Do you remember when?

Bluefield_Rules

Newspaper game articles on Saturday mornings used to be in-depth with quotes from the participants? It's so disappointing to see such little effort put into covering area teams. Newspapers are already a dinosaur and they aren't helping their cause by cutting back on the quality of local coverage.

In the town I grew up in, not only was the coverage in depths, they had detailed game stats and the story was on the front page of the paper. Now we get better coverage here and the papers put in only token effort, with the excepttion of Larry Hypes.

Unfortunately, newspapers used to have large budgets and a staff to match. Now nearly every newspaper in America (that's still operating) is a skeleton of what it used to be because that's the only way they can make a profit. Like any business, when they stop making a profit they will shut down for good. The number of writers and photographers has been scaled back to the bare minimum, and salaried staff members have been replaced with freelancers because they cost a lot less.

The Richlands News-Press and Clinch Valley News used to have used to have separate staffs. Now they have one editor for both papers who writes every news article and shoots every non-sports photo for both papers. They have one sports editor who covers every sport at both high schools, and one sports photographer (yours truly) who covers every sport at both high schools with the exception of Tazewell football. I also shoot some for the Bluefield Daily Telegraph, and the Bristol Herald Courier.

Trust me, the effort is just as strong as it ever was. It's just spread thin. And I completely agree with the comment about Larry Hypes. He's a great writer and even better person, but he covers one school exclusively. His effort is focused.

It really isn't fair to blame the newspapers for not being what they used to be. It's the times we live in. 8-track tape isn't what it used to be either, and have you tried to find a record needle lately? Technology is changing, and the way news is delivered has to change with it. As of now they haven't found a way to make a profit online, and after years of giving it away for free, I'm not sure they ever will.

I'm fully aware of the challenges facing newspapers and falling budgets. However, if you want to continue to interest readers you need to give them a reason to buy your newspapers. Why do I want to purchase a local newspaper to read in-depth stuff about VT, WVU, etc. when, thanks to the internet, I could have found out the same information 24 hours or earlier? I don't. Local newspaper should focus mostly on local stories, especially when it comes to sports. Yes, the coverage of VT and WVU is needed, but it's not as important as covering the local teams and kids. If you're going to bother covering these games then at least make an effort to get some comments from players and coaches following the game. Otherwise, you're simply regurgitating the play-by-play of a game I most likely have already heard about the night before thanks to radio and internet message boards.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Unfortunately, newspapers used to have large budgets and a staff to match. Now nearly every newspaper in America (that's still operating) is a skeleton of what it used to be because that's the only way they can make a profit. Like any business, when they stop making a profit they will shut down for good. The number of writers and photographers has been scaled back to the bare minimum, and salaried staff members have been replaced with freelancers because they cost a lot less.

The Richlands News-Press and Clinch Valley News used to have used to have separate staffs. Now they have one editor for both papers who writes every news article and shoots every non-sports photo for both papers. They have one sports editor who covers every sport at both high schools, and one sports photographer (yours truly) who covers every sport at both high schools with the exception of Tazewell football. I also shoot some for the Bluefield Daily Telegraph, and the Bristol Herald Courier.

Trust me, the effort is just as strong as it ever was. It's just spread thin. And I completely agree with the comment about Larry Hypes. He's a great writer and even better person, but he covers one school exclusively. His effort is focused.

It really isn't fair to blame the newspapers for not being what they used to be. It's the times we live in. 8-track tape isn't what it used to be either, and have you tried to find a record needle lately? Technology is changing, and the way news is delivered has to change with it. As of now they haven't found a way to make a profit online, and after years of giving it away for free, I'm not sure they ever will.

I miss the old news press, but, you guys do a good job. Especially having to cover 2 different towns & teams !

Newspaper game articles on Saturday mornings used to be in-depth with quotes from the participants? It's so disappointing to see such little effort put into covering area teams. Newspapers are already a dinosaur and they aren't helping their cause by cutting back on the quality of local coverage.

