The Tale of the Tape – Falcons vs Blonaders!

Falconman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure about that anymore. 5-6 years ago, it wouldn't be a question...Richlands was the best band in SWVA. Now, I haven't seen there show this year, so I cant comment on that...but Richlands band membership and quality has been on a steady decline over the past 3-4 years.

Richlands's band owned SWVA for a good 15 years. In 2002-2003, I'd have put them against any marching band in the state of Virginia, and believe me, I heard some great ones. It's a crying shame what happened down there. Destroyed something unique and special.

Richlands's band owned SWVA for a good 15 years. In 2002-2003, I'd have put them against any marching band in the state of Virginia, and believe me, I heard some great ones. It's a crying shame what happened down there. Destroyed something unique and special.

I would also go as far as saying that the 03-04 and 04-05 years were even better. With the 04-05 "Colors" show being the best of all (if my memory serves me correctly).

But I do agree that it is very sad what has happened with the band at Richlands.

I would also go as far as saying that the 03-04 and 04-05 years were even better. With the 04-05 "Colors" show being the best of all (if my memory serves me correctly).

But I do agree that it is very sad what has happened with the band at Richlands.

"The Sounds of Color." My favorite RHS show ever. "Prism" was a beautiful piece of music. I always thought they should keep it around to play in the stands.

WOW

Is the game in that big of a blowout state that we have to talk about the bands.

I do agree the bands is or has went down real fast but I guess if your football team gets beat by small / tiny schools id start watchin the band to.

"The Sounds of Color." My favorite RHS show ever. "Prism" was a beautiful piece of music. I always thought they should keep it around to play in the stands.

It is definitely one of my favorites, and close to my overall favorite. But I'm a little partial to the "Christmas" show we did in 99-00 called "Winter Fantasy", it was an awesome show. But I may be a little bias.

WOW

Is the game in that big of a blowout state that we have to talk about the bands.

I do agree the bands is or has went down real fast but I guess if your football team gets beat by small / tiny schools id start watchin the band to.

Our Defense isn't a joke, its a for real. There'll be no blow out here (got to minimize big plays). Our school is hungry, our fans are ready, its going to be a big night for the Falcons and the guys in camo (which is apalling never would you see a falcon in that attire) in the stands will have to pull out their red hankercheifs wipe the tears. This is Falcon Hill for crying out LOUD!!!

It is definitely one of my favorites, and close to my overall favorite. But I'm a little partial to the "Christmas" show we did in 99-00 called "Winter Fantasy", it was an awesome show. But I may be a little bias.

"The Sounds of Color" was bar none the best show that RHS ever performed. I got a chance to see that show at George Wythe, and the precision and musicianship just blew me away. It felt like I was listening to a major university's marching band. That was also one of Richlands's largest bands, IIRC. Around 160 that year.

The next best show I can remember from Richlands was Holst's "The Planets" show from 2000. Being in an opposing band that year, you knew you were going to lose by the time that Richlands finished "Mars". That was the year that it snowed in very early October: the cold didn't seem to phase them a bit.

But there will NEVER be a SWVA band that will match what Richlands had in 2003. NEVER.

"The Sounds of Color" was bar none the best show that RHS ever performed. I got a chance to see that show at George Wythe, and the precision and musicianship just blew me away. It felt like I was listening to a major university's marching band. That was also one of Richlands's largest bands, IIRC. Around 160 that year.

The next best show I can remember from Richlands was Holst's "The Planets" show from 2000. Being in an opposing band that year, you knew you were going to lose by the time that Richlands finished "Mars". That was the year that it snowed in very early October: the cold didn't seem to phase them a bit.

But there will NEVER be a SWVA band that will match what Richlands had in 2003. NEVER.

I was at that competition at George Wythe as a spectator...and that was absolutely the best performance I had ever seen by a high school marching band, outside of BOA.

"The Planets" was a great show too. Some really great/powerful music in that show.

The "Civil War" show we did was pretty powerful to because it was in 2001, and the patriotism really set off some emotion. I got chills at the end of every show when the huge red, white and blue stars came out at the end, and the part that we payed taps.

I was at Goerge Wythe too and thought that was their best performance of the year. I was also at JMU later in the year when they got the loudest, and only standing ovation of the day. There were many bands there from at least three states.

In light of the big game Friday, I took a couple of days off from this forum. Mainly to reflect on my music and focus on my inner feelings. In doing so, I ask the question: “Falconman, why are you so Abingdon? What makes you proud to be a Falcon?†It was simple, I thought of you Richlands. Lets just do a comparative narrative between the two towns.

Abingdon VS Richlands

Typical Dress:

Abingdon - Business Casual

Richlands -Overalls no shirt or Camouflage

Preferred Music Choice:

Abingdon - Contemporary Classical

Richlands - Bluegrass, Country and Western

Shopping:

Abingdon - Kegley & Company

Richlands - Walmart

Entertainment:

Abingdon - Barter Theater

Richlands - Carnival or Auction House

Last Famous Person to visit:

Abingdon - President Barak Obama

Richlands - Ralph Stanley

Favorite Saying:

Abingdon - FALCON AWESOME!!!!!

