Bluefield-Richlands from today's BDT...

GMan

"I don't know where they came from. We would love to play them, I think it would be great for the area because right now both of us are playing pretty good in football and imagine the people we could get at the game this year. It would be a great money maker for everybody, the stands would be packed, whether if it is up here or down there. I just don't think it will happen, I would like to see that, but at this point, no. I don't know where the rumor came from, but it wasn't from me, maybe from Richlands. If they want to call, I will be glad to get them on there."

-Bluefield football coach Fred Simon, on rampant area rumors that the area's top two programs, Bluefield and Richlands, had agreed to meet again on the football field.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, this is how the rumor escalated and how using one word can "mushroom/morph" into a "supposed" reality with no basis.Again, my opinion only on how it got started, here goes.

Richlands has a full schedule/ 10 games for the next two years. Next year, Richlands is dropping Grundy and Lebanon and I heard personally, Rick Vencill state on the radio, replacing the above two with Pulaski County and Patrick County. Now, to my knowledge, I think the VHSL allows only 10 regular season games.

This is how, IMO, the rumor mushroomed/morphed...here it is.

Graham is also called Bluefield and is located in Bluefield.....correct???

With Graham dropping to single A, there may have been questions from fans about "are we still going to play"....and the response was "yes, we're playing Bluefield."

Okay, just let your mind wander....and take it from there. Morphing into, yes, we are playing Bluefield next year....is passed around to Uncle Billy, onto sister, Sue's niece's cousin in Walmart's aisle in a chance meeting....and before you know it....Bluefield (Graham) has now become,.....hey did you hear, we're playing the Bluefield Beavers next year..... when in reality Bluefield was/is Graham on the schedule.

Just look at how the 4 year contract was mentioned....and most ppl know that schools usually only renew on a 2 year basis.

Ah, the wonders of rumors and the invention of the internet...makes a good storyline...confirmed by Coach Simon's statement...."I don't know where the rumor came from, but it wasn't from me, maybe from Richlands."

That entire article can be summed up in a few words........Bluefield is ready and willing....but Richlands wants nothing to do with it. Thats pretty much what the Bluefield coach just said.

If I'm Mance. Instead of beating up on Honaker next year, They'd be dropped and we would square off with Bluefield next year. You cant argue that Honaker provides a good gate and rivalry. A game with Bluefield would provide 3 times the game, and a much bigger rivalry.

Mance just got called out......lets see how he responds to it. Will he step up to the plate, or go crawl under a rock somewhere and pretend this never happened?

Or instead of driving right by Bluefield to go play Pulaski County ....just stop off at the friendly confines of Mitchell Stadium and visit the Beavers. The truth is plain and simple if Richlands "wanted" to play the Beavers they would be playing.

I think the whole thing stems from everyone saying Honaker dropped Richlands and therefore would pick up bluefield. Somehow WVVA announced that Richlands/Bluefield would be playing the next 4 years, IDK. Would much rather see us play the Beavers then Patrick County (the ride and competition). If we had the Beavers I wish this year was the year we had them.

Instead of beating up on Honaker next year, They'd be dropped and we would square off with Bluefield next year.

Your analogy of Richlands and Honaker, can, also, be used on the future Bluefield and Graham games. Graham will be a single A school next year....should Bluefield drop them????

Richlands is increasing the difficulty on their schedule by trying to schedule larger schools in VA. The "nature of the beast" is recognition for a VA football program comes by moving toward the center of the state of VA.

The Beavers are a great team.....I don't argue that or dismiss it.

Taking nothing away from the Bluefield Beavers, they are a quality team with numerous state championships to prove it!!!

Instead of the rumor mill talking about scheduling Richlands....some in the state of WV should question why other perceived quality programs in WV will not schedule Bluefield....I think that's the real underlying issue.

This is my last post on this subject....have a good day.

This is how, IMO, the rumor mushroomed/morphed...here it is.

Graham is also called Bluefield and is located in Bluefield.....correct???

With Graham dropping to single A, there may have been questions from fans about "are we still going to play"....and the response was "yes, we're playing Bluefield."

Okay, just let your mind wander....and take it from there. Morphing into, yes, we are playing Bluefield next year....is passed around to Uncle Billy, onto sister, Sue's niece's cousin in Walmart's aisle in a chance meeting....and before you know it....Bluefield (Graham) has now become,.....hey did you hear, we're playing the Bluefield Beavers next year..... when in reality Bluefield was/is Graham on the schedule.

Anyone who refers to "Graham" as "Bluefield" is a dumba$$...

Your analogy of Richlands and Honaker, can, also, be used on the future Bluefield and Graham games. Graham will be a single A school next year....should Bluefield drop them????

Here is the difference...Graham will still be considered "AA" for Bluefield based on WV classification numbers.

Instead of the rumor mill talking about scheduling Richlands....some in the state of WV should question why other perceived quality programs in WV will not schedule Bluefield....I think that's the real underlying issue.

There has already been talk about that...seems there are a bunch of schools on both sides of the state line that don't want any part of Bluefield...this little fellow wears many school colors but they all seem to be yellow...

pollomiedo-1.jpg

Richlands vs Bluefield is a no brainer...it's just sad that they can't make it happen while both teams are in the midst of a great run...who knows how much longer both teams will be "up"...right now is the time this needs to get done.

pretty sure the rumor came from wvva didn't it?

Hell, I'd love to see Radford on Bluefield's schedule. It's close, good competition, and Radford would be considered AA by the WV classification numbers.

Call Gretna instead. I would love to see that matchup. It would be a great game year in year out and would be considered AA also. Gretna also has problems getting teams to play them.

It's such a shame that the two best teams in the Region aren't playing each and every year instead of Bluefield having to travel to Charlotte, Clarksburg, etc. to find games. The magnitude of this game over the past 7-8 years would have been epic. It's pathetic that a few individuals ruin the fun for the rest of us.

