Boise St vs. VT

Big Orange 1

The game lived up to its billing. I thought the late hit out of bounds toward the end was "iffy" at best. Still can't figure out why VT threw the ball on 3rd down when they had the lead, they gould have took it below 1:00, which puts a tremendous amount of pressure on BSU's offense. I don't see how you can't include BSU in the NC conversation. Good game, 2 really good teams.

Still can't figure out why VT threw the ball on 3rd down when they had the lead

Because VT is used to playing from ahead. Completely inexplicable for VT not to run and waste 40 seconds when Boise State has no timeouts left. And why Foster runs that idiotic prevent defense when up by less than 8 points is just bewildering. It killed you all against Boston College, and it killed you all again tonight. Your coaches EXPECT to be ahead and do not prepare fully on situations where you are behind with the game on the line.

Credit Boise for limiting you all to less than 300 yards of total offense. It wasn't always pretty, but it was effective when it mattered the most.

It wasn't about talent. It was about PREPAREDNESS. Boise had it, VT did not.

It wasn't Foster's calls, he did have a lot of youth out there and there were several times that guys were out of position. Foster was not in a prevent defense against B.C. a few years back.

Why go for two in the third quarter?? Why take the timeouts at the end of the first half when Boise had the ball??

I said Boise State would win the game and I'm used to this staff not having the team ready to play with questionable play calls on offense during the game.

It's disheartening as a fan to watch, but it is what it is. They are still my team and I will support them through and through.

It wasn't Foster's calls, he did have a lot of youth out there and there were several times that guys were out of position. Foster was not in a prevent defense against B.C. a few years back.

Why go for two in the third quarter?? Why take the timeouts at the end of the first half when Boise had the ball??

I said Boise State would win the game and I'm used to this staff not having the team ready to play with questionable play calls on offense during the game.

It's disheartening as a fan to watch, but it is what it is. They are still my team and I will support them through and through.

He sure was in prevent in 2008 against BC. Take a look at the tape. Dime defense, Blitz 3, Cover 3, man under. Play after play after play. Trust me, I remember EVERYTHING from the last 6 minutes of that game...

For another thing, you're proving my points. Those mental blunders come from lack of preparedness.

Being down by 17 points and shell shocked took a lot out of VT. The comeback effort was admirable, and the guys deserve the credit for persevering. The quick pass in the flat was open all night. The DB was for BSU on Tech’s right side was playing off at least 5 to 7 yards all night, and when the Hokies ran that play it worked for plus yards every time. The play calling on the last two series was questionable at best. On the last series, there was plenty of time to go for a first down to get into FG range. Why would you basically go “all or nothing” after your team has battled back so valiantly and played such a great second half? After 2 minutes left, the clock stops on out of bounds plays and doesn’t start again until the ball is snapped. That’s what BSU did on their final drive. Poor play calling cost VT this game. Tech needs an OC in a bad way. Stinespring is way too predictable. That said, the play at the end was interference. The defender ran into the receiver before the ball got there. The official didn’t have the nads to throw the flag.

Edited by blueinbama

He sure was in prevent in 2008 against BC. Take a look at the tape. Dime defense, Blitz 3, Cover 3, man under. Play after play after play. Trust me, I remember EVERYTHING from the last 6 minutes of that game...

Agreed, VT was in prevent vs. BC in '08...

I cannot believe no one is talking about, but Tech's special teams were HORRIBLE. A blocked punt, poor coverage, poor blocking on returns, missed FGs, roughing the kicker, etc. Realistically everyone has to admit, Beamerball is dead. Tech has been average at best on special teams in recent years.

I loved the game!! Ha!

Tech lost because they couldn't run the football. Gave up 17 points early with turnover and the blocked punt. Tech had more talent on the field. But the truth is Stinespring doesn't know a screen pass from a screened porch. He doesn't get his playmakers the ball. He has recievers and running backs all over the field. But his offense last night was let Tyrod scrammble around and run if nothing is open. Pretty sad....

I cannot believe no one is talking about, but Tech's special teams were HORRIBLE. A blocked punt, poor coverage, poor blocking on returns, missed FGs, roughing the kicker, etc. Realistically everyone has to admit, Beamerball is dead. Tech has been average at best on special teams in recent years.

Granted Tech did block two kicks, but yes I agree.

Stinespring needs to go to a spread clinic and learn some football. He has a ton of talent and does not use it. He has 2 great running backs and then Wilson. He could use Wilson like Florida did Harvin, but first you have to learn some offense and he obviously is not interested.

the way that Boise played in the 1st quarter, if they could keep up that intensity for an entire game - I'd put them on the filed against Alabama, Ohio State, and any other school.