One problem, at least with the Bluefield Daily Telegraph, is that they (apparently) have a VERY early cut-off time for printing the paper. I think in the old days it was like 11:00 pm or midnight, but I get the impression they have everything ready at like 9:00, and hold minimal space for the scores they can get by like 10 or so, or any quick call in stories they get. I know my dad gets his paper by like 3:30 am or so each day. I was in for two weeks, and was often up around then (long story...he had a pacemaker put in, and his sleeping pattern sucked), and the paper would be there that early.

One problem, at least with the Bluefield Daily Telegraph, is that they (apparently) have a VERY early cut-off time for printing the paper. I think in the old days it was like 11:00 pm or midnight, but I get the impression they have everything ready at like 9:00, and hold minimal space for the scores they can get by like 10 or so, or any quick call in stories they get. I know my dad gets his paper by like 3:30 am or so each day. I was in for two weeks, and was often up around then (long story...he had a pacemaker put in, and his sleeping pattern sucked), and the paper would be there that early.

I miss the really old days of Stubby Currence and the Press Box.

Concur about the old days and the quality of the BDT sports page in particular.

But on a personal note, I don't miss Stubby Currence's ramblings in his column one bit. His insipient Beaver homerism drove a lot of folks to become subscribers of the Bristol Herald-Courier.

This past Sunday's newspaper was delivered on my street at 2 AM...

I was but a kid during Stubby's last years with the BDT but I do remember reading his work and how it infuriated those who were not Beaver Believers...

yeah, but then Grundy wouldn't get the paper until like 8 or so.

Don't know what their fb deadline is, but when I'm at Salem in Feb. for wrestling, it's 9:30 on Fri. & Sat.

The problem lies in many places.

They have fewer ppl. in the office than before, meaning only 1 person can take dictation if you can't send the story in via internet. Don't know how bad this is now, but a few years ago, when foing to Ewing, reporters would go to a certain pizza place after the game to get a sub and borrow the phone line. They'd proof their story and send it b4 the sub arrived.

Ppl. are in a hurry. Lloyd's had the power turned off on him while still doing the radio post-game. I'm surprised it hasn't happened to Ron. But packing up and having to go somewhere else to do the story really eats into the time needed to track down a coach. When Bristol covers Richlands, Allen comes over to the station to file... better than fighting the crowd to get back up top, and he's not going to be rushed out, since I'm on the air until 11:15.

They have fewer reporters. A lot of stories are done by radio guys, who can't leave the booth and talk to the coach on the way to the locker room.

And the paper has to get to places like Grundy by 6 or so. They don't do like The Washington Post and have a midlnght-ish deadline for the first run that goes to Richmond & Charlottesville, and a 2-ish deadline for the local deliveries.

But on a personal note, I don't miss Stubby Currence's ramblings in his column one bit. His insipient Beaver homerism drove a lot of folks to become subscribers of the Bristol Herald-Courier.

Someone had to take up for the young lads from Bluefield. If the column was still active, instead of having all of Mcdowell County mad at me, I think I could have all of Richlands mad at me.

You may not have agreed with Stubby nor did I about everything and yes I too was but a lad, but he did a great deal for the athletes from southern West Virginia. I can remember waiting anxiously for the All Area teams to be announced and the West Virginia All State teams always had many deserving representatives in great deal because of him. Many of the Northfork boys got recognized despite there lack of media coverage throughout the state. Now a days, many of the athletes from the southern end go unrecognized on a state wide basis unless their teams either wins a state championship or at least makes the state tournament because we dont have a strong force like Stubby was to lobby for them.

I think the reason for that was the paper was always meant to mainly cover Bluefield happenings. That's not an insult to other areas, but the idea to cover the really broad area is fairly recent. Same goes for the TV station and their ridiculous obsession with covering Beckley (so much that they have a satellite office there...idiots).

Someone could correct me, but back in the old days, I am guessing there were more papers in the coalfield towns, so other teams sort of had their own homers. Heck, my dad told me there used to be, in addition to the Telegraph, and afternoon paper in Bluefield. The closure of smaller papers (if I am correct about that) probably drove the decision to make the BDT more of a regional paper.

I could remember an afternoon edition of the BDT. I recall one time when I played Basketball for Bluefield I was getting dressed for a game and while stubby was talking to me the druel from his mouth would roll down to the end of his pipe and into my basketball shoes.