It's such a shame that the two best teams in the Region aren't playing each and every year instead of Bluefield having to travel to Charlotte, Clarksburg, etc. to find games. The magnitude of this game over the past 7-8 years would have been epic. It's pathetic that a few individuals ruin the fun for the rest of us.

You are playing a team just as good year in year out as Richlands. Since Gate City and Richlands picked the series back up in 01 they both have 5 wins a piece. Out of the 40 games the 2 have played GC holds the edge 22 to 18. I dont much care for the travel between GC and Bluefield but this will be a great game so long as they keep playing and I think they will. Nobody else wants to play either one and it would be hard for either to replace one another if it is dropped.

Next year would be a great year for Richlands to play Bluefield. Bluefield loses nearly everyone and Richlands would stand a decent chance of winning..because we all know they wouldn't want to risk losing again. With the predictable odds in their favor, I don't know why they wouldn't schedule.

Next year would be a great year for Richlands to play Bluefield. Bluefield loses nearly everyone and Richlands would stand a decent chance of winning..because we all know they wouldn't want to risk losing again. With the predictable odds in their favor, I don't know why they wouldn't schedule.

Richlands will be losing about 20 players to graduation after this year too...

You are playing a team just as good year in year out as Richlands. Since Gate City and Richlands picked the series back up in 01 they both have 5 wins a piece. Out of the 40 games the 2 have played GC holds the edge 22 to 18. I dont much care for the travel between GC and Bluefield but this will be a great game so long as they keep playing and I think they will. Nobody else wants to play either one and it would be hard for either to replace one another if it is dropped.

Where did I mention dropping Gate City?

Where did I mention dropping Gate City?

You didnt. Not what I was driving at. You said it was a shame the two best teams in the Region did not play. I was just saying you have a team on most years that is just as good already on your schedule.

Why was the Richlands vs. Bluefield series canceled?

You didnt. Not what I was driving at. You said it was a shame the two best teams in the Region did not play. I was just saying you have a team on most years that is just as good already on your schedule.

I don't really consider Gate City to be in "the region." To me, that's like considering the Roanoke Valley apart of "the region," which it clearly isn't. You all have a wonderful program and I'm most certainly glad we have the opportunity to play one another.

I don't really consider Gate City to be in "the region." To me, that's like considering the Roanoke Valley apart of "the region," which it clearly isn't. You all have a wonderful program and I'm most certainly glad we have the opportunity to play one another.

Oh.

Don't know the specifics involved, but ultimately I think it boils down to the fact that this matchup just isn't worth as much to Richlands in a tangible sense. Biggest reason is the state line, or more precisely the fact that the two schools are on opposite sides of it. I stand to be corrected, but I think Richlands is pursuing a strategy of playing football exclusively within Virginia whenever possible.

And diving deep into my own cynicism here.... The fact that it would probably a fantastic game most years isn't a compelling reason to make it happen. Although the likely $$$ generated at the gate might be.

If I had to put money down, I'd say that the Blues and Beavers will meet again on the gridiron somewhere down there road. But I have no idea why this seems to be such a big deal for Bluefield folks.

Don't know the specifics involved, but ultimately I think it boils down to the fact that this matchup just isn't worth as much to Richlands in a tangible sense. Biggest reason is the state line, or more precisely the fact that the two schools are on opposite sides of it. I stand to be corrected, but I think Richlands is pursuing a strategy of playing football exclusively within Virginia whenever possible.

And diving deep into my own cynicism here.... The fact that it would probably a fantastic game most years isn't a compelling reason to make it happen. Although the likely $$$ generated at the gate might be.

If I had to put money down, I'd say that the Blues and Beavers will meet again on the gridiron somewhere down there road. But I have no idea why this seems to be such a big deal for Bluefield folks.

As a Blues alum I would love to see this game played every year. Playing great competition only makes you better prepared for the playoffs, and both of these teams would benefit from the game both competitively and monetarily. The debate about the officiating has been raised in the past, and to me that could be solved very easily by both schools agreeing on a neutral officiating crew possibly even outside the area. The money raised from this game would be enough to afford the best crew available.

The question as to why this game seems to mean more to Bluefield is obvious...they can't get enough good teams to schedule them. They go all the way to Charlotte, NC to get a competitive game against Charlotte Country Day. Richlands is a great team, and would be a great addition to their schedule in terms of competition, and I believe in terms of rivalry as well. And if it's not considered a rivalry it certainly should be. All you have to do is read the posts on this website to figure that out.

This game needs to happen because these two teams are currently the best two teams in the area, and the players, schools and fans deserve it.

Edited by blueinbama

This game needs to happen because these two teams are currently the best two teams in the area, and the players, schools and fans deserve it.

That's an outstanding argument which can't be easily refuted. Unfortunately, that's also very rarely a huge factor in the way that schedules are negotiated.

Richlands went through some scheduling angst back in the 1990s, and it had a lot less to do with what happened on the field as it did with what might be termed "politics." Maybe it's past time for West Virginia to take an active role in aligning its high school association in a way that guarantees its member schools a reasonable number of games each year. Just a thought from an outsider, mind you....

Guest StoneyCalhoun
That's an outstanding argument which can't be easily refuted. Unfortunately, that's also very rarely a huge factor in the way that schedules are negotiated.

Richlands went through some scheduling angst back in the 1990s, and it had a lot less to do with what happened on the field as it did with what might be termed "politics." Maybe it's past time for West Virginia to take an active role in aligning its high school association in a way that guarantees its member schools a reasonable number of games each year. Just a thought from an outsider, mind you....

Even if they did, Bluefield would still want to play Richlands. Why not play the best? It only makes us stronger.