Boucher or Griffith?

EH31

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering coal is the lifeblood of SWVA, I think its a fairly obvious decision...

Griffeth signs are everywhere down here . Boucher betrayed Coal signs are everywhere .Coal miners and families are upset with Bouchers pro -cap and trade vote and his alliance with Obama

I think BucFan nailed it. Boucher has had 28 years to influence some positive changes in our area. With that being said please respond with the Significant positive changes that Boucher has been a part of. I know of some things but I have not been the most active person in local politics and have the same questions as others. I have met and spoken with Griffith and was impressed with his views but really have not had the time to do any background work on him. So please feel free to give what info you have on him also.

spoken with Griffith and was impressed with his views but really have not had the time to do any background work on him. So please feel free to give what info you have on him also.

that's what I was hoping for. I know what everyone is saying about the 2 but i was wanting facts to back up what was truth and what was bad propaganda. I agree with GMAN though, and that was the reason I really asked this question. My job makes roof bolts and other mine supplies and deliver to most of the coal mines around here. So without the coal mines in the area I'm without a job. I understand the whole greener earth stuff but I have to look out for me which means i have to vote for whoever will keep the coal industry going.

the only thing you hear about is that Boucher hates coal, and Griffith doesn't live in the area. which one would be the better of the 2?

Griffith lives literally 11 INCHES outside the Congressional district. Boucher is a Democratic puppet. One is significantly worse than the other, and I think we know which is it. Sadly, it looks like Boucher's a few percentage points up. As much as I feel poorly about saying it, we're still going to have to wait a bit longer for more of the "AH'M A VOTIN' DEMMYCRAT CUZ MAH DADDY DID IT" voters to die. That's simply what it boils down to for me.

Sorry, 28 years is LONG enough. Time to go !

This.

Do y'all think congressmen should have term limits? The President does, why not members of the house or senate?

They should, but Congress will never, ever intentionally neuter itself.

Edited by UVAObserver

Griffith lives literally 11 INCHES outside the Congressional district.

And he'll be well within it when the 9th District lines are redrawn for the next election cycle.

The reapportionment of the House is going to be very interesting for the GOP in Southwest Virginia. There could be three Republican incumbents (Griffith, Goodlatte, and Hurt) within pretty close proximity to one another. Makes for some interesting calculus.

Term limits would help big time, but the one thing that would have the most impact would be to repeal the 17th amendment.

Today, the U.S. Senators are elected via a popular vote, this whole idea takes the power away from the states and transfers it to big interest outside the state and in Washington.

The way things were originally set up by the founders was to have the state legislators select 2 Federal Senators to serve and represent the state. Today, we have big money from all over the country supporting senators and helping them get elected to the office of Senator.

This power play is killing and has been killing state sovereignty for years, if we could ever get term limits imposed it would greatly diminish the arrogance, power and manipulation of our current representation.

And he'll be well within it when the 9th District lines are redrawn for the next election cycle.

The reapportionment of the House is going to be very interesting for the GOP in Southwest Virginia. There could be three Republican incumbents (Griffith, Goodlatte, and Hurt) within pretty close proximity to one another. Makes for some interesting calculus.

Sure does.

First, I want to know what GRIFFITH has done FOR coal. He's a 15-year politician (did you know that?), so what has HE done? Has he ever been TO a coal mine? Does he even know what a man-trip is? What does he support & oppose? What is his platform? Why is he afraid to let everyone know?

All I see are "attack" ads... same thing I've been seeing from the Repubs for years. No meat, all potatoes. Don't vote FOR me, but AGAINST the other guy.

This reminds of of something I used to hear growing up about the Devil... can't rem. how it went, though.

-------

Oh, and Boucher hates coal SO much that no one from the area has been able to challenge him.

----

"Boucher betrayed Coal signs are everywhere .Coal miners and families are upset with Bouchers pro -cap and trade vote and his alliance with Obama"

This is SO funny. Boucher has been a Dem. for, what, 28+ years? And ppl. are just now realizing it? I don't think so.

-------

"Griffith lives literally 11 INCHES outside the Congressional district."

Who cares... does it REALLY matter if he lives 11 inches or 11 counties away... he doesn't live HERE. Can't say that he's NEVER lived here, though, because he went to E&H... Why doesn't he mention that? Is he ashamed to say he went to school in the area he wants to represent?

-----

"Boucher is a Democratic puppet."

Ummmmm.... Boucher is a Democratic. Been one a LOT longer than Obama.

------

"without coal this area will be a ghost town"

Yeah, coal has been such a driving force in the fantastic growth in this area.

-----

"And he'll be well within it when the 9th District lines are redrawn for the next election cycle."

More rhetoric. Heard that 10 years ago and it didn't happen then. And I doubt that it'll happpen now, either. The 9th is "rural", and adding Roanoke/Salem would make it mixed, so it'll probably keep growing northward until everything west of 81 is in the 9th. Like I said above, it doesn't matter. He won't even say he went to school here.

-----

"should have never voted for Cap and Trade it made everybody here mad"

Nope... just the ppl. who don't know that Rick actually weakened C/T to be MORE coal-friendly.