I think the reason for that was the paper was always meant to mainly cover Bluefield happenings. That's not an insult to other areas, but the idea to cover the really broad area is fairly recent. Same goes for the TV station and their ridiculous obsession with covering Beckley (so much that they have a satellite office there...idiots).

Someone could correct me, but back in the old days, I am guessing there were more papers in the coalfield towns, so other teams sort of had their own homers. Heck, my dad told me there used to be, in addition to the Telegraph, and afternoon paper in Bluefield. The closure of smaller papers (if I am correct about that) probably drove the decision to make the BDT more of a regional paper.

Ahh, quoting myself, but I found it. The afternoon paper WAAAAAAY back was called the Sunset News. Here's a link talking about the old days, and the afternoon paper is mentioned in paragraph #3

http://bdtonline.com/local/x241161865/The-Colonial-s-curtain-call

That's a reasonable explanation, but I'm not giving Stubby a pass. A real professional would have adjusted his rhetoric to match the regional scope. That never, ever happened with him.

And because I do have some respect for the Currence family, I'll refrain from posting what I REALLY think.

I've said it before and I'll say it again..... the Bluefield Paper wouldn't even make for good TP! Richlands goes smoething like 8 or 7 and 0 can't remember which week, and Graham wins their FIRST GAME VS 0-8 Tazewell and they get a whole page dedicated to "breaking out" lol and Richlands had a small part at the bottom.

What we need is the original slash and I'm not talking about Cordell Stewart...

Talking Lloyd Combs the man is in the Bristol, the Bluefield, and the always informative Mountaineer AND on the Radio in Buch Co. as "the voice of the Golden Wave." for almost 30 years...

Bristol paper is owned by a company out of Richmond who doesn't give an S about SWVA or the paper.

Bristol paper is owned by a company out of Richmond who doesn't give an S about SWVA or the paper.

They also own the Marion, Wytheville, Bland, Richlands, Abingdon, Hillsville & Floyd weeklies, along with numerous others in both Va. & other states. From what I've heard from friends over the years, the "owners" are too concerned with the bottom line, getting rid of experience & replacing them with ppl. who don't have a clue.

The Telegraph is owned by a company in Alabama... check out their holdings ... http://cnhi.com/newspapers .

The Coalfield/Star/Post trio are owned by a Franklin, Tenn. company.

WMJD was owned by a trio until 2005. 2 of them never lived in Buchanan Co. Third moved to Tenn. around '75. With no owners around, the inmates ran the asylum and we had a good little station (local news being the exception). Then a Richlands guy bought it, and it went in the dumpster, because he doesn't know how to run a radio station .

It doesn't matter where the owner lives, it's how they want things done that makes the media outlet good or bad .

They also own the Marion, Wytheville, Bland, Richlands, Abingdon, Hillsville & Floyd weeklies, along with numerous others in both Va. & other states. From what I've heard from friends over the years, the "owners" are too concerned with the bottom line, getting rid of experience & replacing them with ppl. who don't have a clue.

The Telegraph is owned by a company in Alabama... check out their holdings ... http://cnhi.com/newspapers .

The Coalfield/Star/Post trio are owned by a Franklin, Tenn. company.

WMJD was owned by a trio until 2005. 2 of them never lived in Buchanan Co. Third moved to Tenn. around '75. With no owners around, the inmates ran the asylum and we had a good little station (local news being the exception). Then a Richlands guy bought it, and it went in the dumpster, because he doesn't know how to run a radio station .

It doesn't matter where the owner lives, it's how they want things done that makes the media outlet good or bad .

The company in Richmond is Media General. They own more than 20 daily papers including the Richmond Times-Dispatch and the Tampa Tribune. They have scaled back a lot in recent years due to the state of the newspaper industry. Newspapers are in a transition. Newsprint will be replaced by the iPad and other similar devices. And much of the content will be "user generated." The only way to change that would be for people to actually start buying papers again. And that's not going to happen. We are too used to free.

The BDT is owned by "Newspaper Holdings." That paper isn't "local." It's regional. They serve a good sized chunk of two states. I know people like to complain about that but if they only served Bluefield I doubt they could continue operating as a daily paper.

that is the reason that i like to get on here and read about our local teams to see how they done on friday night i would like to see more people post game stats tackles etc.