gives us the good snows. We need a strong low pressure system that can create its own cold pool of air and create that good dynamic cooling and take that good tack up the east coast close enough to get the moisture but far enough out to stay away from the warmer air. Hope the track and such stays favorable....in a way, haha, hope I can get back home from work (out of the boondocks) before the worst, lol. Would be something to see the current NAM projectioin be right, although its one of the higher ones, with a 20+ highlighting over most of the area..

Edited by Beamerball

I can't help but to post and state the fact that I LOVE snow, haha. Given, however, that I don't drive far or really get out of the house on my Christmas break. Also given that my car is rear-wheel drive, haha. But nonetheless I love snow and lots of it. I'm excited, like a little kid, lmao. But I am sorry for those of you driving home from college, be careful! lol.

Well, looks like I'll be driving on Monday now. Figure I'd better stay put here. Not worth the risk.

Know the feeling. Having a hearing today is going to screw me out of several days with my folks...

My folks want me to start heading back on Sunday. But VDOT's notoriously lazy: everyone knows that they'll just throw down a tiny bit of salt and way too much gravel and call it a day. Especially since the kids won't have school, VDOT won't care. Can't drive on roads that are virtually impassible in the first place, and will have 10-16 inches of snow on them.

Plus, it's supposed to snow in SWVA every single day until Christmas, BUT 12/23. That's it.

We'll get this White Christmas everyone keeps praying for. I might not get to come home...

Edited by UVAObserver

My right hip, left knee and ankle are hurting so that does bode well!

This is what they are saying for dickenson county, va, lol where i work.

Winter Storm Warning from 4 P.M. Friday to 6 A.M. sunday....... looks like im going to skipping walmart tonight......everyone be careful going home tonight.

Snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches are likely by dawn Saturday.

Total snowfall accumulation potential will range from 12 to 18

inches for the mountain counties of West Virginia and southwest

Virginia before tapering off Sunday morning.

From Radford....

Issued by The National Weather Service

Roanoke/Blacksburg, VA

5:50 am EST, Fri., Dec. 18, 2009

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY.

* A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW AND SLEET ARRIVES BY EARLY AFTERNOON... CHANGING TO ALL SNOW BY DUSK. SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT.

* TRAVEL WILL BECOME DIFFICULT IN THE WARNED AREA. VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED. DOWNED TREES AND TREE LIMBS ALONG WITH POWER OUTAGES MAY OCCUR.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW AMOUNTS OF 12 TO 18 INCHES ARE EXPECTED WITH HIGHER AMOUNTS ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.