Grundy next year.

Jason

Grundy will dominate in wrestling, but they pretty much do now.

Im actually really excited to see them in the BDD, its good for the district, I just dont know how long the district will stay together. Last weeks paper said that the doors to Dickenson Countys consolidated high school will be open for the 2013 school year,

I think you need to go back and re-read that.

They project 2013, but they haven't got approval to use the fed. money for anything other than floodproofing yet, they don't own the property they want to build on, and they don't have any plans about widening the roads going up there, and that HAS to come from county money, since it's one of those Rt. 600 series county roads.

There's no way it'll open in 2013.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They project 2013, but they haven't got approval to use the fed. money for anything other than floodproofing yet, they don't own the property they want to build on, and they don't have any plans about widening the roads going up there, and that HAS to come from county money, since it's one of those Rt. 600 series county roads.

I will go so far as to bet it wont open by 2020....the county is known for building new schools and letting them sit empty for years.

I could see Grundy and Hurley consolidated and going to Grundy...I could see TV moving more kids up to the high school and closing a lower level school....but thats about it....maybe some of the other smaller lower level schools closing.

nothing ever happens on time in Buch. Co. and nothing ever makes any sense when it does happen....thats the two things you can take to the bank when dealing with anything there.

I thought that sounded quick but my "insider" says it will happen, The roads up there do need alot of work. They probably wont have any problem using the money as they see fit and they will get the land. The projection is 2013 but I would say 2015 is more likley.

This was in BHC today re: Wise and Dickenson

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2010/sep/21/two-southwest-virginia-counties-moving-toward-scho-ar-516182/

Bristol Herald Courier

By Debra Mccown

Published: September 21, 2010

excerpt:

Two Southwest Virginia counties are moving quickly down the path of school consolidation this fall, with plans to hold public hearings and vote on final proposals before the year’s end.

In Dickenson County, the consolidation would be into new buildings; in Wise County, it would be in existing, 1950s-era buildings.

My understanding is that the COE approved there revised plans and that breaking ground could happen as soon as this spring

The Wise Co consoladation COULD happen as soon as next year

I I had to come up with a re districing that would acompany this it would be as follows

New LPD - DC, Wise/Pound, PV/Appy, Lee, GC, Norton

CD - TW, Coeburn, RC, TS, St Paul, CW

New CMD - VHS, JB, Leb, Honaker, Grundy, TV, Hurley

(TW could get moved to the LPD for travel reasons and TV and Hurley could then slid into the CD)

(A 4th District could be added if Tazwell and Richlands were to drop)

I

i have a ? about travling long distances to play football games could they not play some of the games on sat or are they a rule against it. they could start the games early so the kids would not have to be out all night.

they can play anytime...they play on sat sometimes and thursday sometimes...just easier and traditional to play on friday night if possible...i'd love to see more saturday games so i could see more teams play, but wont happen.

I was told a few years ago the plan for Buchanan County was to consolidate Hurley and Grundy high schools keeping Hurley elem/middle open. Close Prater and Bevins and send those kids to Riverview. Then build the "New School" at poplar gap to add to the projects value. The "New School" would then consolidate Twin Valley High School and Grundy/Hurley. They would leave Twin Valley Middle open. The reason to do this is to cut down the uproar when they call the new school Grundy. Then Twin Valley Middle/elem, Hurley middle / elem and Riverview middle / elem will feed the "New School".

I was told a few years ago the plan for Buchanan County was to consolidate Hurley and Grundy high schools keeping Hurley elem/middle open. Close Prater and Bevins and send those kids to Riverview. Then build the "New School" at poplar gap to add to the projects value. The "New School" would then consolidate Twin Valley High School and Grundy/Hurley. They would leave Twin Valley Middle open. The reason to do this is to cut down the uproar when they call the new school Grundy. Then Twin Valley Middle/elem, Hurley middle / elem and Riverview middle / elem will feed the "New School".

thats what i'm saying...and i wouldn't wany my kids going from hurley or whitewood or jewell ridge to poplar gap every day in the winter...either you close down for winter break for months and go in the summer (which will never happen) or you miss a ton of days...or you build better roads not only in to poplar gap but out of all these other outlaying areas...which will never happen.

its nice up on tha gap, dont get me wrong...but its not the answer...they could refurb Grundy High like they have the Jr High and use it for years to come.

what will happen is they will build a new huge school on top of poplar gap and it will sit empty for years.

Probably leave Council out, it is kinda isolated from the others. It looks like the same thing is going to happen with St. Paul in Wise County, the school is a little isolated from the others so leave it out. I could see the Coeburn kids being bused up the mountain to wise, but I dont know if the school is big enough to accomodate that many students.

Same thing Lee County did with Thomas Walker

Down the road if all 6 WC schools dont consolidate into 3 I could see Wise County with three schools one around Blackwood and another in Tacoma with St. Paul still left out but who knows

Popular Gap is nice and has lots of room but like you said its a long way from most of the county. It would be closer to Haysi than Hurley or Oakwood. Still its probably only 35 - 40 minutes from those places, road improvements would have to be made tho

Edited by redtiger

why not call it buchanan high? i dont think it will be called grundy

Grundy is the county seat...it most certainly should be called Grundy High...anything else would be wrong...they should have never named Riverview Elem as they did...should have been Grundy Elem...and Twin Valley should have stayed Garden.

I cant agree with you there Lance. Grundy High School is for the students who live in and around Grundy, if you are pulling students from all over the county then it should be called Buchanan High or name it after a prominent figure in Buchanan countys history. If it is called Grundy High there are going to be some ill feelings toward the new school and rightfully so!

I cant agree with you there Lance. Grundy High School is for the students who live in and around Grundy, if you are pulling students from all over the county then it should be called Buchanan High or name it after a prominent figure in Buchanan countys history. If it is called Grundy High there are going to be some ill feelings toward the new school and rightfully so!

there will be ill feelings no matter what...the county has no spine so i'm sure they will name it something stupid...they've already done so with Riverview...if they must do this then i'm all for Miller Richardson High and the mascot should be the slumlords. You could have crap brown uniforms and put a dollar sign on the helmets...

would also give me less of a reason to ever return to Buch Co so I'm all for it.

Just curious, where is poplar gap at? I say this for any county that is trying to consolidate, it is not fair to have kids traveling 30-45 minutes to get to school. When they shut down Pocahontas most of the kids came to Tazewell (be it their own choice) over Graham and that is a long trip for them. I don't know a whole lot about Buchanan Co but I do know from Hurley to most anywhere central would probably be a very long trip for them.

look it up on google maps its kinda hard to explain if you dont know much about Buch co. Basically its below Grundy and on top of a mountain

Ok finally found it. They are crazy stupid for trying to place it there. I know enough about Buch co just not details. That will be miserable from Hurley and Whitewood areas.

Sometimes you have to wonder where common sense went to.