Benefit Games

Tigers_07

Yeah, Honaker came back from two TD's down late in the game. Good to see them going into the season on a positive note.

Wow, that's great ! My wife's family are from Swords Creek and Honaker and I have a lot of friends in Honaker also, so I'm glad to hear that they had a good game.

Might just be a good game against Richlands after all !

Honaker kept their first team in after Clintwood being up 20 to 7 put in their subs. That was the only reason they came back to win it. Honaker even went as far as rushing the field throwing their helmets like wild men and you would have thought they just won the state title. Clintwood pulled their starters due to already having key players injured and not wanting to risk anymore. I was not there but got my info from a very reliable source that was there. It was not bad that Honaker kept their starters in to work on their weaknesses but why act like it was really winning the biggest game of their lives when they did so aganst 2nd stringers and JV?

Clintwoods second team against Grundy looked like a huge "work in progress"...I wouldn't put too much chest thumping in to the score once the starters came out.

Clintwood is not a deep team this year. Also their starting FB will be out untill week 2 and one of the OLs are hurt too.

Honaker kept their first team in after Clintwood being up 20 to 7 put in their subs. That was the only reason they came back to win it. Honaker even went as far as rushing the field throwing their helmets like wild men and you would have thought they just won the state title. Clintwood pulled their starters due to already having key players injured and not wanting to risk anymore. I was not there but got my info from a very reliable source that was there. It was not bad that Honaker kept their starters in to work on their weaknesses but why act like it was really winning the biggest game of their lives when they did so aganst 2nd stringers and JV?

Yes ,I was there. This post is accurate. Had Clintwood kept their starters in it would have been a different outcome. Hats off to the Tigers though,they played well and I really enjoyed the two point conversion they made at the end. Clintwood now has 3 key starters out due to injuries. Austin Dotson ,their powerful fullback went down last week with a sprained ankle. John Dotson ,All-State lineman went out tonight with his knee. Cameron Vanover went out with a concussion and was taken to the hospital. I hope and pray a speedy recovery for each of these guys. The real season begins next Friday, I pray health and safety for all players from all teams this year. :) One more thing to comment about. Honakers field is very nice,one of the nicest in this whole area. Coach Hubbard does a great job with his Tigers. Best wishes to them as they begin their season.:)

Yes ,I was there. This post is accurate. Had Clintwood kept their starters in it would have been a different outcome. Hats off to the Tigers though,they played well and I really enjoyed the two point conversion they made at the end. Clintwood now has 3 key starters out due to injuries. Austin Dotson ,their powerful fullback went down last week with a sprained ankle. John Dotson ,All-State lineman went out tonight with his knee. Cameron Vanover went out with a concussion and was taken to the hospital. I hope and pray a speedy recovery for each of these guys. The real season begins next Friday, I pray health and safety for all players from all teams this year. :) One more thing to comment about. Honakers field is very nice,one of the nicest in this whole area. Coach Hubbard does a great job with his Tigers. Best wishes to them as they begin their season.:)

clintwood has a solid team and really played well.did clintwood not bring their starting defence back in when honaker come within a touchdown on the 82 yrd kickoff return to the 1 yrd line?the changes all took place in the 4th qtr if im not mistaken.im not sure and would really like to kno.i thought clintwood started defensive subs early in fourth and played them about half the quarter.honaker was playin the second team offence in the backfield on the halfback pass.all in all it was a good game and the tigers really needed a confidence boost facing lebanon next week.good luck with the injury list and the rest of the season to the greenwave.just for the record im not here to argue about a football game .im just not sure on some things.it all runs together after a nights sleep lol

Edited by litltiger

without Dotson Clintwood is not the same team, their running game is him, either leading the tailback or carrying the ball. He means to them what a QB means to a spread team

John is the leader of the team. After the playoff loss to Burton at UVA-Wise last year ,the first thing that came out of his mouth was lets go hit the gym.No quit attitude in him, I hope a speedy recovery for John, Cameron and Austin. :)

clintwood has a solid team and really played well.did clintwood not bring their starting defence back in when honaker come within a touchdown on the 82 yrd kickoff return to the 1 yrd line?the changes all took place in the 4th qtr if im not mistaken.im not sure and would really like to kno.i thought clintwood started defensive subs early in fourth and played them about half the quarter.honaker was playin the second team offence in the backfield on the halfback pass.all in all it was a good game and the tigers really needed a confidence boost facing lebanon next week.good luck with the injury list and the rest of the season to the greenwave.just for the record im not here to argue about a football game .im just not sure on some things.it all runs together after a nights sleep lol

Most of the Clintwood folks I talked to said Honaker was very improved from last year.

John is the leader of the team. After the playoff loss to Burton at UVA-Wise last year ,the first thing that came out of his mouth was lets go hit the gym.No quit attitude in him, I hope a speedy recovery for John, Cameron and Austin. :)

I dont know about team leaders, but dotson means so much to the waves success. The kid is physical and agressive, it just seems to me that without him they are fast and talented but lack that hard_ss attitude. Not saying they are soft or anything, the situation just reminds me of haysi a couple of years ago when Caleb Powers was playing (dotson kind of reminds me of caleb on the field lean, fast, strong and nasty) a talented team with a good line but it seems like he sort of sets the tone

Honaker had potential last year, they ran the ball well. If they are able to round out their offense (Fb carries and passing game) then they could be pretty good

Edited by redtiger

Cwood DID put there starters back in the game on Honakers last drive and got burned on a half back pass (From the stands I saw the safety come up and was hoping for an overthrown pass LOL)

I THINK John is fine and had this been a real game he would have went back in the game as it was it was a good thing to get some other guys work......Vanover is OK from what I can gather and worst case should be back for Haysi....Dottson IDK I have heard Haysi but I think it would be day to day at best by then

As for Honaker they looked better than I expected Big line and hard running backs they are going to be tough to beat in the BDD and will give Lebanon all they want next week

Wow, that's great ! My wife's family are from Swords Creek and Honaker and I have a lot of friends in Honaker also, so I'm glad to hear that they had a good game.

Might just be a good game against Richlands after all !

My mom's side of the family is from Swords Creek......Miller family

does anyone know the scores for the benefit games

Richlands 31, Bassett 28

Chilhowie 27, Tazewell 12

Marion 35, Patrick Henry 0

Carroll Co. 21, Galax 19

Magna Vista 38, Dan River 14

Patrick Co. 24, Chatham 7

Franklin Co. 7, Christiansburg 7

Honaker 28, Clintwood 27

Pound 19, Rye Cove 14

Fort Chiswell 27, Castlewood 7