-------

One other thing I want to add. You know that "I love Rick Boucher" spot? Notice the background? Not exactly Capital Hill. More like a shelf you'd see in a grocery store. That came from Obama's stop at the Bristol Kroger 2 years ago. Generic Democratic stumping.

All I see are "attack" ads... same thing I've been seeing from the Repubs for years. No meat, all potatoes. Don't vote FOR me, but AGAINST the other guy..

Sort of like the attack ads that say that Griffith doesn't even live in the 9th?

POT - KETTLE - BLACK!

"without coal this area will be a ghost town"

If it weren't for Coal in this area, you would be witnessing massive poverty, it is the only thing that has kept this area afloat. You may not like Coal, but don't act as if it has not sustained this area and kept us from falling deeper into poverty.

So, by your own admission, and sarcasm, this area has not experienced "fantastic" growth. Who should we hold accountable for that lack of growth? I say a 28 year representative has had more than enough time to bring "fantastic" growth to the 9th! And apparently by your quote you must agree....

"should have never voted for Cap and Trade it made everybody here mad"

Nope... just the ppl. who don't know that Rick actually weakened C/T to be MORE coal-friendly.

To weaken cap and trade means that he STILL VOTED FOR IT! Why not just vote against it? Because he receives his orders from madame Pelosi, she pulled the strings and Pinocchio cast his vote......

One other thing I want to add. You know that "I love Rick Boucher" spot? Notice the background? Not exactly Capital Hill. More like a shelf you'd see in a grocery store. That came from Obama's stop at the Bristol Kroger 2 years ago. Generic Democratic stumping.

So, lets get this straight. The President really doesn't love Rick Boucher, because his speech was not made from the capital. Therefore, the only time that we should believe the president is when he gives a speech from the Capital or from the White House. Which in turn suggests that 90% of the rest of his speeches are full of untruths or as we politically incorrect conservatives like to call it..........LIES!

Finally, It is o.k. to say that Boucher votes with the Dems everytime, AFER ALL "he's been a Dem longer than Obama," but it isn't fair to say that President Obama "loves Rick Boucher."?!?!?!?!?!?! Even though he said that he did?!?!

sorry, this makes my head hurt........

Edited by bucfan64

"Griffith lives literally 11 INCHES outside the Congressional district."

Who cares... does it REALLY matter if he lives 11 inches or 11 counties away... he doesn't live HERE. Can't say that he's NEVER lived here, though, because he went to E&H... Why doesn't he mention that? Is he ashamed to say he went to school in the area he wants to represent?

-----

"Boucher is a Democratic puppet."

Ummmmm.... Boucher is a Democratic. Been one a LOT longer than Obama.

------

To the first point, Boucher has been running a plethora of attack ads saying that Griffith lives outside the Congressinal district and doesn't have southwest Virginian interests at heart. Well, WBDJ exposed Boucher's little technical truth about three weeks ago. That is terrible campaigning for Boucher and really speaks on his integrity as a person. It's sneaky, it's misleading, it's quintessential Rick Boucher.

To the second point, you know as well as I do that there's a difference in being a Democrat and having Nancy Pelosi's ball gag in your mouth. And I hate to be that graphic, but there's no other way to put it. He does what the party tells him to, how the party tells him to, and when the party tells him to. He's proven time and again that he will put his party's interests over that of the 9th Region. He has bucked party lines exactly one time in recent memory, and that was to save his butt on cap-and-trade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only reason you're being overly defensive is that there's a legitimate threat that he'll lose, and you don't know how to handle it. The old guard is dying off, and the new ones know to question their representatives and to look at matters objectively. I hope Griffith can make a run. It will be a turning point for SWVA.

I don't know what to think about this whole mess...it's the first time in my life I can remember anything like this going on around here.

I'm all for making things better...but I'm also a bit leary of the "careful what you ask for" sort of thing in this situation.

Boucher is a senior rep and has a lot of pull DC and brings a lot to this area...he always has, if you want to say otherwise and make some sort of rant about it, then go ahead...truth is that he always has done a LOT for this area over the years...if he hadn't then he would not have been there for this long.

Griffith is going to be starting out on the ground floor...this is going to be something that is harder for him to get things done for this area than I think most people realize.

The fact is that most people in DC would sell off everything west of Va Tech to KY, TN, NC, or WV if given the chance...these people want NOTHING to do with us...period. That's the way it is, if you think otherwise then you are kidding yourself. We mean nothing here in this area to anyone who pulls the purse strings for the State of Virginia.

If Griffith gets elected, I'm honestly worried about what might happen here considering the demographics of it all. I don't care if the guy lived in Abingdon above Bouchers office, I'd still be worried just based on seniority and how things work in DC. I think there is a legit chance we will get lost in the shuffle.

Boucher, I think, could do more for the area...but, I am not sure he has done the best job or made the best decisions over the last few years in helping out here...seems like he did a lot more in the late 90's and early 2000's than he has since 2005 or so...I'm not going to be one of you idiots that just groups him in with Obama and wants him out because of that alone...I think anyone who does that without considering the concequences is just an idiot.

