Mitchell Stadium to possibly be renamed?

Bluefield_Rules

Gainer was a great coach, and as much as anyone deserves to be honored.

I have real problems with naming thing after folks. Where you run into problems is once you name something for someone it leads to problems down the road. At the time the person the thing is named for is very deserving. As time goes on, other folks accomplish things and are equally deserving of a similar honor.

I believe this just creates bad feelings for the descendents of the person whose name is taken off the thing to make way for someone new. Or you have people deserving to be honored being left hanging. Neither is good PR.

Gainer was a great coach, and as much as anyone deserves to be honored.

I have real problems with naming thing after folks. Where you run into problems is once you name something for someone it leads to problems down the road. At the time the person the thing is named for is very deserving. As time goes on, other folks accomplish things and are equally deserving of a similar honor.

I believe this just creates bad feelings for the descendents of the person whose name is taken off the thing to make way for someone new. Or you have people deserving to be honored being left hanging. Neither is good PR.

I agree with what you're saying. However, Gainer is the man that made Bluefield the football town it is day and started the tradition at Bluefield High.

that's great, except for 1 little thing...

it's not Bluefield High's stadium.

"Members of the Merrill Gainer Stadium Committee"

Oh, really now?

"...asked the city Board of Directors"

I suppose, since it's in WV, no one on the Va. side of the line has any say in it, right?

And does the BoD control the stadium? Is it part of Parks & Rec?

Edited by VHSLhelper

Oh, really now?

I suppose, since it's in WV, no one on the Va. side of the line has any say in it, right?

Nope, but it's in the City of Bluefield, WV, which is home to the Bluefield High School Beavers.

Oh, really now?

Oh no you di'int! Let me get in before this post and mine make this thread balloon into several pages.

Thanks for sharing the Virginia side of the viewpoint. Neither Bluefield High School nor the Mercer County School Board own Mitchell Stadium, and hence, it shouldn't be an automatic rubber-stamp for BHS names (and only BHS names) to be used on the stadium. Graham has a strong football tradition of its own, and just as deserving a name in Glynn Carlock to match against Merrill Gainer.

And for a second point, as long as Tazewell County Public Schools continues to lease the stadium (and as the Board of Directors owns Mitchell Stadium, TCPS is on the same footing as anyone else), I would find it acceptable, even proper, to have "some" Graham High history/names in the stadium. Not "most", Beaver faithful. "Some".

I am going to get a little off topic....but Bluefield needs to make their stands wheelchair accessible or atleast put a platform at the 50 yd line on both home and visitor side!!! any of you Bluefield guys have some pull up there!!! this is long overdue!!!!!!!

It is tiring rolling up and down the track to watch a football game!!!! lol

Seriously, get over it or find a new stadium to play in. It's that simple...

I'm sorry, I didn't know that Bluefield High School owned the rights to Mitchell Stadium. Or that the Bluefield, WV city council had to answer to Bluefield High School. Perhaps it's that Mitchell Stadium only receives revenue from Bluefield, WV. It's neither of those 3, you say? Then your argument's no better than anyone from the Virginia side. It's that simple...

BTW, I've been clamoring for Graham to get out of Mitchell since I was at Graham. Long-term, it's just better to pony up the $25K/season for a lease, when a new stadium will run $500K at the least.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that Bluefield High School owned the rights to Mitchell Stadium. Or that the Bluefield, WV city council had to answer to Bluefield High School. Perhaps it's that Mitchell Stadium only receives revenue from Bluefield, WV. It's neither of those 3, you say? Then your argument's no better than anyone from the Virginia side. It's that simple...

BTW, I've been clamoring for Graham to get out of Mitchell since I was at Graham. Long-term, it's just better to pony up the $25K/season for a lease, when a new stadium will run $500K at the least.

The lease I believe is $34K, and a new stadium would run $3.5 million.

I'd say it would take a long time to get people to stop calling it Mitchell Stadium. It might be a better idea to rename the road in front of the stadium in honor of him (like many of the colleges do).

Hence, my previous point. Someone will always be mad over a name or name change.

I just think it shows how crazy the ppl. in charge are.

Didn't they name the field a couple of years ago, then CHANGED IT within a year?

Okay, wait..... I see now.

New complex groundbreaking set for the NEXT DAY at Graham, with a coaches name attached.

Were the WV ppl. trying to steal some of the thunder?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Me thinks some of the Beavers have developed a case of Carlock envy.

The reason the name was changed was because The June Shott Foundation funded the upgrades to the field. Bluefield High has zero envy of Graham High.

They need to just erect statues of the former coaches towards the hillside of the stadium and that would solve a lot of the problems instead of trying to find things within Mitchell Stadium to name after these local coaches. They could have paid for them with the money that was used to buy those stupid train statues that are on display at Chicory Square.

Sometime down the road I'm sure Fred Simon will come up to be named to something at Mitchell Stadium.

If it's going to be changed, it should be called Bluefield Coliseum. "Bluefield" because the stadium represents school from both Bluefields, thus making the name favorable to neither side. "Coliseum" because it's bad-a**.

The idea of erecting statues of memorable coaches is a great one in my mind. The grass/brush/crap-fest that's going on around the scoreboard looks awful anyway.

First and foremost, the city of Bluefield/BHS/GHS/whoever needs to find some funding to redo the bleachers. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but look across at the condition of the bleachers next time you're in the stadium. They look horrible and they aren't wheelchair accessible.

If it's going to be changed, it should be called Bluefield Coliseum. "Bluefield" because the stadium represents school from both Bluefields, thus making the name favorable to neither side. "Coliseum" because it's bad-a**.

The idea of erecting statues of memorable coaches is a great one in my mind. The grass/brush/crap-fest that's going on around the scoreboard looks awful anyway.

First and foremost, the city of Bluefield/BHS/GHS/whoever needs to find some funding to redo the bleachers. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but look across at the condition of the bleachers next time you're in the stadium. They look horrible and they aren't wheelchair accessible.

The city of Bluefield charges teams to play there....they need to pony up the money to fix it up...not the responsibility of GHS, that's for sure....they've contributed enough to that place.

I just think it shows how crazy the ppl. in charge are.

Didn't they name the field a couple of years ago, then CHANGED IT within a year?

Even a non-Bluefieldian gets it...anybody read the Letter to the Editor in today's BDT????

They can rename it whatever they want...I will continue to call it June O. Shott Field at Mitchell Stadium located on Stadium Drive...

Ummm...they were all replaced less than ten years ago.

If people wouldn't abuse them, there wouldn't be any problems. Some people have no respect for other people's property...if it isn't theirs, they don't give a $hit...

Sometime down the road I'm sure Fred Simon will come up to be named to something at Mitchell Stadium.

I thought that myself when I read they wanted to rename Mitchell Stadium...

I was unaware they were replaced. However, it looks as if there isn't any regular maintenance being done on the bleachers. And believe me, I understand the spectators are responsible for the damaged, horrible look.

The biggest problems I have noticed are some of the anchors have broken and need to be resecured, and the paint has come off. But painting that stuff is always going to be a problem with them being exposed to the elements.

I am going to get a little off topic....but Bluefield needs to make their stands wheelchair accessible or atleast put a platform at the 50 yd line on both home and visitor side!!! any of you Bluefield guys have some pull up there!!! this is long overdue!!!!!!!

It is tiring rolling up and down the track to watch a football game!!!! lol

Wow, its amazing how this post has been completely ignored!!