I still don't get what everyone is so upset about. Look at the facts leading up to the game:

VT was replacing a lot of guys off last year’s team, Boise was returning EVERYBODY off an undefeated team, VT is 1-25 against top 5 teams home or away, and Boise seems to always rise in big game situations when VT seems to play their poorest. As a VT fan it sucks, but it is what it is. The offensive line still stunk it up and early on the defense was left on the field too long again. Couple that with limited depth and experience and that will usually spell doom for a defense. I knew they had protection issues on the right side of the punt team, but I never would have thought they would allow the most athletic guy to run FREE at the punter! Boise doesn’t do anything fancy, they are just efficient as hell and when they have time to prepare for one game against a quality team, they win 90% of the time.

VT will never be Ohio State, USC, or Texas. VT has more talent than Boise, but so did Oklahoma, Oregon, and Oregon State will have more talent when they play @ Boise in two weeks. Boise as the better TEAM wins again.

It was an easy call to make that VT would lose the game IMO. In a rebuilding year on defense, they could lose a few more games while that side of the ball develops.

The punt protection team has gone down hill over the years. UNC 2004, ECU 2008, Boise State, FSU, just to name a few that blocked punts. Didn't Kansas block a kick too in the Orange Bowl?

Edited by bhs7695

Tech clearly had more talent than Boise... I mean they gave away the first quarter of the game. I am not a Tech fan. But they should have won that game. The problem with Tech is Stinespring and his love affair with Tyrod. When you have the stable of backs and recievers that he has. It is shameful that his entire offense centers around letting the QB drop back and scramble. I mean you run a reverse with Danny Cole? When you have all these other top athletes that you can't get the ball to?

When you have Ryan Williams, Evans, Wilson all in the backfield. You have to commit to being able to run the football. They are going to bust some plays for you. Yea, you might have 3 or 4 for nothing. But it will happen if you commit to it. They are to good. Stinespring doesn't understand that.

Like I said earlier Stinespring doesn't know the difference between a screen pass and a screened porch. Which is where he should be sitting watching the game from....

Hopefully Bud Foster's first official move as head coach will be to fire Stinespring. I hate to say this but I'm actually looking forward to the day Beamer retires because I know Stinespring's job is safe until then.

Special Teams, Special Teams, Special Teams

If you hear these 2 words you think of Virginia Tech automatically b/c our special teams over the years have been the most consistent with production.

Last night, we did block a punt but we got blocked, missed field goals, and we kicked one out of bounds on a kickoff.

Defense looked sloppy down the stretch and missed some tackles.

Offense started out bad but we finally started clicking after a couple possesions.

I do not understand on our last possesion why we would go for the big touchdown.

Yes we needed a touchdown but we needed first downs and we had 2 timeouts. We could've done those 10 and out routes that worked ALL FREAKIN GAME and then just step out of bounds.

I had the best feeling in the world about this game until Boise got the ball with 2 minutes left.

Kellen Moore, very nice game, very clutch in the end.

I am tired of people under-selling Boise's talent. Anyone who doesn't think Kellan Moore isn't one of the top 3-5 QBs in America is kidding themselves. From my point of view, the factors that made the difference, especially early were experience, and scouting.

No doubt, Boise had Williams number all night. The Iso play was stoned every time. And when Brent Musburger is calling it pre-snap, it is time to adjust. Maybe Evans should have gotten more carries, they had more trouble with him. Boise also had other tendencies down cold. Tyrod's running was away from his tendency last year to scramble to get an open receiver.

Experience showed early and late. Boise used their experience to rattle Tech's younger players and late on the final drive. Moore and his receivers used their experience reading defenses to connect on key passes all night.

Some may think this an odd statement, but the favored, higher rank team barely survived a scare from a younger less experience opponent. That is not the way the media is spinning the outcome. Tech showed great heart and pride last night.

Kellan Moore isn't a top 5 QB. His arm strengh is laughable. He is a smart QB who plays with alot of poise and gives his guys a chance to make plays. He wins games but honestly look at the competition. If Boise was in a major conference they are at least a two loss team. They are good. I will admit that. But they are not the 3rd best team in America. No way.....

VT has talent all over the field on offense. Yet they continue to find ways not to use it. It is unbelievable to me that you have a backfield like what is in Blacksburg right now and you don't commit yourself to running the football. It is just plain bad coaching......

Kellan Moore isn't a top 5 QB. His arm strengh is laughable. He is a smart QB who plays with alot of poise and gives his guys a chance to make plays. He wins games but honestly look at the competition. If Boise was in a major conference they are at least a two loss team. They are good. I will admit that. But they are not the 3rd best team in America. No way.....

VT has talent all over the field on offense. Yet they continue to find ways not to use it. It is unbelievable to me that you have a backfield like what is in Blacksburg right now and you don't commit yourself to running the football. It is just plain bad coaching......

Its obvious you don't know much about football...you're a Vol fan...:D

Boise St. gets plenty of talent...they get the "marginal" kids that have the talent to play in the PAC 10/12 but don't have the academics/discipline to get into those schools.

They can have all the talent they want and the greatest backs in the league, but it starts up front with the o-line.