The cap and trade thing, i hate it...i think it's about the dumbest set up i've ever heard in my life...why anyone would support it is beyond me...sounds like a high stakes version of a back alley shell game. I have not really said much about it here because i have not had time to educate myself on it until just recently...i've read a lot about it from both sides now and it's just stupid.

I really don't know here...I'd like to think Boucher can do more for us here...but it doesn't seem like he has done a lot the last 5 years or so...then i'm afraid that Griffith wont be able to do much for us if he gets in there, even if he has the best of intentions to do so. Seems to me we are not in a good position either way.

Also, if you think for a second that Griffith can stop cap and trade, you are kidding yourself...this is way bigger than Griffith will ever be able to do anything about....not going to happen.

i'm leaning towards Griffith at this point, but I am still on the fence.

From my point of view, what has Boucher done for us really in the last several years? There has been promises of broadband in new areas, most of the areas have yet to see it or the funding for it.

Russell Co has received all of the new business. What has Buchanan Tazewell or even Dickenson counties received.

I am not saying I think Griffith is the magic bullet but I think Boucher has been in there too long to matter any more.

I wish there were congressional limits, never should be in there any more than 12 yrs. Plenty of time to get something done but not to call it a home.

As far as the cap and trade, it is written to where it will not kill coal but greatly devistate it. The real problem with it is that it does nothing to promote cleaner energy. You don't have to change anything just buy more credits and charge more for your product. In the case of power we all get screwed on that. So I ask why isn't Boucher and Griffith doing something about promoting cleaner energy in conjuntion with saving coal? I don't think anybody here will argue about our AEP bills skyrocketing over the past few years...

From my point of view, what has Boucher done for us really in the last several years? There has been promises of broadband in new areas, most of the areas have yet to see it or the funding for it.

Russell Co has received all of the new business. What has Buchanan Tazewell or even Dickenson counties received.

I can tell you first hand, a lot of what went on with Russell Co. getting what they got has everything to do with the County itself...they went above and beyond to to get it...Tazewell County was offered several of the things that ended up in Russell County and wouldn't lift a finger to get it done. I know at one point someone was looking at both and Tazewell wouldn't run the lines to the point that the company needed them...Russell county told them to let them know what they needed and it would be done...that was the difference in getting the new jobs.

I can tell you first hand, a lot of what went on with Russell Co. getting what they got has everything to do with the County itself...they went above and beyond to to get it...Tazewell County was offered several of the things that ended up in Russell County and wouldn't lift a finger to get it done. I know at one point someone was looking at both and Tazewell wouldn't run the lines to the point that the company needed them...Russell county told them to let them know what they needed and it would be done...that was the difference in getting the new jobs.

The BOS has been borderline-incompetent for years, rejecting so many new proposals that would breathe a little bit of life back into Tazewell County. I remember when a couple of them came to Graham's U.S. Government class my senior year. I remember asking them point blank why there's no new industry in Tazewell County, and get a response of "because we don't have an interstate." I asked them about providing tax incentives, and they went completely blank, as if it never crossed their minds. As serious as a heart attack.

When a 17-year-old can outpoint you on your job description, it's best to just quit.

Without making an argument, I will give you a very popular one word reason for voting for Griffith.

CHANGE!

What the heck, I'll throw another one out there..........

HOPE!

i dont think most here liked the way those two words played out last time...probably not a good idea lol.

To the first point, Boucher has been running a plethora of attack ads saying that Griffith lives outside the Congressinal district and doesn't have southwest Virginian interests at heart. Well, WBDJ exposed Boucher's little technical truth about three weeks ago. That is terrible campaigning for Boucher and really speaks on his integrity as a person. It's sneaky, it's misleading, it's quintessential Rick Boucher.

To the second point, you know as well as I do that there's a difference in being a Democrat and having Nancy Pelosi's ball gag in your mouth. And I hate to be that graphic, but there's no other way to put it. He does what the party tells him to, how the party tells him to, and when the party tells him to. He's proven time and again that he will put his party's interests over that of the 9th Region. He has bucked party lines exactly one time in recent memory, and that was to save his butt on cap-and-trade.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only reason you're being overly defensive is that there's a legitimate threat that he'll lose, and you don't know how to handle it. The old guard is dying off, and the new ones know to question their representatives and to look at matters objectively. I hope Griffith can make a run. It will be a turning point for SWVA.

Huh? An attack ad saying the guy lives outside the district? How's that an attack ad... that's the truth.

"WBDJ exposed Boucher's little technical truth about three weeks ago... It's sneaky, it's misleading,..."

I have NO IDEA what that means, so enlighten us, cause I missed that.

And G's done nothing to show me he has ANY interest in ANYTHING. Again, what's he for and against?

I'm not being defensive, let alone overly... I'm stating facts and asking questions that haven't been answered yet.

And I couldn't give a **** about who wins.... nothing to me either way. Boucher's never put a dime in my pocket, and I doubt G will either. Conversely, I've never put a dime in Boucher's or Griffith's pocket.

I just want to know what G's for and against, and what he's done the past 15 years, cause the ppl. in the 9th don't know who this guy is.