Lets talk 8th Grade football........

BigO

Abingdons team looked pretty good in a scrimmage against Lebanon. Speed, size and power. Play calling is SSDD, but they did look pretty good. How about your 8th grade teams. How they looking for the future?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen the ph game. The refs were horrible . . . cost us the game. Also, ph had some big kids, guess they needed some jv players to help em win. Thats fine, the falcons will be ok when they play the rest on their schedule. That is if they dont have to play the refs too!:mad:

Why are there only 20 kids out for Richlands? With how there varsity program is you would think they would be turning them away

Heard they were down to 16 the other night...was told "coaching" is the issue...

It happens everywhere when you count on one single class. The same coaches were undefeated last year. Often the class above and behind makes up for lack of success once they reach the varsity level.

For example, Honaker has a top-of-the line redshirt program and are often an eighth grade powerhouse, but their varsity teams are usually mediocre.

It happens everywhere. The same coaches went undefeated last year, so I would not put any stock in the coaching issues. When they hit varsity, usually the other classes compensate for the lack of talent in a particular class. Eighth grade success usually means very little anyway. For example, Honaker has a state of the art redshirt program and therefore has a very successful eighth grade program. You would think they would do as well in varsity, but as we see it isn't the case.

It happens everywhere when you count on one single class. The same coaches were undefeated last year. Often the class above and behind makes up for lack of success once they reach the varsity level.

For example, Honaker has a top-of-the line redshirt program and are often an eighth grade powerhouse, but their varsity teams are usually mediocre.

It happens everywhere. The same coaches went undefeated last year, so I would not put any stock in the coaching issues. When they hit varsity, usually the other classes compensate for the lack of talent in a particular class. Eighth grade success usually means very little anyway. For example, Honaker has a state of the art redshirt program and therefore has a very successful eighth grade program. You would think they would do as well in varsity, but as we see it isn't the case.

Double post much????

I saw Grundy and Hurley play each other in 8th and 9th grade football game tonight for a quarter are 2. When I left Hurley had 3 tds and Grundy had 1. Hurley had a some good lineman for 8th&9th grade team, and they played good defense, rushing to the ball and wraping up and a few hard hits. Grundy didn't have much of a line but had a few good backs. They had a kid that was in every play named Trey Oliver (I think thats his last name) hes black kid that just moved here awhile back living with his uncle I heard. He looked pretty fast and could make some moves, hes in 8th grade. If he can get some blocking he will be intresting to watch in the next few years...they had a few other backs hittin the hole gettin 5 yds are so a down.

Rarely will you hear me blame anything on referees. Abingdon has the talent we just didn't execute well in this game for a number of reasons. Was there some bad calls/no calls? Sure...but there is that issue in every game. Abingdon should win a good number of games this year...whether they actually do or not is the question. Schemes, coaching and positioning will dictate that heavily. Should we have won the game against PH? Knowing the boys that we have on this team...and knowing most of them pretty well...and also knowing a number of the kids on PH's team....yes, I think we should have. But, as they say, that's why we play the game.

is abingdon that bad?????

The Falcons have a really good team. Someone at the game said that PH had already played 2 games and had 7th graders. If we could use 7th graders the game would not be close! We have talent coming in a big way!

Saw in the paper this morning that Graham Middle is 3-0 with wins over Bluefield (28-6), Grayson Co. (18-0), and Carroll Co. (16-0). They play Marion at home next Monday (9/20) and then at Abingdon on 9/27.

Guest old_school

Tazewell is undefeated as well. The running backs are strong, the line is big and hopefully the future is looking brighter. #34 comes from a strong football talent, his last name is Davis and his dad played QB in 1986, so....

One of my old employers used to coach football during the eighties at the youth/middle/8th grade level. His opinion was that wins and losses didn't matter, but rather how many kids you could get interested in football. He felt like in the long run that you would benefit more from playing 20-30 kids, getting them all some playing time, and teaching them the fundamentals of the game.

"Who cares if you can trick a 14 year old with a double reverse? There kids d*mnit! They barely know how the game works and your worried about running up the score with trick plays...geez..."

Well, he said something along them lines. Regardless, what he said always stuck with me. Just figured I'd chime in...back to hiding...