Time is right for Graham; Grundy to shift down

WaveFan09

but to me being in the BDD where we actually have a shot of winning the district will make it a lot more fun to watch than watching your alma matter (SP?) get 1 win a year over a kentucky team

and again...what happens after that? This is getting to the point of everone gets a trophy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no one knows, unless you can see the future..

future is the present...again, if you don't improve the teams - you continue to get what you have had....again, whole point of what i'm saying.

Has anyone ever thought about what the kids think about dropping? It is afterall the argument, what is best for the kids.

i dont see that there is any argument about dropping? Is there anyone who doesn't want Grundy and Graham to drop at this point?

The only argument that I can even remember about this was last year when Grundy tried to drop mid-cycle...that was wrong for several reasons...mainly, you don't make a two year schedule with other teams then drop in the middle of it affecting their points after they signed on to play you at AA level for two years.

Other than that I think most people were hoping that most of the SWD teams would all drop together and maybe keep the SWD intact...but, doesn't look like that will happen...don't see anyone saying they shouldn't drop though.

Grundy and Graham dropping to single A is best for the kids...bottom line...they deserve a shot at success like anybody else...they have been denied too long. Whatever reason that anybody would argue for either of those teams to stay AA is bogus.

Grundy and Graham dropping to single A is best for the kids...bottom line...they deserve a shot at success like anybody else...they have been denied too long. Whatever reason that anybody would argue for either of those teams to stay AA is bogus.

where exactly do you see anyone arguing this?

I have heard that Richlands is going to send in there request the by the end of the month or first of next month and would be placed in the BDD if it goes through.

It will be denied because, 1) they still have AA numbers; and 2) they can not prove "travel hardship" for district games.

It will be denied because, 1) they still have AA numbers; and 2) they can not prove "travel hardship" for district games.

what #'s are they using for Richlands? I've seen projections that put them in the 750 range soon...just curious what the #'s are they will be using for the next cycle? Current #'s or what?

where exactly do you see anyone arguing this?

Uhh...in the previous post you were stating reasons why there should be no argument...uhhh I was just agreeing with what you said....

Edited by futbolking

Uhh...in the previous post you were stating reasons why there should be no argument...uhhh I was just agreeing with what you said....

my argument, if you want to call it that, is not about dropping down or playing up....I'm talking about people who seem to be thinking that just because Grundy and Graham drop down, they are going to have an improvement in their teams...you still have the same team and are going to be playing mostly the same people...both teams already made the playoffs at AA this year with marginal success...I dont expect a change in district and AA to A level to up the talent level of either team? For some reason though, there are some people who seem to be thinking that the drop is going to solve everyone's problems...and it's not.

I think that Graham and Grundy will have better success in the distirct level then have a tough time in the play-offs when they will face some really good team such as Radford and Gate City

i think that graham and grundy droping down is a good move for those schools and will be a positive for the players. They will both be in the top 3 of their new districts, but like lance is saying if they are to have any success in the playoffs they need to improve.

I personally am really glad to see grundy enter the BDD, this district is nowhere near as strong as the SWD but will still be a stern chalenge for grundy. At Haysi success is measured in district championships and region and state championships are a distant thought I hope with Grundy droping that the level of competition will rise and so will the expectations at Haysi.

who says the other teams will schedule Richlands? I think they have beat Grundy for like 20 years straight now...who knows if Grundy will want to continue?
well it don't matter because mr. Rowe has said even at A school board meeting that all SWD teams have said we will not play you if you go A. :confused:

Carroll dropped Floyd due to the points situation. THey had played for years being neighboring counties. Floyd beat Carroll at least half of the time so that really would hurt a D4 teams chances of making the playoffs. I understood the move by CC but it was sad to see that rilvary die. Another thought is if Carroll beat Floyd, it was usually when Floyd wasn't very good. Maybe .500 which doesn't reward the victor alot of points.

well it don't matter because mr. Rowe has said even at A school board meeting that all SWD teams have said we will not play you if you go A. :confused:

I'm not sure I buy that Tazewell and/or Richlands said this. They both played all of their non-district games against Single A schools this year. If Tazewell and Richlands will play Gate City I can't see why they wouldn't play Grundy, especially since they will need six non-district games now.

If Marion, Carroll County and Abingdon don't play Grundy it's because of the distance, not because they are Group A. They all have several nearby schools they can pick up for non-district games.

It will be tough for that distirct to continue to survive. They need to look at going with some split 1-A/2-AA districts to help cut down on travel. Carroll is a AA school surrond by A schools. The VHSL should look going to four classifications.

I'm not sure I buy that Tazewell and/or Richlands said this. They both played all of their non-district games against Single A schools this year. If Tazewell and Richlands will play Gate City I can't see why they wouldn't play Grundy, especially since they will need six non-district games now.

If Marion, Carroll County and Abingdon don't play Grundy it's because of the distance, not because they are Group A. They all have several nearby schools they can pick up for non-district games.

Playing Gate City or Lebanon who will carry a lot of points for winning 8 or 9 games is different from playing Grundy who has won about 6 in the past 5 years (up to this year)...I can see where Richlands would rather schedule an AA or strong A team other than Grundy...and I'm not sure that Grundy would want to play Richlands if they didn't have to...if they can find another game instead of Richlands it would be easy to drop them.

It will be tough for that distirct to continue to survive. They need to look at going with some split 1-A/2-AA districts to help cut down on travel. Carroll is a AA school surrond by A schools. The VHSL should look going to four classifications.

They have, but the schools keep voting to stick with 3.

Playing Gate City or Lebanon who will carry a lot of points for winning 8 or 9 games is different from playing Grundy who has won about 6 in the past 5 years (up to this year)...I can see where Richlands would rather schedule an AA or strong A team other than Grundy...and I'm not sure that Grundy would want to play Richlands if they didn't have to...if they can find another game instead of Richlands it would be easy to drop them.

I think they will keep playing unless Grundy doesn't want to. There really aren't any other AA teams for Richlands to pick up. I suppose they could look at a strong A like Burton or Clintwood. And if consolidation goes through in Wise they could look at those schools. But I don't see them dropping Grundy or Graham anytime soon.

my argument, if you want to call it that, is not about dropping down or playing up....I'm talking about people who seem to be thinking that just because Grundy and Graham drop down, they are going to have an improvement in their teams...you still have the same team and are going to be playing mostly the same people...both teams already made the playoffs at AA this year with marginal success...I dont expect a change in district and AA to A level to up the talent level of either team? For some reason though, there are some people who seem to be thinking that the drop is going to solve everyone's problems...and it's not.

I agree with you. Talent level will not improve, you've still only got about 500 kids to choose from at Graham and Grundy, there's not a wealth of talent to choose from. In addition... If, for some reason one of these teams field a good enough athletic team to make it to the regional level, I think the playing field will be more balanced. But the single A teams in this region are every bit as good as the AA, for the most part.

I think that Graham and Grundy will have better success in the distirct level then have a tough time in the play-offs when they will face some really good team such as Radford and Gate City

I agree 100%....Currrently, Grayson county of the MED usually makes the playoffs in football by winning the district and then gets destroyed in the playoffs...I think Graham takes over that role....but may have a little more success than Grayson County.

don't forget Floyd....Giles...George Wythe...Gretna...in addition to Radford and Gate City.

All of the teams listed here would've destroyed Graham this year....Floyd had a down year (3-7), but I still think they would've beaten Graham this year.