Richlands - "Hey, we got a Walmart!!"

Dining:

Abingdon - The Tavern

Richlands - Walmart Snack Bar

Favorite Beverage:

Abingon - Cristal Champagne

Richlands -Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer

Favorite Song:

Abingdon - Enter Sandman (The Entrance)

Richlands - Achy Breaky Heart – Billy Ray

Tailgate Entrée:

Abingon - Filet Mignon

Richlands -Chitlins

Beach Destination:

Abingdon - Atlantis Paradise Island, Bahamas

Richlands - Hungry Mother State Park

Weekend Hobby:

Abingdon - South Holston Lake

Richlands - Bingo Night

As you can see, advantage Abingdon. Because we think can, we know we can, and Gosh Darn it! People LOVE US!!! GO FALCONS!!!! :eek:

Falconman.....LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ! I know it's taken you and whoever works with you on this stuff all week to come up with it. It's just so good ! You are sooooo funny !

We do love our Walmart ! But don't forget Lowes ! And also, it's Bud, not Pabst. If your gonna do it, do it right ! But I wouldn't trade Richlands for any other town. Something you have never realized, it's the people that make a town, and there we have you beat......by a country mile !

I think I'll go to the Walmart deli tomorrow to get me some Falcon wings to eat before the game.

Oh. and I want to thank all the Falcon fans for the pep talk to our team......I don't think coach Mance could have done a better job himself ! Not that they would have needed it though !

See you at the game

I was at that competition at George Wythe as a spectator...and that was absolutely the best performance I had ever seen by a high school marching band, outside of BOA.

"The Planets" was a great show too. Some really great/powerful music in that show.

The "Civil War" show we did was pretty powerful to because it was in 2001, and the patriotism really set off some emotion. I got chills at the end of every show when the huge red, white and blue stars came out at the end, and the part that we payed taps.

2001 was a funny year for SWVA bands. It was Graham's strongest band in quite some time, and it was Richlands's weakest band in quite some time. Perhaps I'm biased, but I thought Graham's execution and musicianship surpassed Richlands's for that 1 year.

When Richlands won at Lonesome Pine that year, I couldn't believe it. Even after rewatching the tapes of both, I couldn't believe it. Richlands's score (94.1) for "Civil War" was higher than their score for "The Planets" (93.6) the year before, when IMHO "The Planets" was executed considerably better.

But TBQH, no one was beating Richlands after what happened on September 11, with the patriotic theme in "Civil War" that Richlands had. It was very powerful, and still well performed, given what I said above. A bittersweet molding of music and world events.

The Richlands band is a little down from what it was, but they are working hard and will be back. They've had some tough things to fight through but they have some good kids and are working their tails off. They'll be back to what they were soon.

I love having the bands at the game. As a fan and a former player, i think it just adds so much to the atmosphere of the game ! It just doesn't seem the same when they are not there !

Our school is hungry, our fans are ready, its going to be a big night for the Falcons and the guys in camo (which is apalling never would you see a falcon in that attire) in the stands will have to pull out their red hankercheifs wipe the tears.

Falconman.....LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ! I know it's taken you and whoever works with you on this stuff all week to come up with it. It's just so good ! You are sooooo funny !

We do love our Walmart ! But don't forget Lowes ! And also, it's Bud, not Pabst. If your gonna do it, do it right ! But I wouldn't trade Richlands for any other town. Something you have never realized, it's the people that make a town, and there we have you beat......by a country mile !

I think I'll go to the Walmart deli tomorrow to get me some Falcon wings to eat before the game.

Oh. and I want to thank all the Falcon fans for the pep talk to our team......I don't think coach Mance could have done a better job himself ! Not that they would have needed it though !

See you at the game

Let me say, that not all of Washington County is like that, I'm from Damascus and proud to be country. Our folks are proud to wear their Camoflauge and support their team. We are rich in history and are currently trying to market Damascus as a "Country Historic Town" ; we just currently had the "General Store" open which a restoration project. The Southbound and Falconman mental picture is that of Abingdon, not the fine folks of Washington County.

See you at the game

You think the Mance comment intimidates the Falcons? We're not Gate City, or Powell Valley? Come on man?

Let me say, that not all of Washington County is like that, I'm from Damascus and proud to be country. Our folks are proud to wear their Camoflauge and support their team. We are rich in history and are currently trying to market Damascus as a "Country Historic Town" ; we just currently had the "General Store" open which a restoration project. The Southbound and Falconman mental picture is that of Abingdon, not the fine folks of Washington County.

Explain to me once again why you are talking on this thread about Damascus? Where is that again? ahaha Can't find it on my GPS.

Explain to me once again why you are talking on this thread about Damascus? Where is that again? ahaha Can't find it on my GPS.

Nooooo, trust me.......we know your not Gate City or PV....lol ! I think everyone knows that !

You need to win at least "1" state title before you are ever compared to either of them !

Believe me, we all know that all Abingdon and Washington co people are not like this guy.

Most of us don't pay any attention to him. I just LOVE to have fun with him. He's just a kid or Kids that love their team and just go over the top sometimes. I love it when they post. They never say anything that really hurts, they are just having fun with everyone !